The Many Plot Holes In The Story About The Void

So do all protoss go to the void after they die?
Is there a ruler of the Void?
Do terrans and zerg also go to the Void when they die?
How do dark templar use void energies?
Amon and Duran were killed in the Void…so where are they now?
How were Kerrigan and Raynor able to enter the Void if they were technically still alive?
How was Ouros/The Overmind resurrected from the Void?
Is the void a place in the Universe or a different dimension?

None of this explained very well in Legacy Of The Void. Perhaps they suppose we all read all of the lore. A lot of these things just did not add up for me.

No, Protoss do not go to the Void when they die as far as I know.

It was Amon.

No.

Someone else will be able to better explain than I, but as I understand it, once cut off from the Khala, they were able to use their innate psionic gifts to tap into another source of energy, which was the Void.

As far as we know, they’re actually dead.

The Void isn’t some sort of after life, it’s another universe, the one the Xel’Naga are from. Raynor and Kerrigan, along with Artanis and their forces, enter the Void by opening a portal to it via Ulnar as shown in the Epilogue’s intro cutscene.

I don’t believe Ouros was ever resurrected from the Void. Same with the Overmind. Void energies actually kill the Overmind, thus the reason Dark Templar were needed to strike at the creatures and their Cerebrates.

A different dimension. The Xel’Naga are from there, as far as we know, and they created our universe, and countless others throughout the millennia, seeding these universes with life as part of their Infinite Cycle.

Hopefully this helps to clarify.

2 Likes

haha ok I love how at the end you say “our universe.” I guess that was part of my point with all of this is we start getting into some religious stuff by asking these kind of questions. Which I think Blizzard is very dodgy about. I am a Christian myself so I would put “God” where you put “Xel’Naga.” LOL no I’m only kidding haha. But seriously I think Blizzard has always been careful in the dialogue especially with the terrans in talking about where they go when they die. I guess I was under the impression the Void is some sort of afterlife. But I didn’t really read the lore either. I probably should. But I’m still confused so like when Amon and Duran died in the Void there’s no other explanation I guess they went to hell? haha. But I was under the impression that the protoss’ “religion” was centered around the Void and it was considered some sort of holy place. Until Amon got there. I know I am wrong with all of this I’m just kind of confused. Like for example when they are talking about how if a zealot dies it has the ability to “resurrect” as a dragoon. How does it do that and where does it go in between? Maybe in my mind I am comparing it to Christianity or Judaism. I don’t think there is any doubt that Blizzard would try to avoid any kind of religious controversy. I am wondering I guess how the protoss relate religiously to like the Void and Khala. Perhaps the Khala and/or psionic energy (or the Xel’ Naga) is sort of like their “god” I don’t know. Just a lot of things didn’t add up for me in the story.

And this is a loaded question but if the Xel’ Naga created all life in the Universe who created the Xel 'Naga? And if you don’t know don’t bother leaving me some smart a ss comment pretending you know it all.

They came from the Void in some way, but that’s the extent of what has been revealed about them.

1 Like

Like Kelthar said, they seem to have arisen from the void itself, and lived out an endless cycle of finding their way into new universes, seeding them with life, and then dying to allow the pure of form and pure of essence from those universes to ascend into new xel’naga.

I imagine it’s been so many cycles that none of the xelnaga relevant to the story of starcraft could even tell you where they came from to start with, or anything prior to their own universe

1 Like

Yeah, it’s never been said where anyone goes when they die, regardless of species.

When a Xel’Naga’s physical form is killed in our universe, they return to the Void, but they’re not actually dead.

For Zeaolts, they’re not dead either. When you kill a Zealot, that blue flame you see, apparently it’s them being teleported back home just in time to save them. Thus why there’s never a body.

Assuming they’re too mangled to be healed, they can then be placed in a Dragoon.

1 Like

Also, I think you’re confused the Void for the Khala. When the Protoss died, it’s possible to preserve their knowledge, memory and feeling via the Khala somehow. So the Protoss view it as both sacred and dubbed it as some kind of afterlife.

1 Like

You aren’t the only one. I feel the same way. I have nothing against magic (though I preferred if SC had stayed scifi rather than turning into Warcraft in space by both plot and setting), but it still needs a consistent explanation. Blizzard is consistently terrible at consistent explanations.

