Throwers in ranked

Try logging-in on EU, it works fine currently (14H:20 GMT). :slight_smile:

Or (if you like the game), you can learn to recognize them, and deny them the pleasure of a regular game. Superior mechanics can’t always compensate for bad scouting or decision making :

:cowboy_hat_face:

@Trias

As a platinum/diamond player i don’t mind getting smurfed by some master/gm guy. I will take that as an advantage and learn from them, but think of all those poor bronze-silver-gold players getting smurfed over and over. All that frustration will eventually make them lose interest in this game and leave it.

4 Likes

Sc2 kinda adopted you only get better by playing better opponents from brood war, which is a true statement, the big issue is that its a behavior(smurfing) that will push away new players. Look at brood war for example, during the launch of remaster a sizeable player showed up; but pre-launch you saw lots of posts about how to make the game approachable for new players. But that got shot down quick from devs and the old playerbase. Now the result is only the korean region is alive and any other servers the player pool is so low that its always a missmatch or its a smurf playing, since you can make like 6-7 accounts from one bnet I believe. One of my favorite things about starcraft 2 especially during its peak, is the accurate match making and normal climb through ladder. Which does still exist today but its getting skewed slowly but surely.

just a bump, ran into this dude so many times; throwing games
https ://imgur.com/a/J6mR6E8

I’ve been matched with some quality specimens too, lately. However, this community rules are not to enforce sanctions nor to target individuals by yourself. So you can discuss about the phenomenon in general (cf. dedicated thread), but can’t post this kind of screens without anonymizing them first or if an ill-intended viewer sees that’ll enable him to report you to a moderator.

the ill intended viewer reporting me for exposing the ill intended player abusing players in rank :confused:

Yeah, absolutely. I learned it the hard way about one year ago : in these forums, if you want to denounce some kind of bad behavior, you’d better make absolutely sure your posts are 100% chart compliant, otherwise you’ll get reported by the very ones you were supposed to report.

You’ll have to understand that about one user over five is a smurf, and that the more their doings are talked about, the higher the chances for the devs to take action. And so if they see the smallest infraction to the chart, they’re likely to use it to shut the thread down. The same applies to hackers : even if themselves disrespect the code of conduct, they can still get careless users’ complaints to be shut down using that very same code. Interesting behavior, isn’t it ? :smiley:

So if you want to use screens as examples, you have to blur any parts of them that could lead some angry readers to target the described individual :

There are plenty of examples on the thread I gave you, you should take a look at it, some parts are worth the read to every player.

1 Like

I’ve read it, I just don’t genuinely believe blizzard cares about that issue, especially now that sc2 is in maintenance mode.

Usually guys that use that portrait are hackers, bots or high level farmers.

The guy who got publicly flogged got it because he was being toxic after winning and then challenged beasty to a rematch. I think that’s fair enough. It would be different if he publicly humiliated someone who lost to a meme build.

I mean I do this in any game I can loss bot in. When i came back to play this game for the first time in a decade and the last time i played i was a college kid with no life so yes im gonna leave 20 games before i start trying because i don’t feel like getting rofl stomped for hours before i get an enjoyable game. Far as im concerned this is a feature. Plus at my age its not about being good its about having a good time i want to play in a bracket where i can just make whatever units i want and a click and have about a 50/50 shot at winning.

The chances are rather low for them to take action against this issue. But that already was before SC2 went into long-term mode. Which is why the thread also features infos and tips for us players. Glad you did read it anyway. :slight_smile:

Freelosing isn’t necessary to achieve that, just playing normally would get you at at 50/50 win chances eventually.

