Why is SC2 the only Blizz game WITHOUT 2560x1080 ultrawide support?

Seriously…every single game I have, Blizzard or otherwise, now supports 2560x1080 21:9 ultrawide monitors…so why is it that SC2 is the only game Blizzard has that REFUSES to support this resolution?!

I love playing SC2, but now that I have an ultrawide, I am forced to stare ate stretched out troops that look weird.

Blizzard makes for than enough money at this point, and has the resources available to pay a single person to add in 2560x1080 resolution support. All of your competitors support it regardless of the game or game genre…so why are you STILL refusing to support what is quickly becoming a mainstream monitor resolution segment?!? I mean seriously…you game Heroes of the Storm 2560x1080 support…so why not StarCraft 2?!

8 Likes

Your processor won’t like processing all units in range of 2560x1080.

1 Like

I think my processor will be fine. If I can play all my games at max settings with my 1070 Ti and Ryzen 2700X…I think SC2 can handle 2560x1080

2 Likes

this should be in general and not in support, as you are not asking for help. now it is.

1 Like

Wrong…I am asking for 2560x1080 resolution support. Much like many, many other players.

5 Likes

asking for new functions belongs in general and not in support.

2 Likes

A foolish request. The reason it does not support this is it would give you a hardware advantage over other players who do not have an ultra-wide monitor as you would have a wider view of the battlefield. This is inescapable. If your view was not “stretched,” it would be expanded. Otherwise, you would have to clip your upper/lower views which I’m guessing would not make you happy either.

12 Likes

However people who have a 720P screen or something in between 1080P are also in also in a disadvantage. And there are more people with 720 screen’s than you think. And don’t get me started on the poor 4.3 ratio people!

People who have a 144 Mhz refreshrate also has a advantage against people without in Shooters like Overwatch, but I’ve never seen someone who complained about that.

3 Likes

Because the ratio of that resolution gives a vision advantage and is still niche (Steam Hardware survey reporting a ~1% user base). 16:9 is the standard and while it does support lower ratios those are not considered standard anymore, they’re essentially retro. Adding 21:9 support would basically make having an ultrawide necessary to play if you want to keep up competitively which is an expense the vast majority do not want.

8 Likes

A 720p or 1080p makes no difference on the view of the battlefield, just how pretty it looks. I have a 1440p and there is no difference in view from 1080p or 720p. If it’s same aspect ratio it will be the same view.

5 Likes

Because then you won’t see anything of the importance.
Ressources in the top right corner…
MiniMap in the bottom left…
Have fun keeping track with that big distance for your eyes.
Actually the BW resolution was optimal.

1 Like

And yet, BW remastered even lets you have this “advantage”.

2 Likes

Really? Because all the documentation I can find says it officially supports up to 4k/16:9 (compared to the hardcoded 640x480 that was in original SC). That being said I’m sure people have hacked it to allow for Ultrawide by stretching the screen.

1 Like

I disagree as the 16:9 aspect ratio is standard now. It is not an advantage because 16:9 comprises the majority of gamer’s aspect ratios. If you voluntarily place the black pillars in BW you are giving yourself a handicap. 21:9 is not common and not standard, so support should be restricted to single player. And who in their right mind only plays that?

1 Like

What’s more? They had Ultrawide support AT LAUNCH. They removed it saying it was ‘competitively unfair’ just like in Overwatch. Except in Overwatch they put bars on the sides so its not skewed to hell.

1 Like

It was taken out because 21:9 gives you a lot more screen space to see and use your units than the average player.

I’d like to see it added for co-op and campaign, hell, even custom games would be fine but for ladder and arcade, no dice!

1 Like

Won’t happen because it would cause balance problems.

1 Like

Did either of you read what I said? Put black bars on the sides of the screen so it shows 1920x1080 without skewing the image.

Every. Other. Game. In. Their. Library. Either does that, or shows the full-width resoltion.

There is no reasonable excuse why it does not do something to make sure people on ultrawide have an acceptable play experience.

Zoom it in, use black bars, something. Literally WarCraft 3 CLASSIC which is 4:3 not even 16:9 and is a Seventeen Year Old Game just puts in black bars on the sides and it looks good and is completely playable.

No excuse for this feature to be over-looked, other than the entire SC2 dev team being incompetent. Considering the game is dying for a myriad of other reasons as well this is clearly the real reason.

2 Likes

And why does Heroes of the Storm an equally competitive game support the resolution?

Why is it not an unfair advantage in HOTS but it is in LOTV? Explain. SC2 also USED to support Ultrawide.

I used to be able to put it in windowed fullscreen and it would display properly. So the engine clearly is capable of doing it.

Having to go into my Nvidia settings every time I launch the game to change my resolution is archaic and laughable.

Sorry to say but there is no valid reason any of you will present. The fact is that it has inexplicably been forgotten in SC2 just like a lot of other things in this game.

1 Like

Because no one really considers the basically discontinued HOTS as just as competitive as SC2…
Be careful, if you keep reaching that far you’re gonna strain yourself

1 Like