“No one wants another faction war!” They said in response to people saying they want another faction war

That’s Wow’s writing currently not faction wars. We could have civil wars, proxy wars, betrayal, false flags.

4 Likes

Love, nothing, but freaky deaky love!

Its more like ‘very few people want another hamfisted impotent cold war style faction conflict where no one wins or loses and stalemates until the next big bad shows up to distract everyone from it’.

And those in favor of faction war stories are under the misconception that faction war is the only war this game can have and all other wars dont count thus World of Peacecraft if they cant scream for the horde at blizzcon.

6 Likes

No, we can’t have any of those - at least not ones that mean anything, because at the end of the day the same races have to be playable on the same factions without any significant changes.

There’s a reason why every faction conflict has ended in “this leader was pushing this war and now they’re gone so everything is okay now”. Because that’s the only way it can end.

1 Like

Nothing means anything. It’s a video game, it’s only entertainment. They could make an interesting complex story but instead we get an entire expansion about the power of friendship.

I don’t think it has anything to do with can’t. It’s all about cutting costs. So we cut the story down to one simple story that everyone gets, We don’t hire a bunch of great writer’s, we hire whoever will take the job for what we are willing to pay them.

1 Like

Yes, ignore the limitations of the game genre, just “put quarter into good story machine, good story comes out”.

4 Likes

We’re down to Saturday Morning Cartoons and After School Specials at this point. I don’t feel like it would be all that hard to improve the story.

2 Likes

Isn’t the wow team bigger than it ever was? If so, this doesn’t seem like a very likely explanation for why the story is what it is. I think the more likely explanation is that they saw what was making a lot of money and just imitated that. Hence why we had an End Game cinematic in this patch for example.

It’s easiest to just assume a silent “in my little bubble” after any “no one” or “everyone”

2 Likes

What’s their reasoning? Did they think that their current customers would eat it up? Or did they think that this would suddenly cause WoW to become popular with kids between the ages of 5-12?

Well, yeah to some degree. Plus I’m sure they legit think these are cool moments or hype moments or whatever. Obviously they haven’t exactly been correct. But it makes more sense as the explanation than them cutting costs on these expansions when they are getting a bigger and bigger number of devs working on various expansions.

You just don’t understand the complexity of writing a “Power of Friendship story”.

You know those dragon daycare quests were superb, it’s what people want, really… (stares at you)… Really this is what people want. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

How is that different from genn? I’m alliance dog man hates horde growl.

I don’t want another faction war, they’re silly and make little sense

what I do want is friction between the factions, competitions
I want the factions to actually exist.

we don’t need to be sieging eachothers cities, but skirmishing over newly discovered land/resources is fine.

Everyone being all buddy buddy after the 5th attempted genocide in a row feels strange and hamfisted.

5 Likes

Some folks enjoy the faction war and others don’t. Simple.

I’m personally tired of it. It should have ended at the end of MoP.

I do see the appeal I just think that the story has gone too far in the other direction for it to make sense anymore.

1 Like

It’s not, that’s the point. We’re only Alliance vs Horde for like, 10 minutes, then we’re working together. Every time.

This “dissonance” as you call probably causes some people to think they’re in the majority when they’re in the minority.

Blizzard probably has a wider scope of feedback than just some angry forum nerds. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I think ‘another’ is the key word there. The faction wars we’ve seen have been rather lackluster. Perhaps a ‘new’ faction war could spice things up.

1 Like

Iam as blue blood of an alliance fan (really just a NE fan) but I don’t want anything to do with another “faction war.” Blizzard can’t do it justice and no good ever comes of it…. Rts would be the best way to do the faction war again.

when we had another faction war people spent the entire expac complaining about how lame and stupid the faction war was and how it should have been over years ago.