The dislike feature on the forums should "not" have been removed

The dislike feature on the forums was a way to:

1.) Gauge how much the community liked or disliked the same idea. “Likes” only play a partial part in understanding the community. Its the “dislikes” that could also play a big decision in where the community stands on certain issues.

2.) Good way to feel like you’re contributing when “disliking” posts that are horribly made.

3.) Help the community as a whole see posts that are vastly poor.

4.) many more reasons…

The function should have been kept.

42 Likes

Totally agree with this. With this idiotic change there is no way of understanding if a post is ignored or simply has 90% of the community up in arms.

7 Likes

if only there was a down-vote option :exploding_head:

4 Likes

You bring up good positives about the dislike feature. However, I am glad it is gone for several reasons:

1. It reinforced and promoted tribalism in the forums - Terrans up voting each other and down voting Protoss/Zergs, Protoss/Zergs up voting each other and down voting Terrans

2. Petty downvotes - Just because someone disliked you, they blindly down voted anything you posted

3. Anonymity - The anonymity for likes and dislikes meant that people did it reflexively without much thought. With likes being visible then you know for sure that the person actually took the time to read your post.

14 Likes

Anonymity - The lack of anonymity for likes and dislikes meant that people did it reflexively without much thought. With likes being visible then you know for sure that the person actually took the time to read your post.

You have it up-side-down…
Than why not make visible both the likes and dislikes? Personaly i don’t have problems to make public both ends…
Anononymity is for cowards that are ashamed to defend their convictions openly.

5 Likes

In theory, I would be fine with both likes and dislikes being visible. However, we know in practice that it will just worsen drama and toxicity to new heights. Having likes be visible is a good middle ground IMO.

I doubt that removing dislikes will decrease the toxicity. I will not treat TCF differently just because they can’t downvote me and i can’t return the favor.

1 Like

It won’t remove it completely, that much is certain. I still think the toxicity will remain in some form. However, it will likely decrease it generally speaking regardless IMO.

The dislike feature was a brigading mechanic and nothing else.

The dislike feature was only being used as a means to vote down any view that didn’t fall in line with a person’s view as opposed the actual content as the were well written posts that would be down voted purely because the person isn’t following a narrative.

1 Like

I preferred the old system with anonymous liking and disliking greatly.

2 Likes

It was to the point that people would auto-downvote someone by name, and/or would auto-downvote a post if they saw it was already being downvoted. The content of the post mattered little if at all. You could have posts that were entirely logically & factually correct and that were posted in an acceptable demeanor yet that would be obliterated in down-votes, meanwhile the converse would occur as well: pure vitriol being up-voted despite its (lack of) merit. Hopefully with the new system people take more care with their up-votes since they are putting their name on the comment. This makes it easier to identify trolling & brigading. I know there were some posters who weren’t brave enough to say mean things but who would upvote and encourage those who do and social dynamics like this (brigading & gaslighting) will be greatly impeded by the new system.

2 Likes

The only people ive seen who get automatically downvoted to any significant degree are trolls like Gooba and people who are so completely incorrect that they literally cant say anything useful, like that guy in the coop forums who claims he cant beat the missions on casual. Even folks like tEhbAtz who have antagonized enough people to earn that kind of treatment don’t get it except when they actively say legitimately dumb things.

5 Likes

And what’s wrong with retaining the downvote but making it public (like the “like” now)?
I agree with BatZ that having your name/credibility on the line for all to see will make brigading & gaslighting less frequent.
I am not speaking about hypocritical pompous dirtbags like Kelthar that at least have the decency to insult openly, but timid people that just hide behind anonymity.

Like and Dislike are the two faces of the same coin (evaluation), it’s stupid to retain one and suppress the other.
That’s ammounts to removing all negative numbers in mathematics…

5 Likes

Also, am I just not able to find it among the millions of unnecessary buttons, or do we not have an ignore feature anymore?

1 Like

i like 2 not have downvote becuse all my post get downvote from the haterz

u r proberly a hater and just want 2 put other poster down

MrDinkers: are you Mr. Wup? From your way of expressing yourself it seams so. How on earth you can do a poll about Trump?

1. Strongly agree with the bigmouth.
  2. Totally agree with the bigmouth.
  3. Agree with the bigmouth.

Oooooops, you left-out 60% of the USA population and if the Poll would be of planetary-scale you removed 95% of the world…

2 Likes

From my experience at Heroes of the Storm forum, clique upvote every single of their members’ post (usually low quality).

So, I don’t think the removal of dislike would make a difference at everywhere.

4 Likes

While I would like to agree with the settlement that the dislike feature of the olden day forums should still exist, I have to disagree.

The reason being that it is that I have to disagree is that I need to get 20,000 postal counts, and if I was to do that with the dislike feature in play, I assure you I would accumulate enough dislikes to have my profile banished from the forums forever and ever.

I ageee that removing dislikes is not going to be perfect, there will be some problems, but it sure beats the multitude of problems that having dislikes created without the blandness of having neither likes or dislikes.