1.12 AV... I'm Losing Interest

Part of the charm of Vanilla was the old, awesome version of Alterac Valley. The fact that we aren’t getting that version and the fact that phasing/sharding will be a regular part of Classic makes me think this will end up not being worthwhile.

110 Likes

OK…good for you?

20 Likes

Your silly , its going to be great , just somewhat different.

19 Likes

They* specifically said sharding wouldn’t be a perm part. It’s only initial. 1.12 AV is disappointing…I think. I never participated, so I thought I would like to. Zerg just seems to…zerg. w/e It is what it is. Not gonna keep me from enjoying everything else.

4 Likes

Understandable that people are upset with this outcome, but I don’t think this means the sky is falling. They’re definitely looking at/reading feedback (take the timeline for example) and making changes based on community input.

If 1.12 AV isn’t for you guys, let your voices be heard, I guess. It won’t be a bad idea to consolidate people on the matter in its own thread like the gigantic sharding thread we have.

10 Likes

It was great fun but was it practical? I remember my queue for AV was always over an hour probably because these matches wouldnt end and nobody liked to leave. The NPCs were strong enough that as a priest I could defend a bunker by myself just constantly moving, interupt flag clicks with a dot then hide, wait for the NPCs to do the killing. Lets compare that to a horde tower where you went to the top and they couldnt even target you at the flag. While to me it would be great if that all came back I dont know if its a great idea to have a BG that seems as if it will never end, and it was very unsatisfying to leave it when it wasnt even finished. Imagine if they made two versions, AV and AV heroic lol

5 Likes

Its not going to be for everyone. Seeya, nothing wrong with that.

2 Likes

Even if they released it unnerfed it would probably still be a zerg fest since killing the general is the only win condition and winning as quick as possible gives the most honor. I’m pretty sure the change in playstyle is less a factor of the balance patches and more a factor of players evolving over time, much like stacking consumables. Back in the day very few did it, now according to the private servers if we dont we are all worthless scrubs.

4 Likes

IDK about you, but I lived for the original AV… I lived for it…

It was the most fun I’ve had in a mmo. I felt like I was a part of a real war.

It also wasn’t like you had to stay the full 12-24 hours… I found it fun to port in for a couple hours, get some honor kills… and port out.

The times where you actually got to win one was an amazing feeling… it was truly epic.

36 Likes

Im disappointed about 1.12 AV aw well but I expected it so not as down on it. Classic is still superior to current WOW so ill play that.

I do miss old AV though.

They literally linked 3 threads where the overall consensus was old av is better.

24 Likes

Dude a turd sandwich is better then retail.

9 Likes

Why are there so many undeads with those red pirate hats… Am i the only one who notice’s this, is this a streamer thing? Or just a new fashion fad i didn’t get the memo on.

Also even with 1.12, you can still make those games last forever if people or stubborn.

My enthusiasm for classic went down a pretty good bit hearing this. Old AV is THE reason I wanted to play classic again.

AV was not ever supposed to be quick. It’s supposed to be a long, epic battleground where you slowly grind for the rewards, not get them in a week thanks to 15 minute zerg games.

25 Likes

I loved it I thought it was the best. Do you remember when it first came out and people would queue then go do a 5man, but you didnt know they had queued until they said (halfway through the dungeon) ummm sorry guys I gotta go AV just popped… And even though thats the absolutely WORST thing to happen, you still understood because AV was just so awesome.
What Im wondering tho is it still practical when everyones about getting their honor and moving on, infact people would rather lose fast then win slow. One little thing I liked to do was retake snowfall to force a stalemate and that already enraged my alliance buddies but Im all about the slow fun game, but I think people like you and me are in the minority (considering all the times I got screamed at for doing that).

2 Likes

Blizzard new Motto we make the game we want to make not a game for gamers

3 Likes

???

The general consensus in 2004-2006 was that AV was trash and so Blizzard had to change it so much because no one played it.

PVPers didn’t want to play it because it was too PVE. PVEers didn’t want to play it because it was too PVP.

AV wasn’t very popular, While some people enjoyed the mix of PVP and PVE, most did not. Thx! - John Staats

This is coming from the guy who designed Molten Core and Warsong Gultch…

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/9fb2bo/john_staats_ama_author_of_the_world_of_warcraft/e5ymu7a/

9 Likes

Fake news.

4 Likes

Make changes, people complain.
Don’t make changes, people complain.
:thinking:

1 Like

Did I miss an announcement about AV?