What are the most brain-damaged matches that you have ever played?

Can relate with the BC Raynor’s, it NEVER feels like a useful ally.

Currently leveling prestige Nova but I used to play a lot of Fenix/Stettman/Mengsk.
It’s astonishing how often I got replies like “Ow wow, I never saw this commander being played like that”. Many people underestimate how important macro is (my micro is still sh!!..)

What is would be the correct way to word the title. Please edit.

1 Like

It’s not that braindamaged, but I was still shocked and it’s worth sharing.

Played a regular brutal match on Oblivion Express. Ally was a non-prestige level 11 Kerrigan. As some of you may already know since I mention it quite often, I usually distrust Kerrigan players, since only 1 out of 5 are decent - if even. Since OE is my favorite map, I stayed.

While the Kerrigan used the abilities pretty well and often, it took her ages to get some units. Had two Spires in the base. Up to that point where some Mutas finally arrived, we already had several trains including a bonus. I wonder how all of that would’ve went if I didn’t participate in everything… (Alarak P3)

669 vs 179 kills. 116’557 vs 17’458 train damage. She gathered 31’861 resources. I don’t want to know how many resources were just floating around since she didn’t do anything except those two Greater Spires. Her air force wasn’t impressive at all.

Ok now comes the shocker. After the match I checked the profile. Ascension 1000… I couldn’t believe it…

“But Pippo”, you might say, “since it was a level 11 non-Prestige Kerrigan, he was just new to the commander!”. You know, you have a point, but I’m just confused. It’s not only the Kerrigan gameplay, it’s also the basics of the map. His army was often parked between expansion and main. My base was the one at the top, by the way. My army was almost always between both rails. Sometimes he wouldn’t even go to the bottom train, or join me.

Maybe he was just discouraged because of Alarak P3, who knows. Empower Me quickly disposes of both rails. My army also had an overwhelming presence (pun intended) between the rails. It was a Protoss comp which wasn’t a big danger to the Destroyers.

Then again, I would definetly expect more from Ascension 1000. I sincerely believe that some of those players either botted, or used that stupid CoD B+ exp farm, which didn’t do anything to amplify their skills, or understanding of the game.

1 Like

Oh god, yeah that’s a big No-No. P3 is there for a reason. No other Raynor style is suitable for BC rush. None of them. Even P2 is more of a Factory/Starport hybrid.

Even with P3 it can be rough, depending on the enemy comp and objectives. Full mastery helps a lot. 120sec Hyperion cooldown reduction, and the faster recharge from your Starport units give it an incredible uptime. I even think P3 is pretty disappointing until you get your mastery. 60% cheaper upgrades is also very strong.

Anyway, adding to that topic:

• Had a Vorazun who went for three Stargates and nothing else on Void Launch. I get it, the objectives are air targets, but what are you gonna do about all the ground units? They will just walk past your Void Rays and demolish our base. With that build, you’ll still be floating minerals because you can’t sustain three Stargates due to the gas. Why not invest in some Centurions with their upgrades or at least spam cannons near the attack wave spawns. There were also 0 Dark Pylons. Two Protoss players, cloaked units get 40% shield regen, but hey, who needs that, right?
  • Fenix players who go straight for Carriers. Yeah sure, do not use the Champion concept at all, just brainlessly mass Carriers…

Covered all base entrances to OE with turrets and tanks / Thors and partner went off to the horizon to clear map.

Booooom, brain damaged.

Like Urun never said: “There’s just…too many of them…”
That’s why you’re fixing the wrong thing (“match” to “matches” would work better :wink: )

1 Like

Either way is fine. :joy:

Is 20 days necro’ing? Anyway…

I realise I’ve had an entire series of such games. Pre-prestige days. One of my regular-for-a-few-months allies who main’ed as Stukov - at a time when I had but didn’t play Stukov - almost never made bunkers.

Sometimes 8 diamondbacks. Didn’t make liberators even once, even against air comps. Tanks on occasion but never deep-tunneled, just regular unsiege, move, siege.

Bunkers were rare, and if present, max 4. Sometimes made a 2nd barracks. And just kept placing the psi emitter near objectives and asking for chrono on the colonist compound. Towards the end of games, he’d brag about floating 10k-15k minerals and having nothing to do with it :-/ All this while I was squeezing everything out of my eco to carry us. Good practice for me but I didn’t realise I braindead his strat was until I started playing Stukov. And everyone’s favourite - ignoring attack waves and primary objectives while going for bonus.

2 Likes

Given he’s probably on your friend list, if it was me, I’d have offered some advice to improve. That said, since you didn’t play Stukov at the time, you probably didn’t know either. Seems like neither knew based on your post.

1 Like

Exactly. I knew something was wrong, but not what precisely. I did advise him to move his ICC in front, as well as make more bunkers, but he may have hit his “max total allowed actions in a single game” after 4 bunkers.

