What if... unranked mmr

What if unranked MMR could raise, but never go below ranked MMR?

• Ranked players no longer lose large amounts of points to players ranked way higher than them who are playing unranked
  • Unranked will no longer be a vehicle for ‘smurfing’ (without extra effort)
  • Unranked can really be used for it’s purported purpose ‘practicing without worrying about rank’

What. If.

2 Likes

no just make unranked a different ladder ezpz. if this was the case uranked players could be matched in more unfair matches(bigger differences between mmr) and it wouldnt matter because its just uranked.

maybe if this was the case they could also not even have an uranked mmr and just use the ranked one(and wouldnt change it for wins and losses)

You do know that you need to create server for tracking MMR?
Fun fact: Create server and maintain it cost money.

You do know that you need to create server for tracking MMR?
Fun fact: Create server and maintain it cost money.

???
Blizzard already stores accounts and their rankings, hence players being able to log into them? Put down the pipe.

no just make unranked a different ladder ezpz. if this was the case uranked players could be matched in more unfair matches(bigger differences between mmr) and it wouldnt matter because its just uranked.

maybe if this was the case they could also not even have an uranked mmr and just use the ranked one(and wouldnt change it for wins and losses)

Seems like a fix it vs delete it type of argument. Personally, I don’t use unranked but I know a lot of people like it. However, it does cause some issues. I haven’t thought of a real downside to my suggestion though, maybe someone will point it out.

fun fact, unranked mmr exists just like ranked mmr, meaning there already is mmr tracking for unranked( that they can get rid of if they really want)

does it increase the size of the server they needed to maintain it?
Why is it that when I make some change in the game, the forum server take so long to change it?
Why is the profile for the forum sometime… you know… go haywire?

yes it does numbers take up storage space believe it or not.
you have ranked mmr:mine is 4.7k
you have uranked mmr:mine is 4k

uMMR = uMMR - gLoss;

changed to

uMMR = Max(uMMR - gLoss, rMMR);

You think the servers can’t handle this?

1 Like

I dunno. But it is Blizzard server we are talking about here.
You and I both don’t know how they work. If you know, do give it a full essay about how it work and how it will affect Blizz server.

I know you’re trolling, but let’s not pretend that this change would require a complex implementation.

i think unranked MMR should always be the same as their ranked MMR, never changing. unless they have not played ranked at all, then it will behave as their ranked MMR.

that way they can continuously practice against people of similar MMR of their current rank.

That was my original thought, but I realized that would actually just provide infinite smurfing; just throw placement matches and then play unranked indefinitely.

If it can raise but not go below ranked, then smurfs will still need to throw games to harass noobs. It wont all together solve that problem, but it will eliminate the ‘accidental’ smurfing of people who are simply playing unranked.

In a perfect world:

-Unranked players should be able to to choose the matchup they wish to play up to (limit 7 games per day)
-Ranked players should be able to gain points, but never lose points vs unranked players

1 Like

The idea isn’t uninteresting, but doesn’t aligns with targeted goals.

• Fundamentally Unranked was created for players who suffer from ladder anxiety to have an area where they could play it with less pressure, and for others to allow them to experiment with news strategies or new races without tanking their MMR. Whether it’s training or for a more relaxed play, both those players categories are susceptible to perform less than in ranked. Cancelling the adaptation of the matchmaking to their current, actual unranked performance would create a mismatch between their real MMR (which would lower, sometimes by as much as one league or more if offracing) and their opponents. And the longer the pure unranked period would go, the potentially greater the mismatch. And so the ranked opponents would get easy wins, while the unranked users would be matched against too strong users, which can be quite frustrating. This would probably lead them to stop using unranked altogether.

• As for smurfs, though there are some of them who use unranked to keep a lower league border while still increasing their MMR (and this type is minority among smurfs, maybe 5 to 10% fo smurfs at best, which equals to 1-2% of players), most do freelose to do so, or just simply create new ranked accounts. And if unranked freeloses do not work anymore, they will freelose in ranked. Ranked or unranked matters little, most do not play on their main account anyway.

So while I do appreciate the thoughts over the topic, I do think such a strategy would impact a lot of regular players (I think more than 50% have used unranked at some point, at least in my community), while not achieving the goal on the targeted minority. :thinking:

What if man. If only Blizzard had half the brain to fix the problems that have been rampant on here for years… LOL

I see what you mean, but matches could take forever to come up too.

As others have said, unranked MMR is already in fact strictly tracked. All they would have to do is implement a limit to how low it can go based on real MMR. This shouldn’t be a major issue at all.

You’ve got it figured out, but it’s a shame that Blizzard won’t do anything about it.

I like this. This is definitely an option.

Unranked is bad for the game period. Your ladder anxiety shouldn’t come at the cost of another player’s enjoyment of the game. To all the people that use this excuse to justify unranked, screw you and your ladder anxiety.

