Night Elf Archer. Why?

it’s not in Editor directly it’s hidden material, because in TFT he uses default model

wait I’ll post a path here

UPDATE: Path is the same you just gotta put a checkbox for RoC instead of TFT model version in the followng string

1 Like

Dude if they just make a similar model to wow you would be all complaining anyways something like this " DUDE DID YOU JUST SAW WHAT BLIZZARD DID? THEY’RE JUST RECYCLING MODELS FROM WOW, THE ARCHER MODEL IS THE SAME OF WOW, OH MY GAWD REFORGED IS A SCAM AARRRRRRGH" etc… so no, let them make new models. If i wanted them to be like archers in wow or like the models in classic war3 i wouldn’t buy reforged. I want new graphics, new models, new cinematics even new campaigns. Obviously i want them to ressemble the classic models but i absolutely don’t want them to make the same models in 4k.

1 Like

Ok, by the same rule they can put assault rifles and motorcycle helmets,right?.. You are laughing at me? Do you think I’m idiot?

Nobody will complain about that, It’s called respecting your own designs that you’ve been doing for years in different games and not changing your mind without warning and laughing at the fans, because then what you create is confusion and discontent.

Anyway, I think you wrote that comment under the influence of alcohol, so please stop.

2 Likes

No i’m completely sober, i don’t drink alcohol and just admit it, you would complain just like i put there if blizzard just shove at us the same wow models. So no, let the reforged models come. And this:

“by the same rule they can put assault rifles and motorcycle helmets,right?”

is a statement a drunk man would say and make, designing a game and it’s YOUR phrase, not mine.

1 Like

You have not seen an ingame model like that in your life because it is a cinematic.

So for you to ask Blizzard to respect his own license is an aberration, it’s fine man, be happy

2 Likes

I think there’s a case for both sides.

One part, yes, they should definitely be allowed to explore and find a new style/design/look for Reforged and run with it. Different styles are what make Warcraft so broad and expansive as it is today. We have realistic cinematics, cartoony ingame graphics, whacky proportions and everything in between.

Another part is also adhering to a base concept and making things recognizeable. Just because a Grunt is an ‘Orc with an Axe’ doesn’t mean they should just use any Orc from WoW and throw it in as a basic unit. It should at least be immediately recognizeable as the WC3 Orc Grunt, and not some fully-armored Orc Warrior like Saurfang.

That is why people are not completely happy with Footman design, and the Dark Ranger design looking to be the Archer. It’s too different to be recognizeable as a basic troop. And while many of us could be okay with the change, it’s not just about being ‘okay’ about it, it’s about bringing back familiarity and not simply treating the entire original design as a soft reboot.

I mean the Transformers movies aren’t bad designs, but any G1 Transformers fan will tell you it’s the original designs that makes the series so iconic, not the alien looking Transformers from the Michael Bay movies.

7 Likes

Mark this comment guys :star:

I think there’s a case for both sides.

One part, yes, they should definitely be allowed to explore and find a new style/design/look for Reforged and run with it. Different styles are what make Warcraft so broad and expansive as it is today. We have realistic cinematics, cartoony ingame graphics, whacky proportions and everything in between.

Another part is also adhering to a base concept and making things recognizeable. Just because a Grunt is an ‘Orc with an Axe’ doesn’t mean they should just use any Orc from WoW and throw it in as a basic unit. It should at least be immediately recognizeable as the WC3 Orc Grunt, and not some fully-armored Orc Warrior like Saurfang.

That is why people are not completely happy with Footman design, and the Dark Ranger design looking to be the Archer. It’s too different to be recognizeable as a basic troop. And while many of us could be okay with the change, it’s not just about being ‘okay’ about it, it’s about bringing back familiarity and not simply treating the entire original design as a soft reboot.

I mean the Transformers movies aren’t bad designs, but any G1 Transformers fan will tell you it’s the original designs that makes the series so iconic, not the alien looking Transformers from the Michael Bay movies.

© Triceron

4 Likes

…Screw that. I want my money back.
Seriously, this looks nothing like a WC3 Nelf archer. I am not one for getting emotional over a videogame, but if this is in fact a supposed Night Elf Archer, I hate it. It’s too much. The original outfit was too revealing for some people perchance?
Now, I’m disappointed.

You’d be relieved to know that they’ve taken it down. Whether it’s the Archer model remains unknown. But a Blizzard associate on Hive Workshop stated that it’s a Dark Ranger.

We’re left in the dark again but at least someone up there may have acknowledged that this was a mistake.

2 Likes

It’s been confirmed twice that it’s the Dark Ranger model, not the Archer. Take that as you will.

Keep in mind the whole thing was taken down so it probably was a placeholder made by marketting, uploaded ‘by accident’.

Also - Lesson learned for pre-ordering an incomplete product.

2 Likes

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn’t mean that they’re ‘’ crying ‘’…
The original look is important to some of us.
The entire fantasy of the Night Elves is them being these tribal predators of the forest, and they should look like it.
The same way that the fantasy of the Orcs are these Barbarian of the wastelands, it makes no sense for them to be fully covered either.

4 Likes

Not to mention that if the Nelf archer looked like that it’d break the entire fantasy of the Night Elves.
The Night Elves as I mentioned are supposed to be these Amazonian predators of the forest the same way that the Orcs are these Barbarians of the Wastelands.
World of Warcraft is an MMO, so the gear is unified for all races and doesn’t really adhere to a specific culture.
In Warcraft 3 on the other hand the armor or non-armor should adhere to the specific culture in question.
And for Night Elves that means that they shouldn’t be fully covered.
They’re basically a matriarchal race of warrior women in the forest at this point, the way that they look should reflect their culture.