Or would, if there wasn’t people from two leagues above who need to get a ratio closer to 100% in order to feel like men again. So you’ll get rofl-stomped anyways I’m afraid. :confused:

Yea but understand from my point of view where I care about me and not you or anyone else it doesn’t really make sense for me to burn out on coming back to the game by getting stomped. Im not in my 20s anymore i don’t want to watch replays or know the meta or any of that crap anymore i just want to play. So no i wont gate my fun behind hours of losses for the integrity of the game when i don’t care about it at all. My point was simply that some people who do this like me are not trying to style on people. Simply put if the game remembers you as a diamond player but your apm isn’t even triple digits anymore Not loss botting is in my mind just insane. At the end of the day the game measures your play ability and it doesn’t really matter if I can play better or not If I’m the kind of guy who want to fast tech to utras for no reason does it really matter if I know its not good if I’m going to do it anyway?

You’ve got some guts to write that in a forum of SC2 addicts. However, you’re being honest, which is what most smurfs are unable to.

You’re asking for a game which would reward you perfectly despite disrupting the way it is supposed to work. That’s selfish, and will only bring others to replicate that behavior, depriving you of your objective. This, in a way is also childish, because you don’t care about your fun disrupting the ones of others, and assimilate victories to fun (which is a trait a lot of smurfs do share).

Well, I’m sorry, but SC2 is all about challenge, and so it’s normal not to keep-up if you don’t invest yourself into it. And since the game nor its players aren’t your preoccupation, our objectives do differ.

Anyway, if you’ve not played since more than 4 seasons, then you should have 5 placement games to play, and would then be in a provisional state. Your MMR will lower itself several times faster during this period, so even if you didn’t freelose, you still wouldn’t have to get rolled over for hours until you reach your 50/50 MMR.

That means that even playing the game the way you want you’d end up with that 50/50 ratio. No need to freelose for that (what you’re doing is freelosing, bot losing is using a hack program to do it in your stead, and is strictly forbidden).

Anyway, at the very least thanks for your honesty ; even if that’s not the aim, this kind of feedback might be useful to people who care about the game. ^^

I mean I see your point of view but to think selfish people like me will sit though hours of getting smashed. I’m not asking for anything i was just letting you know that when you see someone with 20 losses in a row that doesn’t mean they are smurfing. I had not played in more than 4 seasons but I literally needed to lose thousands of mmr to be in the right bracket. I left the first 20 games and still got blasted the next 5. So I think the disconnect is this IT DOES in fact take hours doing it the normal way you’re simply wrong about that. Also there is a good chance i move back to another game in by the time I’m placed correctly I’m already back on warcraft 3 or something. TLDR anecdotally my account has loss botted and I had no intention of smurfing i just wanted to be able to play without trying and have a enjoyable match without hours of frustration.

I’m afraid that’s the very definition of a freelosing smurf (even though some do their freeloses in one time streaks). Because that might then place you below even your current level, even if in your case you don’t mean to stay below it, nor to repeat the process.

You may have a point here indeed. This would plead in favor of reinstating a certain amount of MMR decay, as Abs suggested in another thread.

Thanks for taking the time of explaining your motivations, nonetheless.

Hey now I can do a bronze to diamond series as well. its not smurfing when I do it becuase I am a noob.

1 Like

Rofl. ^^

Even if one attempted bronze to gold series, it could be labelled bronze to GM because of the smurfs you may encounter.

Best way to correct this thrower/smurf issue is to create a group of dedicated warriors who practice and battle for the sake of improvement and only those within the group can do so.

I think the game has a way to form such groups or clan? And you create ladder games. Masterfully delightful laddering by way of exclusivity. This will guarantee the absence of throwers.

Make the group one thousand members strong and you will have an abundance of variety.

theoretically, yea making a massive group could work, just like theoretically normal matchmaking would work if there were no throwers. It’s a player behavior problem, like a college soccer player against kids in soccer or something since he doesn’t want to face players at his level. I’ve played in clan wars, sc2 grassroots tourney like choboteamleague .com (<— shout out to them btw they pretty cool); but even they have had there issues with players pretending to be a rank there not to score easy wins. Its player behavior problem through and through.

1 Like