Weakest Co-op commander?

Raynor is definitely the answer. Anything amazing that can be done with Raynor is either in very niche scenarios AND/OR is due to player skill rather than commander quality. That isn’t to say that Raynor is completely dead beat useless, he can actually be quite strong and fun, just that other commanders are stronger in more situations.

I’d still see Raynor as not that skill dependant. He’s not that hard to use his strengths, but it’s more that he has a couple nasty rabbit holes that people fall down instead.

Still, he doesn’t have any decent high-burst and high hp units outside the BC, and those are a very flawed unit, so many mutations hurt him bad.

I was hoping he might be better than Han and Horner :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
But I suppose H&H has better objective sniping and spawn camping
At least Raynor has better defense

H&H just has so many options, imo, that they can deal with things better than Raynor. Raynor suffers from being too much like his campaign counterpart, where even compared to the other campaigns he’s just far more vanilla.

This could play a part. Raynor is just boring to use because you used this type of stuff throughout the entire Terran Campaign and battle net that not too many people like to use him. No one skills up with him.

Vultures are better than mines though in terms of pure defense imho. With enough orbitals you can neutralise waves before they come.
Granted han and horner can do that far more aggressively with their calldowns

how to deal with vipers disabling cloud as raynor? my poor bio army always gets crushed. i tend to be much too clumped up tho, but even if i split i think i’d need something extra

easy. The classic bio split. spread your units across the whole screen in 2 seconds before engaging. :wink:

1 Like

Zerg is generally a pain for Raynor bio because of having two good spellcasters. In addition to pre-splitting use the Hyperion to snipe the spellcasters, and of course any strong ranged aoe units like reavers, disruptors, tanks, etc. Also, be sure to get a strong early eco before building any units (except against certain mutators). Topbar can handle early waves and start clearing. Strong eco and good macro means you can recover quickly from even a big mistake.

1 Like

You kid, but thanks to knowing where the attack waves are, it’s not that bad.

Another option that I don’t see much is using some Vikings, with the range and splash upgrades they’re pretty safe against scourge (not perfect either, of course)

Unless you’re up against Aggressive Deployment. Then you have half a second :melting_face:

1 Like

Trruuuee, but to be fair, there isn’t really all that much theoretical stuff in coop that survives mutations.

With some 4000 games on my overlay with a vast majority in Brutal+1 H&H has one of highest win rates for me personally playing H&H and for my ally playing H&H.

• In regular Brutal H&H gets a bad rep as he has trouble keeping up with faster commanders due to a slow ramp up.
  • In solo games H&H gets a bad rep due to attrition.
  • In mutations and Brutal+2+ H&H struggles against some mutation combinations.
  • H&H P2 and P3 players give H&H a massively bad rep (I can’t remember ever losing a Brutal+1 game with a P1 ally).

Now if you’re OK with mixing mech into your bio… you can try vultures. If you set up before hand, you might not need to worry as much about the cloud part. Look up “rapid fire key binding” or something like that to enable mine spamming.

Oh yeah, Vultures do well for the ground swarm, I was more referring to the Vipers themselves.

vipers suck as a macro/high count of units commander in general. snipe them or nuke them before the attack wave reaches your army. orbital strikes. hyperion. laser calldowns, griffon strikes whatever. I hate them in particular with explosive threats comp (mixed air and ground with lings, banes and hosts)

han and horner could use a buff as a whole or at least p2 and p3. it’s like hh p3 and abathur p3 are purposefully bad in the same way: you get limitless something but it’s a monkey paws thing because said limitless thing is worse actually

It seems like the Raynor counter vs. Suicide Zerg is just NOT Bio. If you’re set on the P1, then you’re outta luck. I would think air is the way to go. Just don’t clump your units to reduce army wipes due to mistakes. It should work vs. Zerg in general.

P1 bio is really tanky, especially if you make sure to mix in firebats and/or marauders. 5-10 firebats with 400-460 life are great for soaking up banes. Marauders can shrug off storms, take a few reaver/disrupter shots and destroy protoss mech. Just make sure to micro the marines behind the marauders.

That’s a great idea, but I rarely see anyone who can do that consistently. At least not in a decent brutation. The problem is that Raynor’s units are so small and mix up so much. And tons keep dropping in out of “formation”. You’re talking about adjusting 4 types of units on the fly that naturally randomize movement.