Interesting. You seem quite agitated about that matter.

You did read too fast however. I do not have ladder anxiety myself, I was just explaining what the devs said when they implemented unranked.

I do still use regularly unranked however, as I’m trying to reach the upper league in ranked, and getting close to it. And so I train during the week, and ladder during the week-end. Unfortunately, my job doesn’t allows me to train at times when there are the most people online, and so during the week I get MMR more distant than mine, and more smurfs.

Also, playing without having my ranked MMR at stake allows me to try to play to improve instead of playing to win, and when trying to acquire something you don’t have, those can be quite different.

So unranked allows me to train without destroying my MMR during the week, and ranked to see the results when actually playing to win during the week-end. :bulb:

What do you hate so much in unranked ?

Well it appears you do as you use it yourself period.

You can reach it by actually playing ranked. You don’t have to use unranked.

But your opponent’s mmr is at stake. How is it fair if only one side risks losing mmr? If you want to play to improve, just play normal ranked games simple.

Emphasis on “me” and “my.” It’s always about oneself when talking about unranked. It’s selfish, and that’s why I don’t like it.

Not everyone has the same methodical and moral approach as you. Most people use unranked to use lower ranked people as a punching bag. I guarantee it, and that’s why I hate it.

Ranked MMR should always matched = Unranked MMR
Ranked MMR 4500 = Unranked MMR 4500

If you win ranked game +20 mmr and then you lost unranked game
Ranked match win 4520 = Unranked MMR 4520
Unranked match lost 4520 = Ranked match 4520

If you lost ranked game -20 mmr and then you lost unranked game
Ranked match lost 4480 = Unranked MMR 4480
Unranked match lost 4480 = Ranked match 4480

Easy fix

No I do not.

I don’t know what job you have, but mine is 8 to 11H a day, with sometimes additional nighttime. And so during the week, my playtime can be quite late, be performed under sleep debt condition and at hours where there are >30% of smurfs. Not to mention must-answer phonecalls.

So yeah, playing ranked at those moments would only achieve my ranked MMR being destroyed. On the contrary, I can sleep, choose moments when I’m not going to be disturbed, and will mostly play to win during week-ends. So week-ends are ranked time for me.

That is not certain, and would take way longer, as my winrate is lower due to unfavorable circumstances during the week.

On reverse, some players might be able not to play to win even in ranked, but I’m not one of them. The first minutes of unranked allow me to better focus on improving specific things rather than trying getting every possible little advantage benchmark style (which unfortunately I tend to do in ranked, and in unranked passed the first minutes).

Both our MMRs are at stake, only mine isn’t my main. I do not lose games deliberately, and if my opponents didn’t either, the matchmaking should still get opponents of similar level. And so if he lost, it’s that he made some mistake that earned him a deserved defeat.

And, considering the ragequits I do earn against more than half opponents, I do suppose that they don’t like defeats whether its ranked or not.

It’s 1v1 and I do not choose my opponents. Of course it’s all about my skill, my level, and my fun. I do salute my opponents, do GG upon defeat, and don’t offensive GG if they weren’t rude. That the most considerate one could be in 1v1.

As for caring about others that do 1v1 below me, that’s one of the reasons why I’m surveying several leagues in my smurfs threads. I do not know if the devs will ever consider the smurfs issue, and if they do, and might’ve reached a leagues where there are almost none by that time. But if I can spare to others the crapfest I’ve been through, I’ll do it.

By default your unranked MMR is the same than your ranked one. So if you’re facing much stronger opponents than your ranked level, whether they are unranked or not, it’s rather a smurfing problem. There are also moments where there are so few players in the pool that you get match against users of farther MMR than usual, but that’s linked to the amount of available players, affects you regardless you play ranked or not, and would only worsen if the unranked and ranked pools were to be separated.

The morally correct choice would be to just let it happen. What you actually decide to do is completely up to you.

This is called anxiety my friends. Just one excuse after another.

So your mmr is not at stake.

That’s really the end of the discussion here, and why I don’t like unranked.

It may be for a bit, but once you start playing, it is completely separate from your main mmr. The game keeps track of separate unranked mmr for you. That is fact. So no, your unranked mmr is not the same as your ranked one. Let’s say you are 4.8k mmr for real, but your unranked mmr is 4k. You will be matched with players around 4k mmr if you go in unranked. In other words, D1 players will be facing someone at the M2 level. That in itself is unfair. What makes it more unfair is that if this D1 player wins, they will only gain 20 mmr rather than 50 (the amount they would get if they beat you at 4.8k mmr). Everything is stacked against your opponent. This is fact, and if you can’t see otherwise, then I don’t know what to tell you.

And again, not everyone operates the way you do. Plenty of players abuse unranked to smurf on lower level players. Just make a smurf account or play on another server if you are worried about losing main mmr.