Faction identity bug

There seems to be some sort of glitch with the secondary identities of the factions in StarCraft: Remastered. I remember from the final Terran campaign mission, for example (in which you play Blue Terran against White Terran and Red Terran), that the factions were labeled, respectively: “(Player name): Former Colonial Militia”; “Alpha Squadron: Sons of Korhal”; and “Elite Guard: Sons of Korhal”.

When I played this scenario today in Remastered, the primary identity was correct, but the secondary identity was not; they showed up as “(Player name)”, “Alpha Squadron: unused”, and “Elite Guard: Zerg Swarm”.

Upon further testing, it appears that the secondary names of the factions come from the map before the previous map. I tested this bug on the “defeat” screen by using the “game over man” cheat, and I found, for example, that if I first tested Terran mission 9, none of the factions would have a secondary ID; if I tested Terran mission 9 again, the Sargas Tribe’s Expeditionary Force, the Jormungand Brood’s Zerg Swarm, and the player’s Sons of Korhal factions would be correctly identified. But if I then loaded a save from Terran mission 10 and cheated my way to defeat there, the three factions would be misidentified as those of Terran mission 9 on the defeat screen the first time, and correctly identified the second time.

So there is clearly a bug regarding the secondary IDs of the factions in the campaign on the victory and defeat screens.

3 Likes

It’s called “force name” and it doesn’t seem to be widespread bug. Try installation repair function maybe.

After scanning and repairing, the problem still persists. I tried doing Zerg mission 1 first this time, and got no force name for either faction there the first time I brought up a game over screen, although “Remnants of the Confederacy” and “Zerg Swarm” did show up as intended the second time.

Then, bringing up a game over screen in Terran mission 10, I got “Remnants of the Confederacy” for the Elite Guard, “Sir Not Appearing In This Film” for Alpha Squadron, and “Zerg Swarm” for my faction.

Clearly this has been a problem for a while, as evidenced by this thread: Starcraft Forums

1 Like

Having the same problem. I’m currently at The Hammer Falls and nearly all my force names on the victory screens were messed up thru the campaign. For most of the time there was no text at all, rarely the correct names or even Force 2, Force 3 etc.

It’s not the ideal solution, but I’ve found that the force names are correct if I select a campaign and scenario rather than load a saved game from the main menu… even if I later load a saved game in that same scenario. So to make “The Hammer Falls” force names appear correctly, assuming that you have a game saved in that scenario, this should make it work:

Single player
StarCraft Original
Your username
Terran
The Hammer Falls
Begin the scenario
Load your saved game

If you do this, the game should correctly identify you as the Former Colonial Militia, and your enemies as the Sons of Korhal.

TLDR: Don’t load saved games from the main menu, or the force names will be buggy. Begin a scenario from the main menu and then load your saved game instead.

2 Likes

Nice find.
Hope the devs look into this matter soon, if they ever will.