Vespene gas lost on each map due to far geysers

I previously did testing on how much vespene gas income is lost per far geyser. The #1 question on that video is which maps have the far gases. To test this, we go into every single co-op map and test whether each player’s gas is far or not.

My approach:

1. Go into the arcade version of all co-op maps and control both players to take their vespene gas.
  2. Identify which geysers are far based on whether the harvesting structure is 100% utilized. There are a few ways to identify whether it’s full [which are different ways of saying essentially the same thing]:
    a. The harvesting structure has a worker in it 100% of the time.
    b. Two gas-harvesting workers cannot be seen facing opposite directions just outside the geyser they are harvesting from.
    c. All worker stop just before entering the gas harvesting structure.
  3. Estimate for each map how many minutes of gas harvesting time there are.
    a. Average map duration for regular players
    b. Subtract 2 mins from main gases to account for initial buildup.
    c. Subtract 6 mins from expansion gases to account for expansion time.
  4. Multiply by the average gas lost per minute based on my previous testing.

If you want to watch the test, and/or are a kind person who wants to support a small co-op Youtuber, here’s the whole test:

For the others, here are the results:

About half of the maps in co-op have a far gas issue, and the losses can average from 180 to 320. Vespene gas is a constraining resource for many commanders, and they stand to lose the equivalent value of 6 Hydralisks or 6 Dragoons, or 2 Siege Tanks, or 3 Swarmhosts, or over 20 Banelings.

Some commanders have remedies for far gases without necessarily spending on an extra worker. Here are some solutions:

Commander Solution
Extra Orbital Commands on the far geyser’s side to make it “closer”. You’ll likely want them anyway for the extra MULEs and/or scans. Does not apply to the Void Launch far gases, or the Miner Evacuation right expansion.
Macro hatchery on the far geyser’s side to make it “closer”. You’ll likely want to get them anyway for the extra larva. Does not apply to the Void Launch far gases, or the Miner Evacuation right expansion.
Macro hatchery on the far geyser’s side to make it “closer”. You’ll likely want to get them anyway for the extra larva. Does not apply to the Void Launch far gases, or the Miner Evacuation right expansion.
Auto Assimilators
Macro hatchery on the far geyser’s side to make it “closer”. May be considered unnecessary depending on your playstyle. Does not apply to the Void Launch far gases, or the Miner Evacuation right expansion.
Auto Refineries
Auto Assimilators
Macro hatchery on the far geyser’s side to make it “closer”. Or keep your stetzone blue all game, if you care more about income than completing the objectives.

The best solution for the rest will be an extra worker on the far geysers.

23 Likes

:blue_heart: :point_up: :postbox:

Now I expect an in-depth analysis of the 14 Drone-Kerrigan-solo opener benefits from this 3 versus 4 worker issue :eyes:

4 Likes

Gem of a post. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Great Video!! I have to thank QED for bringing this up!

I discovered this because of you! Thank you!

Just a reminder to anyone else who may not know. You can bookmark your favourite topics.

This was one of them for me way back for obvious reasons.

Apology for the necro.

1 Like

This had to be addressed. A very worthy and good necro.

Necro is an action of reply to very old topic with the intention to spam or saying something irrelevant.

We discourage necro because spamming or saying irrelevant thing are bad just as necromancy is considered a dark art.

Since there is nothing irrelevant or bad about your response. It would be encouraged instead of discouraged.

1 Like

Yeah honestly a big bump but good to know. 1-2 more Tychus upgrades for me? Yes please.

how do you tell if you’re player 1 or 2 and which expo is player 1 and player 2

I think player 1 and 2 always spawn on a specific side. You can find out for sure by watching replays of a particular map.

About extra main structure as solution - if you actively using chrono as protoss to help ally, you may freely build 3rd/4th nexus for additional chrono boosts, but it probably will be not soon enough in game so 4th workers will be used at the early game stage anyways.

Macro extra main was never suggested for protoss commanders, only for raynor and zergs that usually do extra ccs/hatches. for protoss commanders simply add a 4th worker to the far gas.

Eh, I’d rather make extra nexi instead of more pylons here and there if I have the minerals to burn. Chrono with masteries is far too useful not to exploit.

I’m suggesting you that. It’s not about macro, it’s about additional chrono and is better be done only after full saturation.

确实相当有趣,拥有自动采集的沃拉尊、诺娃、泽拉图采集量为240高能瓦斯。
其他的指挥官每分钟采集量最高只能达到232.
所有地图气矿距离远的,采集量只有228或者224
斯旺的一个气骡每分钟加成20点高能瓦斯采集量,总共8个采集量160每分钟
玩家的4个高能瓦斯气泉,采集量为448(神庙)每分钟~480(神庙+沃拉尊)每分钟。
斯旺的高能瓦斯加成为33%。
合作模式20分钟的总共采集量在8960~9600之间,斯旺加成在11917~12768之间。
斯台特曼的加速效果,3工人的采集量等于4工人的采集量。
蒙斯克的加速效果则不能。(20%)