10-50 in 7 hours? Why?

I’m more than happy with the length. I imagine the super casual levellers will take a little longer but having a day, week, whatever to cap in the content that’s there feels just bad. This streamlined version will be better IMO and also for newer players more inviting.

Long form leveling needs long form rewards. That’s why BfA’s leveling failed. Without Talents and trained skill ranks, leveling is absolutely terrible content. You’re smashing your way through 1-2 shot mobs, without having your HP dip, without threat of death, for meaningless levels, while you’re auto granted skills without player invomvment. Talents act as a tangible level up reward in the early versions, but in the modern game, Talents are looked at as endgame gameplay customization, not so much character progression.

If blizz isn’t going to make leveling its own game, it should be irrelevant. I’d prefer leveling to be its own meta and dedicated way to enjoy the game, but right now, it’s not. Leveling is a means to get to endgame, where all the content is actually developed and cared for. There’s no menchanical reward for socializing. There’s no mechanical reward for professions. There’s no mechanical reward for adventuring.

I think the current design ideology is lopsided, unhealthy, and flawed, but shoehorning long leveling times into the current leveling system is a terrible idea, because the combat and rewards pacing don’t fit the image of Classic or TBC.

New leveling is better.

All content before max level is just an extension of the character creation screen. You can already hit 120 easily in a weekend, which makes it more of a hassle than an experience. May as well make it shorter.

1 Like

And we’re to assume that all the players are going to spam run dungeons for 7 hours? Some will I have not doubt. Many, many others will not.

no thanks, dont want to spend so many hours walking around doing the same quest in another location for so long, while the only thing that change is the value of how much i hit or the level i can kill.

getting to max level is a good tutorials, getting all the skills and no you are ready to play the expansion. if you have alts, you enjoy the game from multiple perspective, BFA with all the grinding was terrible, was like been lock in a class for ever. if want to take longer, go explore all the areas, do all the quests even if they don’t give you experience, don’t mess the experience for the rest of us.

@OP No go play classic

Please don’t. Leveling sucks.

1 Like

I have 24 toons at level 110 or higher, 19 of those are at level 120. I kinda don’t want to go back to the old ways where it took 3 to 5 days played to get a max level toon. Been there, done that.

Because the new leveling system is: do exiles reach, than do all quests in an expansion, then do the current expansion. The fact that this translates to 7 hours of dungeon grind is just a detail.

The reason leveling took so long is because we had to level through every single expansion in order to reach max level, now it is just 2, and it is a massive improvement

1 Like

That 7 hours was actual time spent within the dungeons and did not include queueing. No questing was done either. And the person who ran it, MrG, did it with four level 50 friends who were steamrolling the dungeons to help him level as quickly as possible.

It’s more accurate to set 7 hours as the least amount of time it would take if you utilized similar methods as he did. Expect it to take twice as long for the average gamer.

Leveling is a useless mechanic in current wow, nothing is important until you hit 120

To me, leveling in retail is very boring and I think that end game content is the main thing that retail does better than classic (with amazing raids and such)

You are confused. You still think players want WoW. They do not. They want with something else with a wow skin.

I see your point.

No, loner leveling = turn off to new players.

They are allowing space for those of us, myself included, who enjoy leveling. With the new leveling you will be able to level 10-50 in a specific expansion of your choice, so I think you will be able to enjoy the leveling experience even more now if you like to quest. You’ll probably just need to do this on a few alts to experience every expansion. I love leveling and I’m pretty excited about the versatility of the new leveling system.

If it took 7 hours to level 10-50 and they did it solely through dungeons, then I bet I can shave even more time off.

Dungeons starting in WoD aren’t worth their time. WoD especially has treasures that can get you through that bracket in 1 zone alone or so.

I’m also guessing the 7 hour time though is with a total premade group of obviously competent players. I leveled a shaman a few weeks ago and it was super quick, but not 7 hours quick and things royally slowed down in the Cata/MoP bracket (especially if you got a Cata dungeon because they are ultra punishing and poorly tuned as well as people have far less experience with them).

I really disagree but this is from the point of view of an end game player. I’m one of those “the game starts at the end” folks. Leveling is just a means to get to it, not the game itself for me.

I would be fine if there were no levels at all, and everything just worked off of item levels + power systems. I do get why some like the whole structure of leveling though, since it is an RPG.

There’s no reason to drag out leveling. The game doesn’t really start until you reach max level. Seven hours is plenty long for alts and for a new player you know it will be much longer than 7 hours.

Let’s also keep in mind it’s seven hours per character and there are a lot of them as well. If you were to level every character to cap, and included the 50-60 part of leveling, it’s still quite the task.

1 Like