Why don't Terrans repair units?

This has been bothering me/confusing me for years. In broodwar, repairing your units was as fundamental as not being supply blocked. If you forgot to repair a tank, it would mean you were “bronze league.” You’d have to be some kind of bad to not repair important/expensive units if the chance presented itself.

In SC 2… you rarely EVER see anyone prioritize repairing anything. There was no auto repair in BW. You’d think repairing your units in SC 2 would be a trivial thing that even the Bronze league guys had down. Yet, pros don’t repair anything.

They do an attack that is tank centric, and they bring along a few scvs, and despite having 100000 opportunities to try to repair something, they never do. The scvs will be right next to the tanks, touching them… yet… still won’t repair.

If a guy is solely relying on a tank or a liberator staying alive for his defense… it won’t even cross his mind to repair the units, whether Toss backs off or not. The Toss player could back off and tell the guy he might want to repair his units, yet… it’s never going to happen. Doesn’t matter if the tank has 1 HP left and 10 scvs near it. They couldn’t care less.

Why? I don’t get it. You’d think SC 2 was in beta and the Terran pros are new to RTS. Can we please repair something, once, so the other races can feel better about losing to Terran? Thanks.

3 Likes

Becaise you trade mining time equal to unit production time + travel time to place unit is. It also costs 25% of the price to repair. Another thing is, because Terran doesnt have time to repair unit. Why does Zerg not transfuse roach? Because its not worth APM invested. You will transfuse Ultra or Brood, same as Terran will repair BC or Thor.

Also, unit being Repaired is unit not being used. Which is always bad for Terran.

EDIT: Also, Autorepair is last priority of SCV. If it uses it, it means its iddle. Having iddle workers is bad, no matter the race.

10 Likes

I just think every SC 2 Terran is as incompetent as it gets when it comes to repairing units. Incompetent and lazy. They lose so many games, at a high level even, simply due to forgetting repair is in the game. The next minute will decide the game. You need your key units to stay alive as long as possible… and oh look… it’s the 5 HP liberator and 2 HP tank defense. Standard.

I’m watching a game 30 minutes ago in this wardi tournament and the terran brings along a scv to presumably repair if the chance comes up. I get that you also bring a scv in front of your army to get a heads up on army whereabouts. But, man… how many minutes have to go by of a scv being next to your only units of importance before you just freaking right click on it? My god.

In broodwar, everyone’s incompetence and laziness was with scan. No one would scan anything. It was embarrassing. You couldn’t even watch a player stream due to how enraging it was. Guy is able to play with legal maphacks. No opportunity cost (no mules), yet they play the whole f’ing game blind. Imagine having infinite scan yet always being surprised. Terrans in BW…

There’s just something wrong with Terran players, where even the most rudimentary/common sense stuff escapes them. Repair wasn’t just meant for command centers, battle cruisers and thors. Your tank or liberator isn’t going to stop firing cause it’s being repaired.

It just boggles my mind to see these guys playing professionally yet making repair seem like rocket science that has yet to be mastered.

1 Like

I always think every whiner is just incopetent.

Try playing and repair all your units. Sure, youll get high. But its sub-optimal.

3 Likes

Do you have eyes? It is a serious question.

Weren’t armies much smaller in Broodwar than compared to SC2? It was probably more valuable to spend resources repairing units in BW.

5 Likes

aren’t you the dude who complains about losing to terrans 1000 mmr below? maybe this repair mechanic is above your comprehension

4 Likes

@TOPIC Terrans use repair sometimes but usually in some kind of thors all-ins because in normal late game fights storms and overall AoE damage can easily clean the repairing SCVs because they are clumped together.

1 Like

Actually, they were usually larger. Which is why people got so good at micro. Which is probably why they thought to repair.

There is only a small window where you could argue it’s “sub-optimal”. Un repaired units are a major cause of failures in all-in defense and execution, and you definitely aren’t losing mining time with SCV you already have on the other side of the map. And losing a bit of mining time so you defend and don’t lose half your SCVs is always worth it.

And once you get into a real macro game with 4 CCs, those SCVs are way better off auto-repairing your thors and tanks than sitting 18/8 in your main. Sure, hellions and widow mines are not usually worth repairing, but anything banshee or tankier is definitely worth repairing.

And of course, the same terrans will probably complain about how good shield batteries are, right?

5 Likes

You should never have 18/8 in main. If you are good player, you will know to transfer them to fresh base, if not, you will forget you have them.

Shield batteries dont take money for repairs, dont need unit standing still and cost 0 supply.

As for losing because your units were low? Well, maybe you would lose because you werent using units you have at all. Really, try playing Terran, then speak about repairs. Zergs always see 20 roaches being deflected by planetary, what they dont see is 1k resources that stunt drained.

Thats why when any caster tries the “OMG, no repair! What a mistake!” any Terran watching facepalms. No, its usually not in pro play. Its just not worth investing 3X as much as making new one.

