Return back the classic game

It would be Either the game ends or we are left with the Classic.
If they misunderstand about having a set of old graphics you can leave the Skins layer.

Everything else new is apparently a disaster.

Arguably (and this is true across the board), why would you waste the money to optimize for 64kb when 4+GB is expected to be there for memory. People are not going to code a game in FORTRAN just because it would be more optimized. Programmers are no longer taught to optimize like they did in the past because it is no longer necessary.

(Not an excuse for Reforged)

If reforged was running smoothly, people wouldn’t care how much RAM is being used or even look at it. (For example my Outlook is currently using 1.5GB for…I have no idea what, but since my experience is smooth, no reason to care. )

I guess if they called it WC4, while leaving the original one available AS IT WAS, none of this would ever happened.
Now, if a game beautifully optimized for 128-256Mb P3 can’t properly run on 8GB i7, now there is a serious problem. This game seems to be full of useless bottlenecks…

They are not taught: Sadly true
it is not longer necessary: Enjoy today’s *****

The problem with FORTRAN is the little lack of basic OS interaction, but tbh I still use it sometimes…

Warcraft III runs perfectly when using classic graphics. For example my Ryzen 9 3900X runs at 500-700 FPS in most custom maps while only using 2 cores heavily (one of which is for driver calls). With frame limit I get a mostly smooth 60 FPS. Sure there are still asset stalls but those have always existed.

The game itself does. It means when you load the map and start to play. Besides minor bugs that appear here and there.

The whole game interface based on an awfully conceived browser doesn’t.
And you cannot stop or get rid of it, even after you have started to play.
The mastermind that spawned this should only be embarrassed…

2 Likes

Ultimately “64kb put a man on the moon” because that’s what they had to work with and they needed every single byte to make it work. But modern computers are designed with lots of memory, largely because they are not designed for just one specific purpose, unlike the computers used in the apollo era space vehicles, which were specifically designed and built with a singluar pupose in mind- and anything extraneous increases the possible points of failure.

As someone who is obviously an experienced programmer from days of yore, you were trained to appriciate that kind of efficiency becuase it was absolutely necessary in order to make things happen. Today, computers have gobs of memory and storage, so as long as it works, perfect efficiency is a secondary priority once the application is performing as expected on the target base range of hardware.

Perhaps it didn’t dawn on them that people might still be using older PCs to play an older game. I don’t know, but the reality is most of us are probably playing on at least somewhat newer systems.

1 Like

I am probably more amused by the fact that since all Blizzard games used to have that kind of optimization (if you remember the storm.dll of the good old times), I thought that they could use that gobs of memory to deliver one hell of improvement that one could think “oooooooooook I’m definitely improving my computer in order to play this astonishing game”.
Instead they ask you to double your ram and 15x your storage to run the exact same game with crippled features.
I imagine what could have been WC3 if the same developers had these average specs available 20 years ago…

Just to keep in theme:
WC3 = Apollo 11
Reforged = Arianne 5

1 Like

So what? Who cares how much storage do you have?

You’re missing the point lol. My point is that isn’t a lot by today’s standards. But 30GB is still nothing against a couple TB. If 30GB is too much for you, it’s time for an upgrade- games are only going to get bigger as audiovisual fidelity continues rise.

The point isn’t whether or not it’s too much for our hardware (it isn’t), but that it’s simply 30GB we don’t want because it’s all data we won’t be using. In other words, it’s wasted space that could be saved for something else.

4 Likes

Exactly…

What does it matter? if it’s not burdening you, it doesn’t really matter if it’s there or not. It’s not hurting anything other than wasting some bit of your time on the initial download.

It’s eating up space that could be given to something else. That’s burdensome enough.

Stop being a sycophant for Blizzard, please.

2 Likes

we don’t want to pay any more for disk space

1 Like

But you already established that you don’t need to. Yet you’re complaining anyway.

And you wouldn’t be paying more for disk space, you’d be paying the same amount as if you needed disk space for any other reason.

You’re eventually going to need it anyway, there’s no such thing as too much storage. At least you upgraded from floppy disks right? Or do you have a few million of those laying around?

I’m not. I just think this is the most meaningless, least worthwhile and least valid complaint to be making, complaining about a game taking 30GB of space when that’s actually probably low for a game these days.

You wanna talk about missing features, bugs, etc? Sure, I’ll jump on the complain train there. But this one is not valid.

See, i complain about legitimate things to complain about. But I don’t hate blizzard for the sake of hating them either. I in fact have a long standing axe to grind with them over old battle.net deleting accounts after 90 days, thus I lost my stats etc. from classic. I’m annoyed that we still don’t have the ladder system back. I’m annoyed they didn’t bring back team FFA. I’m annoyed about a lot of things. But I couldn’t give a rats behind about how much disk space the game uses.

And clearly, the people complaining about it in this thread actually have plenty of space for it, they are just reaching for more things to complain about.

Dude, I’m not ever going to use those HD assets. As long as those HD assets are on my computer taking up space, that space is wasted. So yes, a version of the client without those assets upping the file size to 30GB would be perfectly reasonable especially for those of us who don’t give a frak about Reforged.

The missing features should be returned as well, and the Battle.net re-authentication DRM disabled. But none of these things will happen, because Blizzard evidently cares very little about the game or its customers.

Blizzard deserves all the hate it gets right now. You are a sycophant whether you choose to believe it or not.

1 Like

WTF??? What does this BS have to do with the original game client which is 3GB in size?

The original game client doesn’t have wasted space. It only has what we’ll be needing.

3 Likes

Well, let’s try an allegory that shows it’s not meaningless: let’s say you had a 15 year old car. You liked it,you drove it a lot, eventually you built a garage for it, with some space to spare, for a bike, maybe a few garden tools, stuff like that. Let’s further assume, that garage had a small size, and you actually got a bigger one, housing your wive’s bike, your children’s tricycles, whatever, you still have space for new stuff, a lawn mower, maybe an extra fridge for garden parties, whatever. While your car still drives, you’re not allowed to drive it anymore, it wouldn’t get a license. Your favorite car company offers a remake of the same model though, so let’s say…golf VII instead of a golf 1 or something. Only that the new golf VII you got would be twice as big, and came with lots of unnecessary accessories, which were mandatory…You’d have three extra sets of wheels, no clue…another set of seats, a freshwater tank, whatever useless stuff you can think of, which you’d HAVE TO store together with your new car. In return some features you enjoyed, like a navigation system, air condition, retractable roof, they are no longer available in the new model, after a huge amount of complaining, VW promised to add them at a later date. Now, sure, you got a bigger garage, the double-size-car actually fits into it, and you can technically still fit your and your wive’s bike, maybe even one tricycle, but nothing else. Now your car uses double the gas, but you can afford it, and hey it fits into the garage right, so that’s fine, isn’t it? You’d still be mad, cause you’d actually prefer not to have one of your children’s tricycles out in the rain, and the garden tools get rusty already as well, you’d rather like to spend the money you need for gas on holidays , but that’s off the table.

Well, the allegory isn’t perfect, but yes, the space matters, that doesn’t dismiss the other issues that are worth complaining about, it still is an issue.

2 Likes