10 levels and no stronger than the end of BFA

“you should be able to solo what you could at 120” is addressed by which part of your post?

3 Likes

by the end of BFA I could solo some of the BFA dungeons, now I walk in one and get smashed. Nighthold on just normal takes me longer than it did first patch of BFA. Mythic Hellfire Citadel takes me longer than it did in Legion. Yeah it’s messed up, and it’s not because we lost borrowed power, they didn’t do our +10 buff right or didn’t implement it at all. People that tend to do a lot of mount runs can immediately tell somethings wrong.

3 Likes

Okay. But we are more powerful than we were at the end of BFA. Or, we should be.

Keep in mind, leveling itself should dramatically increase our base power on its own - our resistances, defense, attack, etc. all should increase. We should be absolutely CRUSHING stuff 10 levels under the cap - even in greens; even virtually naked.

We’re not. Something is very wrong.

7 Likes

I haven’t tried any yet but I was doing mythic Legion dungeons last expansion so I expect that to by even easier now. But I should, going by last expansion, be able to do BFA normal dungeons at this point. Though it sounds like they didn’t actually convert us to 50=120 but maybe 50=100 and 60=120 and we’ll need all the powerups do what we used to be able to in old content before. Not surprising since I think they never really get things correct when they do any kind of squishing.

Yeah, sorry Einstein, but that’s not how leveling is supposed to work. The moment you gain some levels and better gear, you SHOULD be better than you were fighting the exact same content as you were.

But the stupid – and it most certainly is stupid – way they handle scaling in this game, you just get weaker and weaker with every level. And now, even when you hit max level and get some decent gear (enough to start doing mythic 0s with relative ease), you’re still worse – not equal, but worse – than you were ten levels ago.

This even stretches to legacy raids. Drek you could one-shot with ease is now taking two- or even three-shots to take down in several cases. Yes, it’s still trivial, but it shouldn’t be LESS trivial than it was before.

Such a stupid method. It’s bad enough they “reset” you every expansion so that you’re a total amateur, but now they’ve even made old content a pain in the rear until at least one or two content patches into the new expansion. (And I’m willing to bet it’s going to be at least two patches before they legacy-up the older stuff at all.)

8 Likes

Well this is why borrowed power is such a good design choice for a game. It makes it to where you your character isn’t getting any stronger but you need to rely on grinding out hamsterwheels every day and every week so that you are granted a borrowed power spike. Till they take it away and give you a different one.

2 Likes

I want to add something else: given that there was a level squish, 10 levels should mean a hell of a lot more than they did 2 months ago. Instead of being, at the least, 1/12th of our overall strength, they instead represent 1/6th. Ergo, going from 50->60 should, logically, matter a lot more than going from 110->120.

But it doesn’t. In fact, the inverse seems to be true. Now, granted, I believe that at least a part of the squish was intended to limit the exact type of exponential stat inflation that I am talking about. But even considering that, it’s absolutely no excuse for things like DPS and HP not to increase at all despite gaining 10 freaking levels AND going up at least 35 item levels.

3 Likes

We can use reasoning all we want, but I’m still waiting for the whiteknights to explain how the current state reflects Ion’s “you should be able to solo what you could at 120” words when stated on Twitter in the context of level 50.

9 Likes

He’s an attorney. They’re paid to lie.

That might be an oversimplification, but, in this case, I don’t think so. Plus, the guy just oozes aloof pomposity. Were he capable of laughter, my guess is he’d have a good one at our expense.

1 Like

C’mon, I’m trying to hold out some shred of hope…

Because the last squish that was supposed to fix things didn’t work? Because after the last squish the designers did little to prevent number escalation in the intervening time? Because we now have to rely on the guys who didn’t get it right before and who couldn’t figure out how to avoid it, to not get a squish right again before they fail at squishing us again two expansions down the road?

You have nothing behind your argument whatever. You’re just here to make up random noise to distract people and try to convince them that every stat squish we ever had before is somehow the same as what we got here and now.

Because devs want to start fresh. They don’t want players having a basis of comparison.

Agree 100%. I’m out of likes or I would have liked your post.

2 Likes

You have:

1. no essences
  2. no corruption
  3. lower secondary stats
  4. no azerite
  5. harsher secondary scaling
  6. no legendary cloak
  7. no busted final raid gear

Level is just a number. Post-squish, in the pre-patch, I was nearly as strong as I was at 120 (no corruptions, those were removed). But then we leveled and now are fresh 60 with none of the bells and whistles we had in 8.3 or what we’ll have in 9.3.

We are always aignificantly weaker at fresh cap than we were at the end of the previous expac. This is not new. Wait a few months and you’ll be strong enpugh to trounce legacy raids again.

Congratulations, you did not address any part of my post!

2 Likes

Copy-pasted for you to read again.

Are you new around here? Those dungeon blues replaced your BFA BiS purples, which mean those dungeon blues are better/stronger than you BFA BiS… If they weren’t, you’d still be in your BFA BiS. If this isn’t the case, then something is wrong with the progression in WoW if old max lvl gear is better than new max lvl gear even if it is just dungeon blues.

3 Likes

You, still did not address any part of my post. Well-done!

1 Like

Really. Take a look at your secondaries, now vs the pre-patch. I had about 90% mastery, 30-40% crit and haste, and a decent chunk of vers. Now I have <10% of stats other than mastery.

This is because the hogher your level, the more stat you need to make a difference. That’s why we are weaker, because our gear has proportionally fewer secondaries. We replaced the gear because the absolute numbers were higher than BFA gear, of course. But the gear is weaker for us at 60 than Nyalotha gear was at 50.

Counter to your interpretation: Ion didn’t say, “at 60 you will feel stronger than you did at 120.” He said, “after the squish you should be able to solo what you did at 120.”

He didn’t say, “will be,” he said, “should be.” And indeed, during the pre-patch I was about as strong as I was at 120.

Until you pull up a statement from Ion that reads like, “At fresh 60, we guarantee you will be stronger than you were at 120 in 8.3,” you’re just grasping at straws.