1 Like

I’m just impressed that those roaches managed to deal 2k damage to the planetary. Even with +3 roaches against no building armour, that would take 2:30 of those 20 roaches firing non-stop at the planetary.

O<- Bunch of roaches
X<- Planetary
oooo<- Workers

Moral of the story, its not always in your best interest to repair. Numbers I threw are random and you trying to latch on that only shows you lack argument.

3 Likes

Roaches attacking a planetary is never a good idea, because of resources. Pick whatever ground unit you feel like, repair will ALWAYS be a MASSIVE win for Terran in terms of resources, except situationally against sieged tanks in TvT. And that’s just in the case of planetaries. I play a lot of Terran buddy, probably my most played race in the last year.

In Broodwar, when you’re in turtle mode, anytime you see that a tank is damaged, you repair it for the most part. If you’re not active on the map (and I don’t mean you have a drop), you repair your important units. Ie., you don’t care about hellions, but you would always repair your liberators.

It’s a risk/reward thing, for the most part. If someone is doing an all-in, you can’t afford not to repair your key units. It makes no sense not to. Macro was easy enough in broodwar. Macro in SC 2 with Terran is preschool s. You don’t have anything else to do.

It’s like 50x more egregious than not using return cargo to return your minerals/gas (another thing people are too lazy to do). It’s just sad to me, to think it’s IMPRESSIVE to see a pro gamer repair a unit. Like I’m watching Clem today and he repaired his cyclone. It’s like omfg… who is this prodigy who has a brain and 2 able hands?

In T vs Z, in BW, you’d have a lot of vessels but the game would be chaotic and you always had to use your energy. If you weren’t always using your energy, then you weren’t getting the value that you needed to. You’d end up getting overwhelmed. Thus, in games like that, it can make more sense to not repair your important units, given it takes time and does take them out of the game.

I see no comparables to that in SC 2. Especially not in T vs P where everyone is just massing units that Toss has no counters to and waiting for max. It’s like these guys either have to be watching anime while playing or Terran is so freaking good that nothing matters.

I’m 100% serious in not being able to watch Terrans stream BW due to all of them playing blind. I just find it kinda amazing that there isn’t a similar pet peeve/thing that grinds peoples gears when watching Terrans play SC 2.

Because Terran stuff is so powerful and they keep getting free upgrades, so why bother learning to do that?
Just wait until they decide Thors aren’t good enough and they give them anti-infantry miniguns and tubo boosters that make them run twice as fast.

But seriously, part of the problem is SC2 took the idea of “Terrible terrible damage” and rammed it so far up the game’s *** that rather than a bunch of strategic battles happening everywhere, things just die in a big ball of death.
There’s no better evidence for that than the horrible design flaw called the Baneling.

2 Likes

Terrans do repair things but not as often as they could. They usually do it in allins (scv pulls), BC rushes (to repair a retreated BC), late-game mech play (where resources are limited), and to defend timings (when unit production is limited). The bottom line is that Terran is strong without the need to repair. If it actually mattered then they’d be forced to milk it for every drop of efficiency that they could, kinda like what Zerg has to do with transfuse and creep spread. Sooner or later the designers will see that Terran has enormous untapped potential, and that they don’t need to constantly hand the playerbase buffs when the real problem is laziness.

3 Likes

That’s part of what gets me. Even at a professional level, you will see guys bring scvs with the intention of repairing, and then they will have every opportunity in the world to repair, yet they somehow find a way not to. And, it will cost them games.

It’s like they don’t know how to hotkey scvs. Just f2 a-move. Anytime a tank almost died, but I had the chance to save it… it was like a victory screen would appear. You’d be fist pumping like you just won the lotto and couldn’t believe your luck. You watch SC 2… and it’s surprising they even bother to repair BCs.

The only thing I’ve seen Terran actually care about repairing, outside of the thor or the BC is the bunker. But, even saying that… in the same game today where the guy refused to repair any of his tanks/units, he started the game off with a bunker “rush.”

The guy allowed his bunker to die to a couple adepts, while a scv stayed in the bunker the whole time. No attempt to even repair it or draw a shot. Whose bunker dies with a scv inside it the whole time? It cost the guy at least a probe kill. Just odd that this is really what non Korean pro level is with Terran.

Elazer can make as many overlords as he wants. Terran can forget repair exists and have ez mode supply drops. Every time I see a Toss advance far in a tournament… I feel like I’m watching jesus reincarnated. Anytime I watch another race advance far… I feel like I’m watching a joke. Tricycle stuff.

1 Like

That will only be a win if you have another base to transfer the SCVs to though.
If you don’t have a base for those SCVs, you will loose a lot of mining time / income.
(until you land/build another base)

my medivacs repair my marines every game bro…

1 Like

Its obvious you dont play terran much. There is a bit more to it than free healing you think it as.

As for repairing BW tanks? BW tank is important. It can dish out insane dmg at insane range. LOTV tank is bad unit.

Also, BW play has 2 types. You either rally across the map or stay at home. If you stay, its obvious you should repair. In SC II, you need to be active on the map.