The Commander After Stetmann

Broodmother? You mean Niadra?

Kerri mentions a lot of Broodmothers during her campaign, but the only ones that actually show up in missions are Niadra and Zagara, so I would guess yeah, Niadra.

3 Likes

Could be any of them really. Guess the most famous one is Niadra. But there’s Kilysa that specializes in Leviathans (possible air commander zerg). Ryloth that has a large brood and is a master tactician (possible micro based zerg). Naktul that seems to have a lot of greater nydus worms (possible burrow/ambush tactic zerg). They could even just make up one since there seem to be a lot of broodmothers made by Kerrigan.

2 Likes

I feel like Niadra has the coolest story left to most people. She was given a mission and never heard again. I don’t know what canon had written but Coop isn’t canon anyway. So to me, the team can really expand their creativity the most with Niadra.

4 Likes

I still really want a Niadra using infested Protoss tech. I know it’s not what she does according to comic cannon or something, but it’s an interesting idea to work with.

3 Likes

Well, Blizzard said in a interview that Aldaris and DuGalle can become commanders.

2 Likes

They could also have him back to using Creep/Sunken/Spore Colonies.

1 Like

What about Stukov when he was with the Earth forces? That could be a potential Terran commander.

1 Like

Doubt it. I don’t think they’re interested in having two different versions of the same character be separate commanders. If we get a proper UED commander, it’ll probably be DuGalle. Supposedly, he was mentioned in an interview.

5 Likes

Many ideas: Reigel, Selendis, Tosh, Valerian, maybe some off-chance of Commander variants…

2 Likes

Donny Vermillion

Why? Why not?

How? He is a terran based, his command center is a UNN field base, his crew is there to record everything happening, so he need some security units, he got some heroic units, that don’t have basic attack, like Terry (the seismologist) but can use some cool skills.

2 Likes

While I like Donny Verimillion; He is a joke pick is why not. He has no army, no abilities to worth using. He has no expertise in any sense. I don’t even think he was ever a War Corespondent.

With someone like Ariel Hanson however; She has been in the field. She seen Zerg and Protoss far closer than most civilians have. She also would likely have the full support of the Haven militia. If she made the call to join Raynor in fighting Amon; they likely join her. They’d bring whatever they could get their hands on to fight. She would make a far more interesting Terran Commander.

2 Likes

Someone made really cool Ariel Hansen concept in the old forums. They even made it work in game,and had video of it. It used all the colony buildings, and you could recruit civilians that would throw Molotov cocktails. Ariel Hansen honestly seems like a really cool concept for a commander. She’s one of my picks, though Tosh, and Valarian are up there too. I want to see the Predator, Specter, warhound, Loki, and the non-infested Diamond back. Give me the Valkyrie. I loved the Valkyries in SC1 and Liberators do not suffice. None of that transforming stuff, just pure mass rocket aoe air superiority.

For Protoss, I want Selendis, and Rohana. There’s also the Protoss heros from the Zeratul missions in Wings of Liberty that can be used for call downs. And there’s the giant Zealot statues that could be call downs, and all the different mothership abilities that were in the beta.

For Zerg, I don’t have much preference. I just want every unused Zerg unit playable. Give me defilers, non-mecha infesters, Omegalysks, whatever zerg things are in the files that never made it out of beta/alpha that I only see used in arcade games.

4 Likes

For Terran; I want Tosh the most.

For Protoss; I want Rohana (using units from each of the 4 Protoss factions). (Seriously, I want Tal’darim Zealots, Templar Preservers, Nerazim Adepts, and Purifier High Templar/Archons).

For Zerg; I want Izsha. (using Drop Pod focused abilities like Raynor or Artanis).

3 Likes

Found the video of the Ariel Hanson concept.

Hopefully the new forums don’t eat the link.

I like the idea of using civilians as infantry, but I think they should have given her troopers or some kind of basic marine like units, just to represent security/militia forces that would be present in the colony.

4 Likes

I would add Troopers from the Nova Covert Ops DLC for Hanson.

1 Like

Honestly? I’d love to see Narud/Duran. Say that this is an alternate take on the character that decided to turn against Amon, using his remaining resources to fight his former master for freedom - very much an ‘enemy of my enemy’ kind of deal.

