J Allen Brack's Disastrous Response

Title feels like straight from YouTube. good post anyway i guess. but i feel like talking in these forums is like screeching in a black hole and expecting it to care about you and spare you from being devoured.

Brack is the king of doublespeak. This makes it seem not so bad when in fact the situation is almost beyond repair. Game might be working but the damage to the image of the franchise is irreparable.

Wording it the way he did makes implies as if their recent products have set some kind of a high bar that they couldn’t reach with this one. Completely the opposite, wow:BFA has been a burning dumpster fire since the start and the latest 8.3 patch has received just as much quality assurance as did WC3:R that it felt like playing an alpha test for the first three weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fub8PsNxBqI
Just listen to the first minute of this interview and it will all make sense.

I’m literally NOT the person crying. You are. lol

Whatever man, players asked for something and got what they wanted. I’m sorry that doesn’t fit your preferred narrative where blizzard is always the bad guy out to screw your over.

Call them out where it’s appropriate. Don’t make up fantasy theories on how things played out because you have no way of knowing what you said was true.

Um, the article says that they put aside their idea of changing the story because players wanted to keep the original voice acting. But in my language at least, there is new voice acting now… and it’s actually highly disputable as it was in World of Warcraft, the proper names have been localized… and Arthas for example sounds a lot different.

Let’s not know if I understood correctly but Blizz is not blaming us for the failure of W3R ?, for expecting too much from them?

It turns out that it is to wait too long for blizzard to comply with what it has announced in 2018? Is it too much to ask that the old customer not break? And it turns out that it is too much to ask that the game be refined to the level accustomed by Blizzard? Is it too much to ask Actiblizz to be blizz and not only Acti?

Very well you have to put them at the level of EA, Bethesda or F… Konami.

From an investor perspective it is of course always Blizzards fault since their sole focus is money. It wouldn’t even matter if Brack had straight up blamed the player community the investors would still see that as a failure on Blizzards part. However Brack is aware that he is not only talking to investors as the event is public. So his word selection has to be such that it works in a PC Gamer article as well.

The good thing about investors is that he wouldn’t lie to them. So Blizzard will almost certainly keep supporting the game. What that means in practice is of course less clear. Also I don’t think that a remaster gets a second chance in the spotlight. It’s going to be a very niche game forever.

People blame Activision because Activision ruined Blizzard and made most of their creative minds and founders leave the company. Now Blizzard is run mostly by Activision’s managers. Whoever is left from the original Blizzard team probably have no say over how to run their studios.

Yep it is not only about reforged, it seems like Blizzard totally has lost track on all their products (besides classic WoW, but im sure they manage to screw that over aswell at some point…goldtokens).

They need to step back from business talk and practice and get back to beeing nerds who like to do gud videogames.
But that would require them to get out of activisions hold.

I very much doubt players asked for the original game to be annihilated and the newer game to have less content than the original had a few weeks ago.

Fantasy in what way? They sent the majority of the work to a third party half way across the world, that’s them literally cutting corners. That alone should speak volumes.

The man has been running games into the ground since Star Wars Galaxies. Who’s surprised?

I think most of you have completely missed where this response even came from. An investor (Suntrust Bank) asked, there has been negative press, how do you plan on fixing that?

They responded with ‘updating and supporting the game’. It was 2 seconds and the audience isn’t fans…it was a bank.

(The bigger question Suntrust actually asked was how are WoW subscriptions in Q4 and 2020…aka player retention in classic).

2 Likes

Yes, but it was still relativizing/diverting their responsibility in the matter. Anyway, what I find much more problematic is the response to the players (Warcraft III: Reforged Developer Update). This does reveal a warped apprehension, lack of reflection or unwillingness to communicate sincerely.

To investors their responsibility is to make bad press go away. Currently that would require them to support and update the game.

What would be more scary would be if they had just said, “yeah didn’t meet expeditions on WCIII, we will do better on the next game”.

And for that he used the players as an excuse, which happens when you steer into a conflict of interests, which quite easily happens when you cut back on honesty/integrity somewhere on the path.

I wouldn’t ever have to give that response because I wouldn’t have sold my soul to Bobby Kotick. Assuming my brain got taken over by satan and I was forced into the position I would tell the truth and refund the game for everyone who purchased up to that point while allowing them to keep the game. I would tell them that we will do better in the future and all promises will be delivered before the end of the year and all known bugs fixed.

This is what an honorable company that cares about its community and wants to grow in the long term would do. A company that doesn’t care about tomorrow and only wants to report quarterly growth to shareholders before tanking and taking a 20 million dollar payout after shutting the company down and putting hundreds of people out of work.

We used to have the first, now we have the second. No king rules forever, but some kings deserve to rot in hell.

Well the first was the one struggling even after creating WoW and sold to the second.

Wouldn’t that make them the morally corrupt people looking for a buyout.

They did exactly this until they got sold down the river to activision. If they cared about their legacy they would take the pay cut and break free. I don’t think there are enough left at blizzard that care. They need to put blizzard to sleep, it’s embarrassing at this point.

I am a bot and I speak for myself and my fellow bots that we are offended that you would slander our bad name. Not even we beep boop would stoop so low to wallow in the mud of blizzard.

1 Like

His response is pathetic and he should be fired, nothing but an empty suit

2 Likes