It is a big deal, no matter how much some people want to unironically cry about people supposedly crying because they don’t seem to care at all about character design…

Edit: This right here is what I am talking about ( I apparently can’t link things here, but it was a painting of orcs in their classic gear running up against a whole bunch of female night elves looking all tribal with their heritage gear from the original WoW trailer ) .
This is BADASS and it’s how I imagine the Night Elves.
The Orcs were scared for a reason when they first ran into them, because it was this group of warrior women who completely blew their minds and could go toe to toe with them ( the Night Elves are supposed to be extremely agile, it makes no senes to have a lot of tight leather clothing or armor etc. It’s basically strength vs agility in this case ).
That’s the fantasy of the Night Elves that Warcraft 3 should adhere to.
WoW sorta ruined that fantasy because they had to unify things so much, but in WC3 it should stay accurate.

3 Likes

Everyone, this was confirmed as a mistake. It’s the dark ranger, stop freaking out

1 Like

I think that the discussion has sorta changed to what they should or shouldn’t be at this point.
Some people are saying that people who didn’t like it were ‘’ crying ‘’ and they’re totally missing the point imo…
I think that it’s important that the races adhere to the original fantasy and don’t get ‘’ WoW:ified ‘’.

Do we have any examples of WoWification at this point?

The Reforged Grunt is not covered in full plate armour like Saurfang.

The Reforged Jaina has a naked belly and runes on her cloak.

Trolls Headhunters are animated quite faithfully, but I’m sure I’m missing some important nitpicks.

1 Like

Sigh, so here we are complaining about what exactly?
Because the general gist of what i’m seeing is “They’re wearing too much” and a bunch of crying.

Nerds these days I swear…
Look, if you’re going to complain then here’s how you do it.

IF that’s the new archer unit model then it does not even remotely resemble the “classic” or even the modern Darnassian archer.
It’s so different that it looks borderline foreign and out of place especially when you look at every single depiction of the archer from wc3 and even in wow…

Frankly it looks weirdly edgy and is more likely a dark ranger.

1 Like

I think that they’ve done a good job thus far.
I was referring to how we thought that this Dark Ranger model was the Nelf Archer and the responses that some people had towards people being mad about it.

I think that the people who unironically started complaining about how people were complaining sorta missed the entire point.
I think that if it had actually been the Nelf Archer then it would’ve been very justified to be severely disappointed about it, because it wouldn’t fit the overall aesthetic and fantasy that they’re supposed to adhere to.

The Warden for example has their own sub-culture within the Nelfs, so it’s fine that they’re different but the Archers are like a basic unit of the base culture of Nelf.
I just hope that they don’t mess it up and don’t go down that route of ‘’ oh, they need to wear pants and get a shirt ‘’ etc…
The Orcs didn’t have their base fantasy ruined, they’re still accurate.
So the Night Elves shouldn’t have theirs ruined and they should stay accurate too.
I think that’s a perfectly valid things to want and if they stray away from that it’d be a perfectly valid thing to be upset about.

I sometimes wonder if the people who cry and moan about how people ain’t eating it all up every time and don’t like every single thing that they put out even like or play the games to begin with…
Like if you saw that Dark Ranger and thought that she was the Archer, and then you went to accuse people who were mad about it of ‘’ crying over nothing ‘’, then it just seems to me as if you don’t really care or understand why it matters.

I hope that Blizzard delivers, but they’ve been severely disappointing and worrying me a lot as of late.
Thus far tho I am pretty happy with what I’ve seen in WC3:Reforged. So perhaps they’ll win me back over a tiny bit there.

3 Likes

You’re on a video game forum complaining about people complaining.
It’s a bit rich to accuse others of being ‘’ nerds ‘’, lol.

We care about Warcraft, a lot of us grew up playing since the very first Warcraft game.
Warcraft 3 is probably one of the most important games to me and one of the best games ever made imo, I can’t even begin to express how much I loved that game.
It’s perfectly valid to want and expect them to deliver and to be worried.

I also can’t stand how people hand-wave away it just because it’s female characters.
There are male characters wearing even less in Warcraft, these female characters should be allowed to stay accurate too.
I think that ‘’ they’re wearing too much ‘’ would be a perfectly valid argument here if it actually had been the Archer ( which is what we thought initially and what people originally responded to ).
The same way that it would’ve been valid to say that a female Paladin was wearing too little if she wore a bikini.

4 Likes

Honestly, I could let it pass if the mask is one in a 10 variation for the unit. That’s why I personally was not totally on board the DR train at first.

And frankly, I was not sure whether Kaldorei Archers had no purple in their magic at all. I know they like blue, but their skin is purple, after all.

Also, don’t forget, I have to say it - they are similar. The DR is based on the High Elven Ranger, and that is literally an enlarged Archer, with the same bow even! Not sure which had come first though.

Face it, they are similar. All these lady archers with bows. The model is also used for Sin’dorei girls in the FT campaign.

2 Likes

If you’re talking about graphics only?

Trolls are missing their hind toe, the Dreadlords lost their tail and the Blood Elves seem to be consistently shown with Green Eyes.

But to be honest, we haven’t really seen much new since the announcement. We just know that some things are updated, so people are expecting the worst and making note of any unusual change they spot.

I would expect Akama to look like how he does in WoW rather than in WC3. Maiev should look like she does in WC3 though, based on the concept art we saw, so that’s a plus.

4 Likes