It’d be a really fun way to give players access to hybrid and possibly Void Thrashers as calldowns, personally I’d love to see him somewhat in the vein of Stukov, using basic units of all 3 races to support devastatingly powerful Hybrid units, and maybe occasionally unleashing his full Xel’Naga might as a calldown. Imagine what that big red hybrid could do with commander upgrades giving it lifesteal, or that green Yamato casting guy could do with an energy regen aura!

I realize he’s a very unlikely commander of course, I just feel like it’d be a really cool and unique option, and IIRC in an interview around a year ago the dev interviewed said that they really liked the idea of doing Narud at some point, just didn’t have anything planned for him yet. So I don’t think he’s impossible, just… very unlikely, especially with how Blizz is doing these days.

In terms of more realistic commander options, I’d personally LOVE to see Valerian rocking Umojan tech and superpowered Dominion cattlebruisers - ideally Gorgons, maybe as calldowns rather than permanent summons, like they did in Nova: Covert Ops. Maybe even reuse Mengsk’s elite guard from late HotS and make them ACTUALLY elite rather than just renamed and reskinned versions of the normal unit, with special upgrades and abilities. Have a bit of a support bent, 'cuz Valerian, but still a very solid and beefy military presence, possibly limited by limited lifespans before they fall back. So sorta like Nova (elite, tanky units) with more macro to build up/track charges, and he can’t just push endlessly, has to take time to recoup charges between fights.

This is right back in the ‘unlikely’ bin, but Warfield is absolutely one of my favorite characters, and IMO one of the few actually good ones, in the SC2 dumpster fire of a story. I’d LOVE to play as him - a combination of powerful siege and ultra beefy but slow units grinding their foes to dust in relentless but expensive campaigns. Give me upgraded Planetary Fortresses to hold the line, nuke and (maybe…) Gorgon calldowns to pulverize emplacements, and a mixture of Warhounds, tanks, and marines to brawl it out.

Finally, Tosh would also be a sight for sore eyes; I’d LOVE to see him as a counterpart to Nova - some similarities (stealthy hero) but use a lot more disposable units and focus on macro while still having a small but elite force of Spectres, maybe juiced up by a Terrazine collection minigame? Clearing out bases or something like that instead of Zeratul’s minigame. Have his whole army be lethally fast and deadly as hell, insane DPS for their cost, but very squishy in turn, and nothing like Nova’s defense drone - he SHOULD be taking some losses to keep him in check, otherwise he’d be overpowered as hell. Having a good mix of Reapers (with different abilities than H&H’s) and fast moving mech (Diamondbacks and Cyclones in particular) to give him a variety of options. Mixture of macro and micro commander, I’d like to see him be pretty difficult to play well and never be very good at trading vs emplacements, but offering devastating offense in good hands.

Protoss wise, I just want to see Jinara with the death fleet. Sod off Alarak, let me build Destroyers and a super roided out mothership and amove them through enemy bases without waiting for your dumb cooldown. Rohana with elite ancient Protoss units could be cool too. I don’t really care about Selendis, every existing Protoss commander already has at least one amazing air build so I’m not really convinced we need an air-only Protoss lady.

4 Likes

I’ve seen the Ariel Hanson concept, the best part of it is there is a video. Thematically, I find it clash with current commanders.

If she were to become one for coop, I’d find a hard time understanding how a bunch of civilians throwing molotovs rival highly geared militia, highly evolved Zerg, and highly tech’d Protoss.

The one plot I can see it working maybe that because she is good at this infection reversal, she found a super human serum. That’s still a bit of stretch since her intention was to save people and not further turn them into super soldiers. And if we take the alternate plot line where she failed, this makes sense but with the drawback she has to become a second redundant infested commander.

Overall, it’s not that I’m against her appearance. I just think if we go the route the video shows, then the direction of possible commander becomes pretty much anything. Making money wise it’s great for them but overall theme is lost.

I’ve said the same damn thing for years now, and while I’ve been surprised, they have still yet to give me my beloved Rohana.

If she were to become one for coop, I’d find a hard time understanding how a bunch of civilians throwing molotovs rival highly geared militia, highly evolved Zerg, and highly tech’d Protoss.

That is just a concept video and civilians just one her many features. She is a brilliant scientist, who could act as a support commander. She can have medivacs, could even have a healing calldown, something like Abathur’s mend but maybe with different visuals. I think she deserved to be a commander more than Stetman whom I find goofy. She could have a variety of units like any Terran commander, the civ compound would only be a feature not her whole army, but it could also work like Stukov’s one deploying free civs over time, first wave only melee, the next ones with molotov, etc.

3 Likes