How do I play the original Warcraft 3 now?

I have limited space and now it’s asking for a 30gb update to play my original version, is there no way to just play the classic game?

19 Likes

I’m not even prompted to update to a new version, I just straight up can’t play TFT anymore.

Blizzard is some scumbags.

24 Likes

One has to install the full update. This is because even without buying Reforged, the World Editor can show Reforged models.

If storage space is a concern consider investing in a 512 GB SSD to act as a gaming partition. These cost £50 for reputable ones from Samsung and possibly less from lower quality vendors. 512 GB SSD is more than enough space for a few games.

Try uninstalling the existing version. Then from the BattleNet application installing Reforged. I would imagine this as a work around as it is effectively re-installing Warcraft III.

Check there is not a new mac installer for Warcraft III. Otherwise if there is no native BattleNet application then you may want to consider making a topic about it.

I am on a Mac, the battlenet app does not work with wc3 and i had to do weird workarounds to get it to work as it is.

I’m not buying a second SSD to play a 15 year old game I could play the previous day.

50 Likes

In which case your only option is to free space on your existing SSD.

It’s not even the space that is annoying to me, it’s that I don’t want any of the new features like the hideous mobile game menus. I just want to play the original which I’ve been playing for years just fine.

31 Likes

I came here to post almost exactly this same thing. After struggling with “Reforged” for the entire evening I uninstalled it, intending to go back to the original TFT I played yesterday, and for years and years before, only to find that my uninstall removed those games too, and now there is no way to reinstall them from the blizzard site as there was yesterday. I’m looking at the WC3:RoC and WC3:TFT boxes on my desk right now; I just pulled them out to have the CD keys handy. How can it be that these two games are essentially erased, and replaced with a completely broken, unplayable game?

I’m very hopeful that I’ve misunderstood and am simply missing the easy step to revert back to the playable earlier versions.

I appreciate any help.

21 Likes

Reforged is playable. I checked this out earlier and had no issues next to some server teething problems (common for Blizzard launchers) that will be fixed over the coming few days.

I’m genuinely happy for you. I’ll guess your PC lives up to its namesake and is super good!

Reforged far out-paces my PC that is now several years old. I’m looking for the process by which I can play the original WC3 games that are well within my PC capabilities and worked perfectly fine up to yesterday.

9 Likes

This is very much how I feel.

4 Likes

I agree that the original WC3 was best. I think that they should not have streamlined the two of them together because now they’ve broken the original game and it was almost perfect the way it was for custom games in my opinion. There was no warning of this change for the original players of WC3 and so I feel that they may need to separate the two again.

7 Likes

No Changes for WC3 TFT players !!?? I also cannot use the game anymore.
Login on new BattleNet Tool with new account is possible, but game start
ends with error message on options and leave start screen.

Blizzard Support, please support !

9 Likes

Unable to play the game as I used to play it. Ironic considering the company took into account feedback which said “Please don’t change the game”.

Well well well, you HAVE changed the game! You’ve made it impossible for it to be played! I still have no received help on any of the forum posts I have posted. I think enough is enough.

9 Likes

bro, this is so frustrating, i cannot get on original TFT and log on to my existing accounts, not even a chance to say goodbye to my 20+ icons fark

1 Like

I don’t care at all about reforged, some friends wanted it and I wanted to stick with classic.
Thought it would be nice to be able to play together at least. But now they erased the classic game in favor of some phone-like-client which lags and the game also lags.
I played it almost 20 years ago on shitty laptop and it worked fine, I’ve played on my current ‘good’ pc and it was fine. Patch hit and boom, it feels like sitting on w95 trying to run diablo 2 with 12-15 fps.

6 Likes

Hi,
Maybe this helps. I could solve it as described.
Best Regards,

It’s true. It would be better if Blizzard devs just made reforged a separate game. I understand why they’ve done it but it would be easier for original classic users to just have the same old lobby they’ve had, not this weird monstrosity or slidy thing on the options.

Have you tried classic graphics? The performance is pretty much the same as it always has been, if not vastly improved.

I have yet to experience this. If anything 1.32 is much more optimized. Complex custom maps are literally loading in 1-2 seconds as opposed to the 1-2 minutes of old.

Classic graphics?

Might also want to post the hardware you use in case it is a compatibility issue with the hardware.

how can you type in the keys? where? what is battleNet Tool? you mean battle net app?