Reasons why the new graphic style will fail

1. The unrealistic elements allowed in the old graphic style now seem to be terrible laziness.

Did you guys see very realistic zombies popping out of after buildings collapsed in a very cartoon style? What are the unusually large units compared to buildings? Athas is giant? he is too big for footman.
What about the bizarre realistic footman still repeating only two attack animations?
Design and system of this game is designed to match the old style. Are the devs going to fix all of this? Is it possible? Even if it does, is it Warcraft 3?

1. So many things changed at once. They do not respect the original.

Whether you like HOTS or not. The new map, Alterac Pass, showed respect and upgrade to the Warcraft III old art style. In a totally different game they show respect. but in reforged, Where does the respect for the original work and why are devs making a new game?
Devs do not seem to care about the existing gamers who have played this amazing game for a long time.

1. The new graphic style itself is bad. Visibility is bad. the color tone is bad too.

I do not believe that new graphic designers are better than the great original creators of the past. They created body proportions to have the best visibility at quarter view. And the orcs look brutal in the graphic and look great.
But what, referenced the Pandaria cinematic? Cinematic is a cinematic, so it looks great. The current graphics Not suitable for strategy games. new graphics maybe will look great in a short trailer or gameplay image. but that’s all.

Please do not think this is grumbling of old gamers. please take it seriously. It’s not too late now. Note that HOTS devs have created Alterac Pass and resume development in the same direction.

13 Likes

I really do enjoy the higher polygon models, but I also see the point that is brought forth about clarity in recognisability, and after some consideration I have to agree that Warcraft’s style is iconic in its comic book flavour. Their argument that they changed it because so many other titles do it is fair, I guess, however they are that way precisely because Warcraft 3 made it so popular. I can only assume they were afraid of being accused of copying their successors on the market, which is a shame but is probably an undeniable truth.

On the other hand, they made that decision to go into a more cartoony style back in Warcraft 2 due to technical limitations, so they made their weakness a strength. Now, the technical limitations are non existant, and they can finally give this franchise the lick of paint they believe it deserves.

And “paint” is probably the keyword that a lot of people are looking for here. Whether it’s cartoony or stylised or what you want to call it, Warcraft has always had an illustrated look to it. They did make a great job re-building the iconic units into this new look, however they went away from illustration and paintings, towards a true plastic replication of these characters. I do not want them to completely abandon their high polygon models, because I always thought it was a bit of a shame how many sweet details were straight irrecognisable due to being mashed into the textures, however I believe applying textures that invoke the painted/illustrated feel more or to apply a filter over the existing textures as to make them appear more like a drawing will be a large step to appeasing the traditionalists while allowing the team to really make use of their new powerful tools.
On that note, I just watched wtii’s reaction video on the panel, and one point he brought up really struck a chord with me. He talked about how there’s not enough of the actual player colour on some of the models, which is especially notable from the zoomed-out isometric view. This is, most likely, due to the fact that they did try to be more faithful to the equipment and materials. In my oppinion, this would also be solved by more illustrated textures, working to use colours that imply materials rather than realistically visualising them.

I would also like to state the obvious and say this: The game has been worked on for a long time, but they did release the Culling mission as well as those panel screenshots and videos with the clear intent of putting together the earliest presentable version to the audience to spark interest. I expect a lot of polishing and work to come even if they stay the course with their current visual direction, which could very well optimise the current look with barely any actual changes.

2 Likes

No it won’t fail…

26 Likes

Downloaded Hots 2 years ago because it was the only free to play game at that time so anyone could give it a try…played a few games…uninstalled…
I checked Alterac Pass just now but i didn’t see the “Respect” you are talking about.
I don’t know but i just can’t force myself to like HoTS so I prefer the artstyle Blizzard decided to use

6 Likes

Oh people, c’mon! It’s still a work-in-progress, and not even nearly done. Calm your damn horses already…

Anyway, I’m extremely happy didn’t got with that HotS style, which looks like a mobile game, not Warcraft.

