Ultra wide support

I found a solution. Just went to my monitor settings, went to ratio and checked original. If I tab out of the game then I have my normal widescreen, but inside the game it has black borders on both sides and not stretched :smiley: .
If monitors does not have this function then we should ask for drivers to implement it, since I think there are many games that would not have native support, and to play it stretched out is a pain!

2 Likes

Wow, less than 2%? I would have thought it was most people by now playing on Ultrawide, they arenā€™t ā€˜thatā€™ much. Iā€™m not bragging, causeā€¦ why? But a couple of years ago my wife bought me 3 37" LG Ultrawides that are awesome. Iā€™m running them on an EVGA 2080 RTX, AMD 3900x and G.Skill 32GB DDR4 28800 for AMD, custom liquid cooled on a Gigabyte X570 motherboardā€¦ and, oh 2 Western Digital WD850 SSDs RAIDed for speed (which I highly recommend, itā€™s awesome). NZXT cases are awesome too btw.

Anyway, playing games like EVE Online is great with 3 Ultrawide monitors and you can look all around you basically. Config can be a little tricky sometimes, but once you get it locked in itā€™s great.

Obviously my setup would be a huge advantage if I could stretch SC2 across 3 Ultrawide monitors. But thereā€™s something about those black bars on the side thatā€™s justā€¦ so annoying. Seems like thereā€™d be something better. Maybe putting your minimap on the side, your minerals and unit count. I donā€™t knowā€¦ just ā€˜somethingā€™ prettier and/or productive. Maybe even control your music from there.

One more thing. Why be rude right off the bat guys? Itā€™s so simple to say something like ā€˜Oh, yeah manā€¦ the reason itā€™s not implemented is because if youā€™re playing one on one with another person, youā€™d be able to see him/her before theyā€™d see youā€¦ and so itā€™s unfair, and thereā€™s really no practical way to fix it. So in the name of balance, this is the way it has to be. Sucks I know, but hey, thereā€™s lots worse things in life, so cheer up. :)ā€™

1 Like

W I D E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AvsFDO9K10

2 Likes

annyoing discussion it seems :stuck_out_tongue:

1. techincally it is possible (the engine would support it)
  2. the limitation is to see a maximum of X units (I donā€™t know the correct amount) on the x axis and a maximum of Y units on the y axis. this way having any other ratio than 16:9 whould have a disadvantage

example: assuming we can see max 160 units on the x axis and 90 units on the y axis. having a 4:3 resolution would mean that you see max 90 units on the x axis but only 120 units on the x axis (less to the sides). having a 21:9 resolution would mean that you see max 160 units on the x axis but only 68.57 units on the y axis (less to the top and bottom).

that means that the advantage is with a 16:9 resolution and a competitive player would rather use a 16:9 resolution while a casual player would prefer his native resolution.

Why not stick to 4:3 then, come on itā€™s 2021, can we update to the new screen format? At lest let us see the map with fog of war, it will always be better than black screen and you donā€™t get much more information out of it.

I donā€™t mind bringing this back up tooā€¦ I just bought my new 3070 with an ultrawide 3440x1440 and wanted to come and revisit this game that I love, excitedly looking forward to the glory of seeing it on the ultrawide screen on max settings, only to have it stretched out and look ridiculous.

Iā€™ll never play competitively. I play single player only, and would have loved to see this as a feature. So sad to find out that itā€™s not available. And that apparently they took steps to actually disable 3rd party fixes.

And, at the very minimum, the solution proposed for black bars on the side does not offer any advantage, while still allowing the game to be played. Itā€™s sad they havenā€™t at least done that.

3 Likes

Game was 10 +year say thx if any patch coming

1 Like

stop bumping it gives players an advantage in competitive 1v1 for widescreen. this game is an esport not a sandbox.

1 Like

21:9 will never work in Sc2 ā€“ that would be completely unfair cause youā€™d get to see a lot more than your opponents.

You have to set your monitor settings correctly and it will display it properly in 16:9 with letterbox black bars.

1 Like

Theyā€™ve ceased ALL DEVELOPMENT WORK on sc2. This will literally NEVER happen.

unlock ultrawide for game, if u want to have a future and not dying in vga era, tx, and for those who say that only 2% are playing in wide a question: how the h u want somenone to use the ultrawide if is not usuable in game only with third party software ? :))) fgs activate the ultrawide and the use will rise to 90%

1 Like
  1. Only 2% of gamers reportedly have an UW display, per Steam Hardware Survey which is the most reliable source of data we have.
  2. There is NO DEV TEAM for Sc2 anymore, so UW will literally NEVER be implemented.
  3. The last time resolution settings updated for SC2 they put code in place to PREVENT 3rd party tools from activating UW so even if there was a Dev team they took a clear and active stance against using UW in SC2.

So stop necroing these threads. UW will never happen in SC2. If thatā€™s a deal breaker then uninstall and go play CoD

UltraWide is not enough, Iā€™d like Super UltraWide 32:9, itā€™s time to move out from old standards. I will keep asking because I keep playing the game and this is the only way we have to ask for support. They could leave the fog of war active outside 16:9, I personaly just donā€™t like black dead space on both sides.

If they donā€™t want to make money from the game anymore they could open source it to the community or sell it. I supported it buying skins and I want more SC2, if they are not willing to meet demand somebody else eventually will. Starcraft is the only way I will give money to Blizzard.

1 Like

Then youā€™re not giving any money to Blizzard ever again. Congrats.

They actively added code to prevent SC2 from going into UW let alone your uber niche Super UW. Blizzard will also never sell the rights, not after what happened with DOTA. SC2 is in the same state BW is in and will remain in that state as long as Blizzard keeps the servers running.

Then I will keep complaining until a comparable RTS comes out :hugs:

1 Like

Well then youā€™ll be complaining for the next few years upon deaf ears, because there literally is no dev team for SC2. Frost Giantā€™s RTS is likely the only comparable option and thatā€™s not due for a while.

Youā€™re a :clown_face:

Assuming base resolutions for 4:3 being 1024x768, and 16:9 being 1280x720, I calculated that 1260x540 (21:9 * 60) could work to not give an advantage in amount of display over existing resolutions.
I donā€™t know what kind of resolutions 21:9 use in general, or technical details behind everything, but thatā€™s what I thought of, probably very inaccurate, but itā€™s a slow start.
This can bring to the question: would you be alright to lose about 25% of vertical size to fully enjoy your horizontal size?

Whatā€™s wrong with aoe 4?

Tout cela est inutile.

Thereā€™s no point to any theorizing on UW resolutions for SC2.
To reiterate:

1. There is no Dev team for SC2 anymore, there will not be technical upgrades for the SC2 client at all for the rest of time.

2. The last time resolutions were patched, they made it so third party tools could no longer override the UW resolution limit. This means they put active effort to PREVENT UW. So even if there was a dev team still, they made it clear they do not want SC2 to support UW.

Itā€™s AoE. Thatā€™s really all.

AoE is a synchronous rock/paper/scissors RTS and that alone makes it incomparable to StarCraft because StarCraft is asynchronously balanced.

2 Likes