1.12 AV is a huge, huge mistake

All the people arguing against the OP will probably not be able to level high enough to que for AV and they will be the FIRST ones crying for QOL updates.

Edit: fat thumbs

6 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. I’ll probably never even play AV with it the way it is.

7 Likes

Add me to the list.

Speaking of agendas, what’s yours?

Because this reasoning behind your opposition to a vanilla-like AV is flimsy at best. It sounds more like spite or contrarian more than anything else.

1 Like

We still getting the poopoo AV blizz?

10 Likes

Thanks for bumping this Stavros, now that we got names reserved, back to the fight for a more fun version of AV!

We’re getting Classic WoW 1.13 patch, hopefully with the months and as the phases progress we can convince Bliz to give us a 1.14 patch with better AV! Not 1.5 AV, not 1.12 AV, something that’s based on AV of old with the 1.12 needed improvements - such as AFK detection. Better AV! Better AV!

6 Likes

This November marks the 15th anniversary of World of Warcraft, and we have some special things planned to celebrate the occasion. Players who log in during the event period will receive a celebration package in the mail with a Lil’ Nefarian pet and some other in-game goodies. Throughout the duration of the event, you’ll be able to participate in three unique raids with iconic encounters from past expansions along with an old-school-inspired Alterac Valley battleground.

Which begs the question "how “old school” will it be, and will classic be getting it.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/8-2-5-ptr-development-notes/237019

5 Likes

I remember entering “Alterac Valley 7” one morning and then playing it for 14 hours straight; turtled on the bridge all day. Slept for 8 hours and the next day I joined the same one, and the alliance were still piled on the bridge. After another 4-5 hours we stealthed south and ended up winning the match.

If it’s not comparable to that, then it’s not a legitimate vanilla experience.

9 Likes

I thought their excuse was they couldnt get the old school AV. I guess we shall see !

3 Likes

I’ll take “inspired” early version AV, even if not a carbon copy. But still, “old school” doesn’t tell us much. If it translates into 1.12 it will be insultingly eye-rollingly absurd on their part.

2 Likes

The problem is that back in the day, AV would take hours and even days to complete. In fact, a friend of mine once told me that he took part in an AV battleground that lasted for days, finally ending in a dead tie after the servers were taken down for maintenance.

I doubt Blizzard even intended for Alterac Valley to last so long that battles could go for days and end only with the server restart, thereby producing no clear victor. And personally, I think playing a battleground for days on end with no clear victor is going to set off many alarm bells…because then you would go in to school/work after gaming for 12/24/48 hours (with no breaks) and then you find you are sleeping on the job, can’t concentrate on your work, etc.

Now, I will concede that back before AV was changed, that the dangers of sleep deprivation, epilepsy, vision problems stemming from looking at a computer, and other dangers associated with gaming for hours or even days on end with no breaks wasn’t exactly established. But today, those dangers are more well understood, and almost every video game studio has been sued (or had threats of being sued) after someone died or was sent to the hospital due to gaming for too long and later being diagnosed with a dog’s breakfast of health problems. Heck, I would not be surprised if Blizzard was sued or threatened with being sued by family members who saw their kid/parent/etc. game for hours/days on end due to trying to win Alterac Valley and later suffering health issues. In fact, several games are now required to post warnings after you play for a certain period of time (such as an hour or two) without going AFK.

Now, would Version 1.0 AV be fun to play on the weekend? Absolutely. But if Version 1.0 AV is the one they go with 24/7, I give them 6 months before Blizzard is threatened with a lawsuit.

That was not a “problem”. It emulated an ongoing battle that you were a small part of. You could make meaningful rep and honor just playing as long as you liked. What killed that was the introduction of marks of honor and CRBGs.

12 Likes

Count me in as one of the people who fondly remembers the week long AV matches. That’s what a battleground should be. I’ll still play the currently planned AV just because the rewards are solid but it’s not something I’ll do regularly once those rewards are attained.

5 Likes

And the problem is? If you don’t like something there’s an easy way out of it, DON’T DO IT.

Just like I won’t be playing AV if its 1.12…I’ll just lvl,raid and enjoy the world! You guys have fun in your watered down non-classic AV, oh and the best part is you can hop on live and play the SAME AV!!! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I doubt you have the info/stats/facts to back that claim up…

That aliens are real and that Elvis and 2 Pac are still alive…:grin:

That’s on people, not on companies…you can sue anyone for anything whether you’ll win or not is up for debate. ITS CALLED PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY! Not blame everyone for your problems and then try and sue people cause you can’t handle your own crap. I’m a bleeding heart Progressive but you have to draw a line in the sand.

Good luck winning that case, cause its DOA…no court is going to decide in their favor and even if they did(some activist judge) it would get overturned by a higher court. Its the same reason you can’t sue McDonald’s cause you get fat and have zero self-control…:+1:

You don’t understand law…

5 Likes

I agree, LONG TURTLE AVS! I WANT TO STAY AWAKE FOR 3 DAYS STRAIGHT PLAYING THEM

Weird how the posts in favor of the actual classic AV have tons more likes than any of the posts against it. :thinking:

They had their epic moments in hours of game time but they weren’t rewarding enough to play day to day, week to week.

You’re applying the modern day WoW mindset to what’s meant to be classic. Not everything was done for the “rewards” (read: dopeamine rush of seeing numbers go up on a screen) but rather because they were fun and that alone made it worthwhile.

You’ve seen bad food metaphors, now it’s time for bad… house metaphors? For a video game? Because they’re soooo similar. Where’s a facepalm emoji when you need one?

I have mixed feelings about it. I’m not a Blizz apologist by any means but by all accounts Classic is a skeleton crew compared to the live team. Some of this might be because it’s not an active development team making new stuff, some of it might be doubt that Classic will be that successful. But when these servers are this packed tight, I hope it shows that Classic is a worthwhile endeavor and needs teams to work on things like giving us Classic AV.

Given the 15th anniversary is getting the actual classic AV I can only hope that work will be done to give that to us, they’re just focused on the launch right now and it’ll come at a later date.

Blizzard doesn’t always know best. See: Warlords of Draenor, Battle for Azeroth. This attitude of “Blizz knows best!” gutting all the fun out of the game is exactly why we need Classic to begin with. WoW isn’t an e-sport. AV is something people did for the fun of it, too.

…yes, that’s WoWcrack. That’s exactly what people want. An engaging experience that lingers with you instead of something forgettable that you just raidlog for.

bottomless pit.jpg

7 Likes

It will be interesting to see the logic used to explain things if the 15 anni version is earlier than classic’s but not used in classic.

1 Like

They think Vanilla is a PvE game is why.

Yeah if we don’t get the good version of AV then there is no point in pvping in vanilla at all.

1 Like

Oh thats going to be a deal breaker for me if its all rush strats. Original av or nothing please

Uh… If you’ve worked with computers long enough, you’d see it as a pretty solid metaphor.