How do I play the original Warcraft 3 now?

go to blizzard.com, click on games, then downloads… warcraft 3 tft and warcraft 3 roc is both there under classic games… ready to download… not tried it because i actually like reforged so far… but i’m sure the downloads would work… if not then i’m sorry

Unfortunately, that does not work. It forces you to download the new 30gb client.

3 Likes

well… i think i would actually try to chat or talk to someone at blizzard and see if there is a work around instead of doing this forum and expecting or waiting on bliz to reply here

These are the official forums, this is where you bring up technical issues such as this.

2 Likes

yes, you are correct… however, sometimes… it’s just best to actually contact them lol

1 Like

If someone figures out how to play Warcraft 3 TFT on BATTLLENET PLEASE POST HERE

2 Likes

For me it worked like this…

• Already had both RoC and TFT keys attached to my BattleNet 2.0 account.
  • Already had 1.31 installed. Was installed via classic launcher before.
  • Updated to 1.32. 20 GB odd patch.
  • Opened BattleNet application. The same one used to play D3, SC2, HotS e.t.c.
  • Started Warcraft III Reforged (patch 1.32).
  • Can play with classic graphics and TFT balance as expected. Custom maps work. Some server issues but these are common for game launches and usually get resolved in a week or so at latest.

I do not own Warcraft III Reforged, only the old RoC and TFT CD Keys.

1 Like

Yes, running classic graphics and since patch they lag a lot, fps went from solid 60+(I guess) down to sub 30. Tried changing the resolution and fps settings but didn’t change anything :slightly_frowning_face:
GTX 970 4gb, 16gb ram, intel i5 3,3k ghz.

1 Like

It turns out you can actually link your current permanent Blizzard account to your previous account if you were high up in the ladder. You can link it to your old account in the settings. I hope that somewhat helps you.

1 Like

Very strange. For me running classic graphics FPS is locked at a steady 60 irrespective of what I do. If I uncap, then it runs anywhere from 280 FPS to 400 FPS.

Now a Ryzen 9 3900X is faster than a 3.3 GHz I5. But at most 50% faster odd for such a game. I would be expecting you to get at least 180 FPS odd at worst in most reasonable custom maps and 12v12 (no AI) melee.

Have you tried a graphic driver update? Remove the existing one with Display Driver Uninstaller then install the latest one.

I reinstalled from the original CDs, then got the patch I needed for solo play on (can’t put links in the message, it could break Blizzard’s forum. But just google Warcraft III updates, you’ll find it on your own). I guess that’s the only way to play the campaigns. You can also make a Local Area Network from the main menu to play against friends. As for Reforged, I could not log in, and the option to play offline was mysteriously greyed out… And since I logged in from the Battle. net launcher, it’s even more baffling that I could not just forego connecting to go straight to offline play!

Blizzard still not responding? Maybe it’s because they’re too embarrassed they’ll have to be dealing with a law suit in Australia due to misleading the people! Spread the word! A petition is coming.

3 Likes

Hallo my frends

This is a catastrophe…
WC3 its a big part of my life, of my good memories…
I was dreaming, dat in 20 years ,i will be old and still plaing this game.
I dont will play this absolytly catastrophic “reforged”.
Its not only about the graphics. Original atmosohere ist lost.

I dont buy reforged and now i lost my WC3 Classic client…

I will my money back, wich i give for blizzard many years ago, when i buy CD’s with WC3 RoC and TFT.

1 Like

I do not think wasting peoples time is very constructive. We all know petitions do nothing, especially when only 1,000 or so people sign them, many of which might not even own Reforged.

You never gave Blizzard any money buying the CDs. You paid Sierra, their publisher.

Also the CD Keys can still be used to play Warcraft III with classic graphics. I played a nice match of S.W.A.T. Aftermath earlier.

Also the reason the classic lighting looks different is because it is technically different. I think the lighting is now using more correct mathematics which is why everything appears more saturated.

This game is “you think you want it, but you don’t”, except I don’t remember anyone asking for it.

Why does the publisher make money on the game being sold, but the maker doesn’t?

If you really believe that ? So Sierra is the one who took all the revenue ? Don’t be naive.

1. Blizzard gave people an option, leave your CD’s keys with us for safekeeping

2. By withholding i should even say removing access to an actual product you bought they are acting like a ? How would you call it ? In my eye’s this looks like common thievery.

3. Current game is not what people have paid for many years ago.

4. Game that i bought many years ago had totally different system requirements. It was an old game made for machines that are now being considered old.

Where does it say you are obliged to buy new PC ?

You Sir seems to be blind to some issues here.

1 Like

I have the same issue, TFT worked fine and i had no issues before the reforged update.

After i installed the reforged update I launch the game and get “there was an error handling the request” and I cannot play TFT nor can I play Reforged and i pre-ordered it in January of 2019.

So No, Reforged is not playable at all for me, and neither is the original game that worked fine for over a decade.

I wanna reiterate, Reforged gets an error that makes it unplayable, the original that worked fine for over a decade has been removed and cannot be played either.

Hence, reforged and the original are unplayable for me.

Just wanted to make that clear.

The publisher pays them based on the number of CDs sold to distributors. The publisher deals with most of the distribution issues and publication issues.

The shop who you brought the game CD and CD Key from took the revenue. They then used some of that to pay the publisher for the batch of CDs they brought from them to sell.

If those CDs actually sold does not directly effect the publisher since the shop already brought and paid for them. The only thing they stood to lose was their reputation. Sierra did not care much about that, judging by Empire Earth 3 and the various Spyro the Dragon games they made.

If ones PC is that old one should consider a new one. Running Windows XP is not safe…

If you did not cancel your pre-order and ended up paying for it (not that the “check bounced”), then contact support.

Thanks for your concern, still that’s solely my decision. I may use windows 95 if i wish to, it’s not their business.
Blizzard is in no position to make those type of decision on my behalf.