Terrain looks horrible, add cloud shadows or something

title … terrain does not fit updated models.

edit:

@Blizzard

Take a look at this, this is from old source 1 I believe:

xhttps://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Dota_2_Workshop_Tools/Level_Design/Terrain_Blending

(remove x from links start)

try something similar, better blending with better textures.
Heck ask your Diablo 4 art director, ground in that game looks sick.

44 Likes

Can they add it if the game has to also be playable for whoever is still playing the original WC3?

1 Like

It won’t affect gameplay.

2 Likes

Cloud Shadows? Why would we need those?

1 Like

Immersion.

8 Likes

I mean… neat? Out of all the effect problems or other potential ideas for immersion… cloud shadows was the first thought? I’m just not sure I follow the importance of clouds in an overview RTS game.

4 Likes

This has a place to be. Why not add cloud shadows for even more immersion? This can always be turned off in the settings, who do not need it.

terrain looks like that for clarity reasons. just look how people play competitive games on lowest settings dont make it worse. eg HOTS

1 Like

I don’t like the sound of cloud shadows but something definitely has to be done about the terrain.

3 Likes

really close to refunding, and visually impaired drones replying to a good idea is not helping

2 Likes

i aggre, the terrain have pacman quality

9 Likes

The bad terrain textures and details were one of the first things I noticed. The detailed models feel completely out of place.

8 Likes

Thank you Jimmy

1 Like

I said this elsewhere, but I find that the terrain quality in terms of alignment with the models varies heavily by tileset. Some it feels perfectly fine, but the most abundant one on the ladder (Lordaeron Summer) just looks weird.

EDIT: ladder being current map pool on the beta, rather*

The enviroment in general looks bad, not only the terrain. Here is some feedback about the problems :

• Trees - on some maps the trees don’t even fit with the terrain colors and they feel very unnatural. Their stumps are way too wide and the cartoonish vibe doesn’t go well with the realistic syle of the units. You just know something is wrong when you realise that a tree stands out more than a unit.
    Possible solution: Make the tree stumps leaner, use more curved lines and maybe add some aditional banches. In terms of color, use darker, less saturated tones and avoid having strong contrasts on this type of natural structures.
  • Terrain - When you look at maps like Turtle Rock, you can see a very powerfull quality contrast between grass patches, this isn’t the case in nature.
    Possible solution: Use darker, less saturated green tones, the color differentiation between the grass patches should be very very subtile, almost imperceptible.
4 Likes

Just compare this beauty:

to this:

and cry.

25 Likes

I know it’s the beta, but man is the game drab. Like, whenever I see Terenas Stand, it looks so lifeless.

4 Likes

I know right? Wtf happened to terrain?

1 Like

They already mentioned this…

Maps can be made targeting classic+reforged or just reforged. Maps targeting just Reforged can only be played by people who own Reforged with Reforged graphics enabled. Maps targeting classic+reforged, which include all existing maps, will work irrespective of the graphic mode selected. The choice is up to the map author.

Given how they are Warcraft trees and not earth trees, are you surprised they are not realistic?

The stumps are purposely fat to make it clear why they are blocking map pathing. This is important so that a player does not get their army stuck against a forest thinking that there were gaps between the trees they could fit through.

@Blizzard

Take a look at this, this is from old source 1 I believe:

xhttps://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Dota_2_Workshop_Tools/Level_Design/Terrain_Blending

(remove x from links start)

try something similar, better blending with better textures.
Heck ask your Diablo 4 art director, ground in that game looks sick.

1 Like