Why Amon, Why not Arcturus

Why all the bad guys are sent from Amon and why not someone like Arcturus? Aren’t there enough villains in SC universe?

1 Like

Because Mengsk is dead already by the time. Plus a good candidate for a commander. And you have other enemies, the holograms for example, or the infested. It’s map specific, but yeah.

5 Likes

Co-op missions are designed within the timeframe of Legacy of the Void. Arcturus is dead at the end of Heart of the Swarm.

Unless you somehow think up a way to make Mengsk crawl out of the grave to harass our heroes a la Stukov, his story is said and done.

1 Like

That said though, it is confirmed Coop isn’t canon thus doesn’t restrict what OP is asking.

So while it is likely Amon is the main go to because of 1) time frame and 2) not a commander candidate, having other characters as the enemy shouldn’t be out of the question and may add interesting variety.

1 Like

I mean, sure, but what other enemy would have access to all three races and hybrids? Without hybrids the game would have to add a lot bigger attack waves to be hard - in my opinion.
I think map specific enemies (like the Tal’darim and its Purifier holograms) could be fine, so I can see Mengsk being the enemy on some map… Just switch battlecruisers to Lokis.

And you’re right about the alternate timeline, let’s not forget Tychus.

Stukov came back in HOTS, tychus on the other hand along with zeratul got revived in the time line of coop( let’s say Jim didn’t outright kill him and zeratul was 10 cm lower and cut the nerve cords when abobe artanis), which starts at lotv, maybe they can Rev him as a reanimated villain, like infested or rebuilt with void energy to serve amon, but commander? That would be dumb and throw hots out the window.

We’ve yet to have a map with a fixed enemy race, and I think it is something worth exploring. Although this isn’t exactly a new idea lol. And new content is slow, so I’m not holding my breath for it to happen at all.

1 Like

He could still very well be a commander, Mengsk. I think Warfield or Davis are better for Dominion themed armies and Valerian is better for Umojan-Dominion armies, but it’s possible.

How about Narud as a commander?

Narud. Loyal servant of Amon. Creator of the hybrids. Coop commander. Do you not think that’s sounds more dumb than Arcturus? Replace Arcturus with Davis and you’re set. But Narud? What in the void does Amon have to do to make his follower go against him? How are you going to explain that? Besides the fact that narud is a shapeshifter and after hots during lotv, chilling in the void with his master.

I meant as an enemy leader.

Arcturus being alive is going to severely impact the lore unlike Tychus (who basically had little lore implications if he was alive) and Zeratul (his death helped to push Artanis in the direction against Amon, but it’s not impossible to explain had he been alive).

Arcturus on the other hand was a negative influence on the biggest Terran faction all around, and also affected the Zerg (via Kerrigan) and the Protoss. Him being alive would be a lot harder to justify.

Just being the devil’s advocate here. Knowing full well coop isn’t canon, if we are assuming lore impact, then maybe a more radical group salvaged his consciousness… then goes from there… seems like a way to place that in?

If you mean a group like the Defenders of Man doing their own equivalent of the Protoss Purifier Program, it sounds extremely unlikely. As far as I know, the Terrans of Koprulu Sector lack any sort of technology to preserve an individual’s consciousness.

Only one case of a Terran turning their mind into an AI was known, and it was a ghost with technopathy - one of Nova’s classmates. He used his own power to preserve his mind after the death of his physical self, and not any assisting technology that could theoretically be applied to Arcturus.

Mengsk got psi-bombed into a telepath.

they can not have a potensial commander as the enemy.

Problems with Arcturus:

1. While commanders came come back from the dead, most of the missions seem to try to fit in the End War timeframe. There are very obviously canon breaking missions (Temple of the Past and Vermillion Problem) but aspects of fighting Arcturus doesn’t make a ton of sense.

2. How would Arcturus command protoss and zerg? You need to vary up the map compositions. Moebius at least makes sense with their connection to Amon, Arcturus not only detests the aliens, but was against controlling them as weapons after he saw the UED’s failure (source: The Teacher), hence why he was convinced to build new aliens from the ground up. All maps need at least some element of being able to use the other attack wave compositions. This one you can work in a bit with the hybrid controlling them but it’d still get weird. And if you do use the hybrid, you STILL are including Amon.

3. As mentioned, they are almost certainly saving Arcturus for a commander. Raynor even has a fully recorded voice line for allying with Arcturus, back when they were planning to do voice interactions between commanders at the start of a match. With the influx of SC1 skins, Mengsk, the Overmind and Tassadar seem like the obvious candidates for using those classic skinsets.

Some have mentioned time frame and some other have answered with guys like Tychus who we believe was dead. So yea no harm in bringing back dead villains. And about the hybrids i believe Mengsk had a lab full of them. Not controlling three races? No problem make it race specific. If it’s going to be Terran let it be Arcturus its not like going to spoil anything cause like in 3 minutes u would know who the enemy is.

I think the consensus was that the non-Amon commanders would have faction specific rosters only on spevific maps that are designed for them.

Actually in Asis Server, there is a arcade 3 player coop mode where you can play as actual Arcturus Mengsk!

Seeing as he currently is the Starcraft version of the Varian 2000pc jigsaw puzzle, I doubt he’s getting brought back like Stukov.

An agent of Amon could take his likeness and pretend to be him for a mission where you have you stop the impostor from taking over the Dominion. Like the WoL mission where you have to hold the broadcast centers except this time you’re trying to block the transmissions.