BUG - Summary Screen

At the end end of the Emperor’s Flight mission in BW, on the end of mission summary screen, there’s a zerg labeled as Epsilon Squadron.

https://i.postimg.cc/Wbt5trb2/Untitled.png

EDIT: And again at the end of To Chain the Beast

https://postimg.cc/4KtYhnjz

So it may be systemic through out the campaign(s), even before I first noticed it in the Emperor’s Flight.

2 Likes

I think this problem is in all summary screens. I think some Protoss tribes are missing or named by another name or something like that and that kind of things, I don’t remember much but I would have to install my old SC 1.16 CDs to check and see all the differences with remastered.
I think I saw other threads talking about this too:

Actually, I think there were two names: a faction name and a tribe or group name, and those were scrambled around or just completely messed up in the Remastered edition.

So I’m not the only one that encountered this… I JUST KNEW something was wrong! :stuck_out_tongue:
As a nostalgic SC1 player since childhood, had an itch for a custom campaign, and in the score screens the player colors were messed up - I remember each player color for both SC1 and Warcraft II for all races what faction they represent, so I had to make a little test…

Antiga Prime? Since when Antiga is orange? Antiga was always purple, same as Kel-Morian Combine was teal and Alpha Squadron (Duke’s faction) white.

I chose a map for 8 players FFA, selected all races the same - 1st round all terrans, then zerg, then protoss… as soon as I started playing, I typed the cheat ‘There is no cow level’ to end the game.

So, without further ado, let me humbly share my printscreens… :stuck_out_tongue:

Terran: https://imgur.com/a/vHFBmZc (Hell, no! Elite Guard is always red, Mar Sara deep blue and Kel-Morian Combine teal!)
Zerg: https://imgur.com/a/ud6uVaL (Epsilon Squadron)
Protoss: https://imgur.com/a/6CVs1EF (notice the Leviathan Brood)

Considering the traditional scheme from SC editor (I’m an ol’ SC1 editor veteran):
Player 1 - Red
Player 2 - Blue
Player 3 - Teal
Player 4 - Purple
Player 5 - Orange
Player 6 - Brown
Player 7 - White
Player 8 - Yellow,

Way I see it, there is an offset in player colors due to some zero indexing or the absence of it where it should be (in coding)… Epsilon Squadron (yellow terran) transfers into red Zerg cos player 1 Zerg is red Zerg and the same way Leviathan Brood (yellow zerg) transferred into Red Protoss (should be Judicator Aldaris’ Ara Tribe in the classic campaign)…
When I tried to see what faction is offset in this bug on Red Terran, it says “Observers” - all team colors are offset by number 1

The SC wiki is correct on how the colors should look like and it is the same way I remeber it: https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/Colors

Where can we report this as a (rather lore-wise) bug to fix for Blizzard? Some of the patches must have screwed it up…

#bug #starcraft #playercolorsoffset

I think the Antiga were orange before you bring Kerrigan to their command center, and they become purple afterwards? Quite strange, they were supposed to be purple always!

They ARE indeed always purple! Even in melee/FFA playing if SC is working as it should (not as the current offset in player colors)…

I know what you might be thinking… in the next missions on Antiga is where Kerrigan is to plant the psi emitter for Mengsk and she has doubts about it… the enemy is orange terran - but that’s because it’s Confederate Delta Squadron sent to surround the rebels (Antiga + Sons of Korhal).
I remember the “squadron” colors…

Alpha Squadron - white (General Duke)
Delta Squadron - orange (defending Tarsonis)
Omega Squadron - brown (defending Tarsonis)
Epsilon Squadron - yellow (not used at all but you can use it in custom campaigns to fill in some interesting plot…)

1 Like

A couple more. “Observers” are seemingly a part of the Kel-Morian Combine:

https://i.postimg.cc/fT0xrfXL/Untitled.png

Here’s v1.61.1’s victory screen for that same mission:

https://i.postimg.cc/vBydnhsN/Untitled.png

So it seems there’s an issue with these factions/labels all over the place, maybe even in the other campaigns.

