The future of the franchise

Hello Blizzard!

So the question I’m going to ask you is not an update. My real question is, I know you gave these answers when I asked you. But should I tell these to Microsoft? So after all, he bought Blizzard. This is true. Everyone knows this, including me.
My second question is: It is not clear whether SC 3 will be released or not. Everyone here knows. The problem is: If SC 3 does not come out after 2025, will there really be a return to SC 2 and an update? Otherwise, it would be a little bad to make these games. So I’m not saying SC 2 is a bad game. If SC 3 is not released, will there be an update to SC 2?

Best regards, Eymen.
NOTE: I am not forcing you. I’m trying to get information from you.

1 Like

I’m not Blizzard but this is a technical support forum. The Blizzard tech guys don’t know anything you don’t know about development projects.

Former president Mike Ybarra commented about this between the time Microsoft acquired Blizzard and the time he left the company. That’s the only answer out there right now.

Ybarra said that on the heels of the acquisition he still intends to have big teams working on the largest franchises. But he is also open to less mainstream projects, including a possible return for StarCraft. Under Kotick, many Blizzard staff members with experience developing real-time strategy games left the company. So if the franchise does return, Ybarra hinted that the next iteration could be in a different genre altogether.

“It’s not me saying, ‘Go make a StarCraft game,’” Ybarra said. “I need to have someone who has the vision and passion that comes with the idea, and I’ll bet on that team.”

Yes eventually Microsoft will make SC3. Main reason being, the majority of the guys working at Microsoft now, they played SC1 & BW when they were coming up in the 90’s. As did many of us here on the forums.

They know SC2 is the best game out there, for a while now. It started E-sports as we know it, Twitch, streaming and so on and so on. It’s a legendary game. There’s a reason they bought Blizzard, SC3 will be made. Though I was hoping for a 2022 release date that did pass already.

2022 because it’s 12 years after 2010. Which 2010 was 12 years after 1998 when SC1 came out. Stormgate doesn’t look as good as SC2, it might be fun, but it’s not the same. SC3 already is set up to have the best story.

They can fix their questionable story of SC2. Just have the UED return from Earth to take everything over. And so on. Plenty of material and plenty of people that would play it.

Just because you’ve specifically asked a couple of times now:

Bud can’t you just let the guy keep the game alive. Although everyone else is being negative about it. Saying no development, they all left to make another game etc.

I’m being positive like the OP. You’re not realizing everyone at Microsoft played SC1 AND 2 themselves. Gates himself probably played SC1 at some point. There’s a reason they were bought. Maybe everyone can stop parroting the same negativity.

Everyone keeps saying no more development. Yet they brought back new maps finally in teams recently. Hopefully they keep doing that. The balance clowncil themselves, including the bad changes they made (all terran and zerg players, or protoss sell outs like harstem and rotti) proves development can still happen.

It’s not a matter of stifling a desire to keep a game alive, GlassToss.

In fact, I’d love to have Starcraft continue. But that’s not the OP’s purpose with this post. Secondly, absolutely nothing in my reply to the OP was hindering their attempts to keep the game alive. It was solely educating them on the forum guidelines.

And to clarify, map rotations and balanace changes are not development, and you are fully aware of that despite making statements like this. Everything that’s been changed since Oct 2020 has been done by the community. There can’t be development if there are no developers.

1 Like

Well, I’m glad you still post here. Since it seems like you pull some weight, kindly forward a request to Blizzard to add some new maps next season in teams please? Specifically for 4v4. 3v3 and 2v2 I’m sure want some new maps as well.

I would like to see the 3 maps I mentioned in other threads brought back. These are 4v4 maps: Sand Canyon, Megaton, Extinction. And there could be others that they think are appropriate.

Please kindly remove Hidden Caves, Primeval Wilds and Old Estate. Hidden Caves is too small and easy to rush/abuse new players. Primeval I’ve responded to in another thread, it’s not the best map it really gets abused with the high worker start count now.

Old Estate, I still can’t believe they brought this one back out of all others. I remember playing tons of games, years ago on Old Estate and frankly I’ve had enough games on it. Too many people abusing Skytoss on this map. I have those 3 vetoed this season anyway.

Unfortunately, I don’t have communication lines to anyone who could make those decisions. Bliz’s customer/technical support doesn’t liaise with those teams either.

ESL handles ladder maps with some help from TeamLiquid and the community; Blizzard just implements them, same as with balance changes and the annual world champion portrait Nicholas Chaussois does. ESL doesn’t have any investment in team maps so the TeamLiquid Map Contests no longer include them. At most earlier ones might be rotated in again.

1 Like

Ok it’s good to hear they will be doing another IEM Champion Portrait soon. Love those.

You’re not realizing everyone at Microsoft played SC1 AND 2 themselves. Gates himself probably played SC1 at some point.

GlassToss why people still talk like if Gate was still working at the microsoft? He left the studio almost 10 years ago and has nothing to do with it. It makes me wonder what is your iq because reading about ur text- it cant be much above 80.

About the main topic. They just released many blizzard and activision workers so its highly likely that the sc3 will not be released in next 15 years and if its going to be someday released its going to be like aoe re-release.

I didn’t know that, so I won’t use something like that again, sorry.

Let me just ask you this. Microsoft bought Blizz, right? Is SC 2 not being developed because SC 3 will be released? Or is it because you don’t have a developer? Please answer these questions fully now. My only goal is for SC 3 to be released or for you to develop SC 2. If I knew how to make software, I would want you to hire me.

The only two things known publically are 1) that ATVI decided they were done with SC2, and 2) and as part of that decision, the Starcraft 2 development team was eliminated. Meaning, ATVI was showing no interest in continuing the RTS aspect of the Starcraft franchise.

So, the reason why SC2 is not being developed anymore is because a corporate decision was made to end it. At the time, the decision had nothing to do with SC3 or a lack of developers.

Regarding the future, Microsoft or possibly ATVI are the ones who will decide what to do next. At this point, however, there’s been no public announcements of any plans.

Yes if you read my response, Microsoft will make SC3. That’s why they bought them. Better to get them away from Activision.

Just to manage the expectations of anyone who comes through here, there’s been no announcements or press releases that indicate MS is making or is going to make SC3.

That doesn’t mean they won’t ever, it just means there’s no credibility to the quoted statement above. Further, the $75 billion acquisition wasn’t just so that MS could make SC3.

I understand that SC 2 will never be developed. But you say SC 3 may emerge. If this happens, that is, if SC 3 comes out, I have the right to make suggestions to you, right?

Neither Leviathan nor anybody else who regularly posts here has any input at Blizzard. If and when they start to actively develop the game, they will likely make dedicated forums for it like they have done with every other game they made. Beyond that, creators will very frequently actively ignore and filter out fan suggestions unless they are explicitly asking for feedback on something, in order to protect themselves against frivolous lawsuits from people claiming that the product used “their” ideas so they are owed money.

1 Like

Essentially what Kelthar said.

Unless SC3 is in production, no one at Bliz is going to be watching for community suggestions, comments, etc. Plus, there is currently no where to post for SC3.

In addition to the game being out of development, there aren’t even dedicated SC2 CMs anymore so there is likely very little attention being paid to the community suggestions, comments, etc here either.

1 Like

No microsoft did not buy actv/blizzard just to make sc3, or for the sc2 game. If they bought it for any game in particular its COD, and maybe overwatch. But other than that it was solely to make money, not so that they could develop a game.