Visual/Thematic Inconsistencies in Zagara’s Skinset

This argument has gone on long enough. It’s just going around and around in circles and wasting both your time. After many posts, nobody has been convinced on any point; neither are they likely to in future.

If we’re going to continue contributing to this thread, it should be on the original topic: how Zagara’s skinset could be improved.

1 Like

I’ll agree to that. Thank you.

As for the main topic; how about Zagara get a building skin set?

1 Like

Aiur Protoss that start to use void energies is a big deal, and you are saying to me that NOBODY say nothing about that? If Aiur Protoss with void energies was a thing at least something they would have said. And since Artanis was the character more incled to do so, and he did not, is very unlikely someone else do.

Dark Templars just have the Blood Hunters ability, not the Avengers, that is a SoA ability totally disconneted to the actual unit.
Btw, if they add Blood Hunters they can add an upgrade to have the stasis ability where you can still damage the stasis units, in this way they can be different from DT. For Avengers, like I said, is a SoA ability, not a unit ability, so they can be added without problem (if ever they will).

For Simulants, until the release of Stetmann there was no proof, yhea, but now there is in both game and comic book. But for Aiur Protoss with void energy in the Daelaam there is not, that is just a your headcanon based on nothing.

That’s NOT a proof because BOTH are dead before the fondation of the Daelaam, if you show me an Aiur Protoss IN THE Daelaam that use void energy, then yhea, I can belive you, but right now, there is nothing about that.

Dude, did you not read ChuckMorris’s comment? Drop it. The argument doesn’t even have anything to do with this thread anymore.

Asking around and doing a little digging; there is a Graphic Novel where an Aiur Protoss channels the Void. Her name is “Lekila”. Evidently, the Graphic Novel is Starcraft: Frontline.

Also, (evidently); Artanis requires (some) amount of Void connection/control to use Zeratul’s Warp Blade.

So, let that be the end of the debate. Back to Zagara.

Bit unrelated but can we rename Apex Predator to Overqueen? seems more fitting for Zagara

2 Likes

That might work. I’d be fine with that.

It would work thematically and lore-wise, but they do seem to be going for a Primal Zerg aesthetic with P3. Overqueen fits her standard lore well, but they seem to be going for an unconventional theme with P3, which P3’s current name and alternate model reflect. At least that’s what I think.

Overqueen definitely is more fitting for Zagara in general, but with P3 they seem to have chosen not what is fitting, but what is bizarrely unconventional. Kind of like an alternate universe version of the character. By giving huge buffs to Zagara in exchange for taxing her army and restricting the influence of Mass Frenzy, Apex Predator pushes individualism to the extreme, something exemplified by the Primal Zerg. Overqueen also suggests individualism, but it doesn’t imply weakening the Swarm, which P3 does via the aforementioned tax and Mass Frenzy restriction.

I feel like the P3 Zagara special model’s look also seems to steal the thunder from any potential Niadra psionic zerg vibe that a lot of people were anticipating.
Not sure how i feel about that.

I’m not sure what you mean by that. The only difference I see is Zagara’s design.

I think I’ve finally realized why the current implementation of Zagara’s skinset bothers me so much, and it’s because what the skins communicate to the player is not consistent. On units like Drones, Queens, and Overseers, the updated skins are merely cosmetic. They aren’t any different from the base units. But for Swarmlings and Splitters, the different skins signify a mechanical difference. Her Zerglings and Banelings don’t even get the Leviathan Brood skins until later levels, something no other commander does with their skinset – having portions of the skinset locked behind later levels. So overall, it just ends up feeling inconsistently applied, and detracts from the visual uniqueness of the upgraded Zerglings and Banelings. It really shows that Zagara was not designed with an alternate skinset in mind.

In contrast, Han and Horner were designed with a skinset and mind – thus, Horner’s Dominion units have unique skins both before and after their upgrades. There the disparity is justified by lore reasons, because Horner’s units come from a different army, and are later upgraded with the technology of Han’s mercenary army.

If Zagara’s skinset were to be consistent, it would have to apply to all of her units and structures from the start, including her hero unit and her default Zerglings and Banelings. An alternative is that Zagara receive entirely new unit skins, which look like toned-down versions of the Leviathan Brood skins. These would have reduced sails and spikes, but would still capture the general aesthetic, and would have a subtly different color scheme with purple highlights. They would still use the Leviathan Brood portraits. That would give the spikes and sails of Swarmlings and Splitterlings a chance to stand out more, and would give that radical visual difference more meaning.

As it is, getting those visual upgrades for Zerglings and Banelings currently doesn’t have the meaning or impact that it should – instead of “Look at the spikes on those Zerglings” now it’s “Hooray, my Zerglings and Banelings finally match the rest of my army”. (Which isn’t even true, because Aberrations and Scourges don’t have Leviathan Brood skins. It just makes me want to ask “Why does half of her army looks this way when the other half and none of her structures do?”)