I doubt even Blizzard knows their own lore anymore, or cares to know for that matter. They seem quite happy to make things up and change established facts as they go.

This is a retcon mentioned in obscure sources that generally seems to be ignored everywhere else. Whenever protoss teleport in the games and cinematics, they always use the same generic teleport animation. The death animation is never used for teleportation.

In Lasarra’s death scene, a zealot in a LotV cinematic trailer, and Ma’lash’s death scene, their bodies release a burst of team-colored flames as they die. Perhaps symbolizing the soul leaving. The zealot in the cinematic leaves a corpse behind, but Lasarra and Ma’lash instantly fade away due to game mechanics.

I suspect at one point in development it was intended as a afterlife from which souls could be downloaded into new bodies, back when protoss were imagined as robots. Then the same idea was recycled for the purifiers. Under analysis, I can’t think of a good reason why the Khala couldn’t be used as a form of immortality other than destroying narrative tension but there’s still ways around that problem.

1 Like

You’re alive and back!

Quickly, now! Check out some of our old post; you need to see how we complain about the game. The most recent one is ‘Reverse’ by Brother Bifrost. There is another one called ‘3 missions away from finishing HotS’.

1 Like

What is your specific point? What do you want me to focus on?

I was never interested in criticizing SC2 because that is not very controversial. Everybody agrees it has huge writing problems. But these problems stem from SC1 being vague and contradictory to begin with.

That you misunderstand us horribly? And that we are under no illusions that the story is flaw.

Everything, good hunter! Just EVERYTHING!

Wait, what, now? I thought when you claim the story is bad and full of retcon you were criticizing it. Am I missing something here?

I thought you once told us that you hate it how we put our head in the sand and ignore all the problem with the story. You feel like it is your obligation to correct us and explain how bad the story is according to the wiki and the original manual. Am I wrong?

As a side note, when you read about my complain about the campaign; please remember that I was only listing my own personal miff about it. I left out all the general disapprovals because I really, really, really hate redundancy. (I hate it so that the three reallys here are not redundant.)

But what about the mAnUaL? (Sorry, I just have to tease you here. I meant you no offend. Don’t take it too seriously, okay?)

1 Like

Holistically, yes. But I prefer not to dwell on SC2. It cannot be salvaged and SC3 will bulldoze the lore all over again anyway so there is no reason to care.

The manual is extremely vague and has a few inconsistencies. Given what I know about Blizzard, it is a miracle that it turned out as internally consistent as it did.

3 Likes

This is embarrassing to admit, but you, sir, are beyond my comprehension. I thought I was starting to understand you and your motive, but now? The only thing I know about you is that you want to bulldoze through all that is canon and remake everything from the ash in your own image. (At least, I hope I got that one correct.) As for the reason why you want to do it? I have absolutely no idea.

Most people reject Starcraft as schlock. A vanishingly small minority like the story. Every creative community I talked to called the story “radioactive.”

I like the story, but I hate the warts. Removing the warts would require extensive rebooting because the story is mostly warts.

If you think that removing the warts qualifies as destroying Starcraft, then I have no idea what to tell you. Your view of what starcraft even is clearly differs from my view.

I think Starcraft is about the terrans, zerg, and protoss fighting philosophy and war. So I have zero problem with axing the Dominion, Overqueen, and Daelaam because, like the overwhelming majority of people who critically considered the Starcraft story, I find them lame and boring. Unlike the majority, I’m still willing to try salvaging Starcraft rather than consigning it to the dustbin of nerd history.

That’s made me a social pariah among the tiny minority of nerds who still like the story and haven’t fled in disgust like everyone else, because the internet is serious business. I can’t shutup about how I don’t want to lick the dogcrap off kerry’s high-heeled feet. It’s an awful habit of mine.

Does any of that aid you in understanding me?

Plot twist, Tricky is Amon.

3 Likes

Yeah that makes sense.

Small scale messiah complex, woobie, full of… himself.

Really? Ad hominem attacks now? Have we sunk so low?

You made us all into monsters.

2 Likes

We have done so many times before. Including you.

Anyway, I was just one-upping Bart’s joke, so I don’t even feel bad.

1 Like