Why don't Terrans repair units?

Probably not worth the APM investment

OR battles are too fast so there’s usually no time to repair

OR you must be constantly moving on the map to reposition army so you can’t stop for repairs

OR if you are repairing you are not mining, so that’s a thing to consider

Pick your favorite reason

2 Likes

Repair tends to help with or against cheese as every single micro matter at early game.

Also, since you actually spending resources + not gathering resources means that:

1.You must be fully sure that the repair will make a difference or
2.You either floating so much that those workers won’t matter or helping an all-in.

Special seriously doesn’t seem to think so. Granted it lost him some TvPs, but still. But it any case, don’t try and tell me that making tanks in TvT or TvZ is bad, because tanks are one of your top units in both matchups.

Sure, but when I see banshees sitting at home regenerating energy, and not getting repaired, and then later I see those 4 banshees die to 2 queens, which normally they could kill without losing a single banshee. This is what happens at high level. And I don’t care what you say, not repairing those banshees was a very obvious, very large mistake.

And yes, for many units the benefit of repairing is very small, and it won’t make any difference really if you repair it or not. But very, VERY rarely can you actually say repairing was worse than not repairing.

2 Likes

Most of the time it happens because the Terran needs to free up supply and the value of banshees falls off steeply to where the cost of building another supply depot is more expensive. It’s similar to a zerg who throws away some roaches to free up supply for broods. Those roaches take up so much supply and are so useless that having them is a liability. You have to get rid of them and replace them with a better unit or you’ll just die.

Ideally you should use them in a way that gets a lot of value, but most of the time simply having them die is way more important. There have been times where I’ve sent 16 roaches out to counter attacked and wiped out 2 mineral lines and still lost because I couldn’t defend a full frontal assault from a more supply efficient army. Getting rid of them is way more important than even decimating your opponents economy.

3 Likes

When Terran only has 4 factories and Zerg doesn’t even have a hydra den or spire finished yet, that’s different from a Zerg who has a greater spire, no?

You just answer the question why MULE is OP “right? OP”., Because in between building structures, per each, repairing, there is a heck of a good reason why MULE exists and why you can SPAM it. At late game it may become abundant but they use scans more anyway

MULEs are so worthless they are worth less than a brief glance at the map. The only purpose they serve in LotV is to be a crutch for bad terrans to spam when they misplay and lose all their workers. Everything in a strategy game needs to have trade offs because strategy is created through balancing the upsides and downsides of your plans. At a bare minimum MULES should cost 25 minerals so that there is a trade off to using them. Even better would be to make MULEs cooldown based instead of energy based, which would prevent them from stacking.

In sc2 you can wipe the opponent’s army and end the game in 15 seconds, in bw it takes like 5 minutes of constant attacking and pushing to finally checkmate him.

There isnt time to repair in sc2. While you’re repairing he could be blinking his entire army on top of yours and following with a warp in of zealots to finish you off. All in the space of like 4 seconds. That simply doesn’t happen in bw.

In bw you have time for lots of things that don’t happen in sc2 because everyone is spending 99% of their attention managing their army to avoid getting a moved. Sc2 is a deathball fest, everything is about the deathball, up to and including deathballs smacking viewers on the chin.

2 Likes

Pro players play zerg, mostly. What is there to repair as zerg? Just remax and demand the GG from the nonzerg opponent. ezpz.

Zerg creep spread is so easy to do by pretty much any leagues lately that you get the constant regeneration and map vision all over.

people repair stuff… it just taxes your attention. i repair when it’s convenient
who are you watching stream?

He probably played some plat guy, saw he didn’t repair tank and got salty.

It’s every single tournament I watch. I don’t know if it’s just a non Korean thing or what. I know no Korean was remotely this bad in BW, so it would be weird to think they just forgot the concept of repairing units now.

It’s like these guys who only use 1 control group and then complain about how difficult it is to micro. Playing like a noob does sound pretty hard. Maybe not do that…

Just because you can put all of your production on one hotkey doesn’t mean you should, either. Crazy concept, though.

In BW, there was no such thing as a high ranking European Terran outside of Russians. These guys were still trying to figure out how to make a marine, much less how to micro one or repair a unit.

I don’t even blame the balance team at this point. It’s tough to watch these guys play. I wish in the next balance update that one or two scvs would go repair expensive units on their own, anytime an expensive unit with moderate damage was close to a CC.

I’m starting to understand why Terran units aren’t allowed to be countered. They whine more than any race, as is. Plus… they need the other races/players to be handicapped.