The issue is a global Starcraft bug, doesn’t matter if you choose melee/FFA map or campaign.

Don’t forget that the “Observers” are just a memory-leaked string data that might not even be in the player factions by their colors… I know, it sounds “cool” to have a faction called “Observers” :smiley:,
but it’s a bug inflicted by the offset out of range.
Due to this same bug is Red Zerg “Epsilon Squadron”, Red Protoss “Leviathan Brood” and poor Velari Tribe :cry: is missing (should be Yellow Protoss)

As for the Kel-Morian Combine, I guess that’s the name of Force (allied team or otherwise) that can be edited in SC editor for each mission separately. Maybe even the Force names got displaced by some patch? I don’t know about this, but if so, they better fix it… :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: btw, your second link is correct in the player color factions - is it not by any chance the Brood War mission where you have to raid Kel-Morian Combine for Kerrigan for 10 000 minerals and optionally infest command centers? If so, that makes sense, though it is strange enough - they needed more computer players than just one (and Teal color which is KMC color by default is occupied by rescuable hero unit Fenix in Dragoon), so yeah, that would make sense…

1 Like

Indeed.

I went through the 11 missions of the vanilla Terran campaign for both v1.61 and Remastered and every one of the Remastered summary screens were wrong. (I was going to do all 6 campaigns but after getting 11 wrong in a row, it’s safe to say it’s systemic.)
Comparing them:

1. The colors were all correct (matched).
  2. The descriptions were all correct (matched).
  3. However all the NPC terran groups, zerg broods and protoss tribes were all wrong.

In some cases, it is innocuous. Like where the brood or tribe names were interchanged. However in other cases, they made no sense. For example, the “Observers” example from above. Or in T7 where we are fighting the Confederacy (Delta Squadron), the summary screen says were fighting the Antigans.

Adding what MrBitmap said above about it being everywhere, not just in the campaign, then it is a pretty big bug!

It is. Like the 11 vanilla Terran missions I just compared, the colors all match and the descriptions match. It’s just the group names that are off. Reading around similar thread, it seems that the descriptions/color can get messed up too. But what ever I’m doing, it’s keeping those two correct.

Not sure if it’s such a big bug, but better that it’s this way that it’s global than if it were arbitrarily different for every map (that would make maybe the worst scenario possible - no pun intended :smiley: ).
It’s actually a slight miscalculation and once that gets fixed, everything is fixed.

Don’t know if you’re into programming, but I for one believe I could maybe track it down and fix it should I have the source code at disposal.
Do you know about so-called ‘zero indexing’? In C++ and many languages derived from C the array positions of data are accessed by the entry number starting from 0, not 1 (the most common beginner mistake to think the 1st element in the array is 1 when it’s actually 0).

I can imagine something like this happened in this section of the code. The string array of the internal data will likely be looking like this:
{..., ..., ..., Observers, Elite Guard, Mar Sara, Kel-Morian Combine, Antiga, Delta Squadron, Omega Squadron, Alpha Squadron, Epsilon Squadron, Tiamat Brood, Surtur Brood, Fenris Brood, Jormungand Brood, Garm Brood, Grendel Brood, Baelrog Brood, Leviathan Brood, Ara Tribe, Sargas Tribe, Akilae Tribe, Furinax Tribe, Auriga Tribe, Venatir Tribe, Shelak Tribe, Velari Tribe, ..., ..., ...}

In this case, there are possibilities:

• Some skilled programmer with the knowledge of zero indexing made the function to retrieve the faction name by player color; (s)he passed the function an entry of 0 where it should have been 1 (this time) OR passed the element minus 1 (index-1), where it should have just been the element index without any addition or subtraction.
  • Someone tampered with the string data adding Observers as the 1st element just before the Elite Guard, thus offseting the whole calculation.
  • The “Observers” name is not even in the data array; it can be just a placeholder name instead of writing “ERROR: faction name not found”, a safety precaution in case the retrieved data element from the array is out of range. In this scenario, the array of strings begins with Elite Guard and ends with Velari Tribe
1 Like