Why does it feel worse to lose against protoss?

I think looking over the years it’s fair to say according to most stats protoss has been pretty balanced. Sure at points it’s been super strong, so have zerg, and terran. Butseems to be something psychologically more frustrating about losing to a protoss, than too a zerg or terran, which means even when they’re weak people still think big parts of there kit are overpowered.

I think part of this is because of things like storms, and disruptors. Nothing else in the game can instantly destroy your army like that if you mess up.

I think another major factor, is that protoss is much more a race of hard counters than the other two. If the protoss builds the wrong unit comp, they can be laughably easy to defeat, for example mass adept vs roaches, but if they build the right thing it can feel imposible to defeat them no matter how well you micro.

I don’t think you get those set ups as often with Zerg/Terran because if you’re playing standards ZvT, nothing on the Zerg side hard counters MMM out of existence, the way collosus or templars can if you don’t have vikings or ghosts respectively.

I think the hard counters in protoss lead to much more frustrating losses, espcially as i feel like scouting is one of the weakest areas of players on the ladder compared to the pro scene. It’s common to see players all the way up to grand master never scout, and just play 1 or 2 builds vs each race. These players can easily run into brick walls against protoss, they’d never hit vs zerg or protoss, due to the much softer counters.

5 Likes

Because losing to Protoss seems “easy” because Protoss play does not award spamming. It awards decision making and precision more than volume. There is no stutter step micro. There is no spamming biles. There is no creep clearing squads. There is no spamming muta micro (well… oracle to a certain degree but even then energy management is a big decision piece)

But the are things that require more precision than volume. Where you set up your prism for reinforcements. Where/when you lay down your precious handful of storms. How you use your Disruptors. If you just spam them you know have paperweights for 21.4 seconds. How you use your sentries. If you get them out of position or spam out your forcefields they are expensive liabilities. How you use your blink. If you just blink forward you could get your stalkers massacred. How are you going to use your oracle? Are you going to be greedy and dive on drones or dart in briefly and play it safe?

13 Likes

Agreed, protoss is more about decision making than micro or macro. It’s a “strategy” game after all.

9 Likes

nope it rewards making a mudpie army of random units and f2 A-moving while spamming aoe.

move entire army in one ball, recall if there is a drop. and i am not making that up in any way.

1 Like

no it literally isnt protoss by far has the least decision making. i think its micro and macro are close to zerg though imo.

Cause Protoss armie suck. Gateway too week alone on itself tier 3 dies to enemy tier 1 so you feel like idiot when you lose to most useless race in this game and than you to justify it to ure self you come to forums and write some stupidities like “i have to play 10 times better and i still lose”

3 Likes

You can spam and forget zealots.

Warp prism in enemy main - warp in zealots and forget. Same with zealot runby’s.

Decision making like make 4 nexus and spam only zealots? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I beaten with this 5400 terran from 4700 offrace… And beating 5300 terrans regularly…

Replay in here please without that you whine

I already posted replay, go find it, i don’t care if diamond scrub belives me. I don’t have to prove myself to whiny troll, which complains in every terran thread and is stuck in diamond and salty, that he can’t get masters…

In TvT or TvZ you lose if your opponent played better.
In TvP you can play better and still lose. It is the only matchup where one players mistakes are punished harder than the other player mistakes.

For instance: You managed to kill 10 probes with a mine drop? Congratulations, you are now in an even game and have 50/50 change to defeat Protoss if you manage to avoid late game.

But if Protoss kill 10 workers early game you have already lost the game, there is no realistic way to come back after that against a player of similar skill.

3 Likes

Already by the way ok

Says the guy with the hidden profile…

What is up with these cowards who post about how “good” they are and how X race is so imba but have a hidden profile…

5 Likes

Dude i posted 3 replays recently beating gm each time. Go find it yourself, if you care. BEcause i don’t give you sh1t… Or shut up…

Your only activity on 19th October. 9 posts, none with replays. Apparently you have mistaken your accounts.
recently beating gm
Denied for manipulation.

2 Likes

protuss doesn’t lose they just get free wins.

Despite what you say protoss has only won 1 premier tournament in the past year. That was DH SC2 Masters 2020 Summer: North America, so a north American tournament. I think we all have to admit the north American scene is not the peak of starcraft 2 right now :frowning:

2 Likes

Protoss currently has roughly twice as many players in GM than Zerg. It’s literally a record. Never before has any race dominated GML this hard. You know when Zerg had 8 armor ultras? Nope, not even then. Protoss is literally more broken than any race has ever been. If you can’t recognize imbalance even at the peak of imbalance, you can’t recognize imbalance, period.

1 Like

And despite what your saying no protoss are winning premier tournaments at all right now. I mean over the past year it’s been more Zerg dominated than any year ever.
Of course it is possible that with regular GM skills protoss is stronger, but then when you take it to best in the world level Zerg is stronger. I often see that at the very top level late game is Zerg favoured, but anywhere below high GM, it seems as if late game is pretty heavily protoss favored, if you can’t play like serral.

2 Likes

They have a 55% PvT win-rate in premiers. In other words, balance favors them but they can’t win tournaments anyway. It’s a skill problem.