Except, when I started playing Stukov, even just while levelling up, it became clear bunkers were the ideal army generator. But even without figuring that out, it should be “standard” that ppl should make prod structures and build an army. Heck, even if he made 5 Barracks and just blew all is minerals repeatedly on Marines, it would have been more of a build; and not just a 10 APM Ctrl+Z victory.

(Ctrl+Z = relocate psi emitter)

To me, there was nothing wrong until reaching that part (and some others after it).
Full Infested Marines (with lots of Barracks to produce them, hence why things finally sounded wrong at that point) can be made to work against everything (offense, defense, main, bonus objectives…).
The only weakness is a bit on Lock&Load.

Bunkers are so costly in resources, supply, and even time to build, that they aren’t that great. Maybe for late game, but in the beginning, they just make things more complicated.
The use of starports still elude me :rofl:

I’ve had a raynor ally with high mastery that played P3… and made only bio.

There was another game with Artanis P1 that went pure dragoon, when I told him that P1 does nothing for dragoons he didn’t believe me till I explained how it worked, and then he immediately left the game.

1 Like

That’s entirely not an issue, although I take from your tone the game clearly went entirely different. P3 doesn’t affect Raynor’s bio play. The increased cost is off set by MULES, and the earlier OC (tech removal via P3) offsets that delay compared to P0. That said, players need to know the build order and understand the offset ratio of OC/bio with regards to timings.

Necromancy is the act of suddenly pop on a topic that haven’t been active for a long time for the sake of spamming or answering something no longer relevant.

Example of answering something no longer relevant: arguing that the 400 reaource cost of the shield armor is too much and need to be reduced while it has already been reduced patches ago.

Example of spamming: “hey do you want a KFC?”

Since you said something relevant to my topic and it is not spamming, it’s not necro-ing, just a late answer.

1 Like

It’s hard to search for the exact forum definition. The Code of Conduct used to be a reach-able link that had a small definition regarding this (so I used to recall back citing it). Nowadays, the link no longer works. The best to be had are some general rules of code of conduct that applies across all games.

To complicate the matter, forums for different games are dealt differently from my understanding. This means SC2 forum code of conduct may differ (however slightly or largely) from another game such as D3. As such, the definition of similar things may vary.

That said, I found a small discussion on the WoW forum. This is a quote from the community manager:
I was actually just discussing this with a colleague yesterday. We didn’t immediately agree on the right timeframe for a thread to close after its last post, but it seems like 60 or 90 days is more than enough time.

So I can only confer based on that time frame provided a rough estimation. That said, time frame can be vastly different here on SC2 forum. Also, for reference, the discussion was under a topic regarding “Anti Necro Posting”.

My take given the current situation though, necro’ing of anything is no longer relevant. As such, it makes no difference whether it’s 20 days old or 1 year old. The game is at a standstill if you will. So it wouldn’t really matter what the infraction is anymore. The resources are so low that even if someone reported someone else, I’d highly doubt anything is to be done (let alone done justly).

I have never agreed with that code of conduct in the first week this new forum was made. I even made my first topic to be a discussion about what should truly be considered necro-ing, what should be discouraged and what should be encouraged.

Back then that code of conduct has its reasons because the game at that time was still updating much more frequently than they are now and that code mostly addresses the versus forum which update much faster and have more discussion than other sc2forums.

For the general internet rules, i think 60 or 90 days make absolutely no sense. What makes sense should be whether the post is still relevant to the discussion or not.

Playing as Raynor P0/P2, I use BCs often in Brutal+ and mutations. Many mutations shred bio, like double edged, diffusion, or anything AoE. Especially on DoN, where the mineral patches dry up.

Anyways, my favourite brain-dead ally will always be the Karax that walled off the main ramp in Oblivion Express

1 Like

Brain-damaged me:
I was playing Alarak P1, and was like “Damn it take forever to kill those supplicants to buff my mechas. Oh right, what if I made my army attack Alarak so it goes faster.”
Later, I came back and was like “Heh, where’s my army?”

Did you know Alarak can sacrifice any unit, not just supplicants? :rofl:

2 Likes

If I recall, this is still somewhat bugged. Alarak is suppose to prioritize supplicant over any other unit but somehow sometimes it chooses to select something else.

I once saw a guy going mass broodlords vs transmutation, he made quite an impressive hydrid army losing a game that was almost won.

Also while I was doing some aggressive recruitment carries using abby, while I was heading to the 4th terminal a karax ally decided to go build turrets around the 3rd terminal at the north of the map, and then told me to trust him when I told him it was a bad idea cause karax towers don’t stop fast poops. Only a few seconds later the entire tower setup was pooped and he quit.

4 Likes