Also, there are tons of threads about the graphics already. Every single person don’t need to be making their own topic to express their opinions (especially the same opinions that have been said a thousand times). This forum needs a poll and some stickies, so people don’t flood the main page with numerous threads about the same topic.

10 Likes

Well doomsayers have to be part of everything nowadays. I am sure Reforged will pass 1.000.000 preorders in the next 3 weeks max.

9 Likes

The grunts, spirit walkers and abominations look bloody fantastic. Both in style and visibility.

Those should be the benchmark.

6 Likes

I think we should stop saying things like ‘high polygon models’ just because they are ‘realistic’. Stylized and colorful models can be high poly as well.

1 Like

Reasons why you’re wrong:

SC remastered

4 Likes

Give it some time. We havent gotten used to the graphics yet so its not a fair comparison.

Is it faithful to Warcraft 3? No, but it never had to be. Warcraft 3 was never perfect to begin with and all its graphics had to be abstracted and interpretted in our minds. We got used to the low poly style and read the animations or the team color splotches rather than seeing the unit as what it should actually be. Just look at mud golems in the game, they are literally brown blobs.

To be fair, the biggest issue is the lack of team color and the variance in shapes and animations. Arthas is a giant compared to zombies? So is he in Warcraft 3. Your mind just got used tobit because it abstracts it as a normal thing. In time you will treat this as normal for more tealistic graphics too. Its only jarring up close, but in regular RTS play it looks fine.

I had the gameplay playing on ny phone and watched it from a distance. The game looks lile Warcraft 3 still. Heroes are still readable from afar by the giant weapons and giant armor. Its intentional for the top down view to easily read Arthas.

We could suggest them scaling things here and there and making them all proportional for cinematics only, and that might help. In game not zoomed in, I think its fine. We just need to adjust to it first, then we can talk about things that stand out too much.

4 Likes

I like the new graphics. And I still feel that they look Warcrafty and stylized. They may be more ‘realistic’ than the old graphics but I don’t feel like the look is full realism, even the mists of Pandaria trailer felt stylized to me.

The old graphics were cartoony because they had to be. These new graphics honestly feel like the natural progression to me. Not quite realistic, and still Warcrafty in style.

Edit: spelling

6 Likes

I just wish it was more realistic and less cartoony. Less wow-ish and less hots-ish…
Because already it has some mobile game feeling to it… Warcraft Clash Royale ughh

2 Likes

I’m interested. What kind of style would you like? Less cartoony… so more Lord of the Rings like?

Look at starcraft, its brutally realistic yet it doesn’t hurt. Everyone is happy.

1 Like

Starcraft remaster is an inadequate example. In the StarCraft remaster, they kept the original graphics(unit shapes, animations, etc.) and just made it clear at 4k. I would have welcomed it if devs only upgraded the existing models in Warcraft 3 to high polygons.

The reforging they are trying to do is a mistake like remastering StarCraft in complete new modeling 3D game. the remake that does not suit the original genre, spoils the original scent, and does not respect existing users.

I respect the opinions that the new graphics are good, but it’s hard to accept that it fits into Warcraft III. Rather make a whole new game. Not Warcraft III.

1 Like

they have realistic styled units in a cartoon styled environment which goes very poorly together. they need to change the environment style to blend in with the characters. They also need to tone down a lot of the strong colors.

Ok im a vet war3 player, played 1v1 from 2004 to 2009-2010. I get that visibility of units things , Grubby also mentioned it. But tell me, how does a game like SC2 at faster pace deal with all that less cartoony and more high poly models & higher graphics and War3 cant? You dont even play with 200 supply.

And yes they need to go with less saturation, kind of like here (sc2 map with war3 assets). Still looks brighter than sc2 which is needed for war3.
i.imgur. com/04c8rtM.jpg

I find it weird some would question the visibility of units as they are with new models.

2 Likes

We don’t know the end result yet

At this point, people just are desperate for reason to be mad at Blizzard on EVERY SUBJECTS x).

9 Likes

no, we re not mad, they said give us feedback so we do.

1 Like