WC 3 Reforged AMD performance

Same here with Ryzen CPU and 5700 XT. If it is a driver issue (which would appear plausible given that GPU util drops to 0 when it happens) AMD needs to get moving after 3 months of reports out of the beta…

btw, in “classic” graphics it works fine regarding that massiv fps drops but that is not the way it ment to be played… especially for 30€

1 Like

Have you tried disabling or decreasing the quality level of the various effects features (Particles, Shadows, Lighting, etc). In the past I noticed that compatibility varies greatly between video card solutions and brands.

Currently I’m able to run these on High on a variety of different systems and cards without any trouble but your mileage may vary. You may need to do some experimenting with these settings to find which one may be causing the issues. It’s unfortunate but because of the large number of available hardware and driver support that’s currently available, this may just be out of Blizzards hands.

With all the hardware and driver out there, not everyone is going to find the optimal settings right out of the box. It really is just a miracle that they can get most of the machines running adequately for your first start up.

My machine is quite decent I guess:
AMD Ryzen 7 3900X
AMD Radeon VII
32GB RAM @3200 CL14

Yet I also get the mentioned stuttering. I reduced all graphics options from highest to lowest possible settings (minus the actual resolution), yet the stuttering only improves slightly.
German hardware website Computerbase just recently tested WC3R with several graphics cards, the Radeon VII as well as the new Navi 5700 (XT) GPUs are actually performing very well in this game (the 1st generation Vegas were also doing okay), however their testbed used an Intel Core I9-9900K.

So this should prove that the game has compatibility issues with Ryzen CPUs. And if that’s the case it would be fairly simple to reproduce the problem internally and provide a solution to fix it.

Btw I noticed that stuttering wont occur on several campaign missions (ussually “escape from cave” missions), its strange…

it could be that a texture or some lighting effect is the issue for some of these cards/cpus.

As I mentioned previously (or elsewhere), I’m running an old NVidia 960 GT without any issues. It may be related to the newer cards or drivers.

There is some issue with buildings and the particles and effect when they are being built that is causing insane lag.

This GPU will always have problems. It was discontinued in under a year and many reviewers have stated that they never managed to get the thing to work properly, even after it reached end of life status.

Except it does not have such a compatibility problem. I run WC3 with classic graphics at a constant locked 60 FPS even when panning line a madman. I use an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X.

Equally well people with Intel processors are complaining about the stuttering when panning issue.

I run classic graphics in Reforged client at 400+ FPS. it is smooth as butter with no stuttering issues. With Reforged graphics I get 175 FPS down to 60 in big 4v4 fights but with unbearable stuttering when navigating the minimap.

FPS alone is not the issue. It’s the freaking stuttering that is still there.

3 Likes

That’s not an argument. Plenty of people use AMD.

Can any Moderator speak to us and tell that they let Blizzard know about the issue, please?

1 Like

Did you try my suggestion above?

Yes. I am trying another drivers right now.

EDIT; drivers 20.1.3 doesn’t improve anything too.

Can someone try 19.12.2, please?

EDIT: Tried 19.12.2 doesnt improve too

1 Like

I don’t have access to a machine with those specs but let me know how your tests work out.

I have a ryzen 3600 with vega 56 and the game is a stuttering mess. How is it that this is not in the known issues post?

2 Likes

It was in the known issues during Beta, then it got removed upon release.
Changing drivers won’t fix it.

1 Like

The card runs fine on pretty much every game I throw at it. Yes it was discontinued and it was a questionable release to begin with, however the card is everything but bad and by far not as troublesome as some people talk it down. In fact, according to those benchmarks, the Radeon VII easily is the fastest AMD card for WC3R and outperforms both the 5700 XT as well as a RTX 2070 Super. So the card is not causing the stuttering issues.

By the way, is antialiasing checkbox in settings doing something? I cant notice the difference. I feel like there is no AA at all

Warcraft 3: Reforged has been weighed, measured, and found…wanting for AMD systems.

The micro-stutters associated with building and razing structures is unacceptable and falls short, way short, of my expectations of Blizzard.

I’m sure I’ll revisit some time down the road after the AMD performances issues have been confirmed to be rectified.

1 Like