[Suggestion] Medivac ability: Decontaminate

This is something that kind of harkens back to Brood War a little bit (Restoration) but potentially with some niche uses. In terms of lore it would be an attempt for specially-equipped Medivacs to help clear up Zerg infestation. As an ability, it would work as follows:

• Costs 50 energy
  • Within a 2-unit radius of the Medivac, all creep and some harmful abilities are dissipated (Neural Parasite, Graviton Beam, Stasis and Time Warp are not affected), both area-of-effect and per-unit.
  • The following afflictions are cleared from units within range: Fungal Growth, Parasitic Bomb, Revelation, Interference Matrix, Anti-Armor Missile, Contamination.
  • The following area-of-effect abilities are cleared if the epicenter is in range: Microbial Shroud, Blinding Cloud, creep.

I’m still thinking about it and whether it’s a good idea, especially as most of the afflictions it affects are Zerg. Sorry if this isn’t as well-developed as I’d like it to be. Given it would be very useful to clear away Revelation and Microbial Shroud (if it’s changed to be like Dark Swarm, since that would drastically affect bio), it might need to be a Tech Lab upgrade at 200m 200g. It can also be used to dump energy from the Medivac, but being more late-game means it can’t be used to replace stimming.

4 Likes

That sounds really really cool, but what exactly would clearing creep in a 2 unit radius do? Wouldn’t the tumor just regenerate it?

Yes, an existing Creep Tumor would regenerate it. It’s more to quickly clear creep that’s remaining after tumors, a Nydus Worm or an Overlord have been destroyed.

I like the suggestion sounds interesting. +1

There are still some things I’m thinking about, since it can be used to clear Revelation - it may make long-range Liberator fortifications much more difficult to break if Revelation can be instantly cleared - saying that, if the effective range of Decontaminate is smaller than Revelation, then it may be okay as you’ll have to spend energy from multiple Medivacs (or use the same one multiple times) and simply use another Oracle to cast Revelation again.

Idea first, then I start thinking of ramifications. On the flip side, it means the ability does have a use against Protoss despite the limited number of afflictions it can remove.

I have yet to see you not like a terran buff. I guess if Crane had proposed the same ability for WP you would be up on arms protesting.

A spell never used once in BW and it will likely never be used in sc2 either.

Nah.

The difference here is that it’s AoE.

It was used to clear Blinds, which was a Terran spell from the same unit, ironically.

2 Likes

Not true at all. I am one of the biggest supporters of Tactical Jump being removed/nerfed more.

Unless buffs are spread to the three races, i don’t see the need to buff unilateraly only terrans. it will ruin the balance even more.

1 Like

Agreed. It was more of a preliminary idea and would otherwise be a bio-based counter to my reworked Microbial Shroud over here (in the mod, Zerg get a Dark Swarm-like Microbial Shroud, Protoss get some Carrier micro potential and Terran can… build Vikings at the Factory… so Decontaminate would make a nice ability to round everything off):

Maybe you can consider narrowing the gap between the paper-DPS and real-world-DPS of Adept/Tempest.
Without altering the paper-DPS that even now is pathetic:

• Plasma-Bolts of both units can survive and hit with the remaining damage the nearest enemy unit in a Range 1.5-2.

How it works:
A Tempest attacks with 40 damage 2 marines of 45HP. First hit causes 40 damage, second hit kills the first marine of 5HP and the remaining Bolt (40-5=35damage) hits the second marine.

Thus the real-DPS would approach the paper-DPS.
Same thing can be applied to Yamoto.

Removing TJ would be a bad call. It should spawn on cooldown, and share a cooldown with Yamato Gun, so the BC player will have to decide which one to use.
This would also be fair, since the BC no longer has Energy, so it should not be able to just Jump out of the Starport, nor should it be able to Jump + Yamato.

So, 10 Tempest (50 supply) attack 25 vikings (50 supply), dealing 300 DMG, killing 2 vikings and damaging third. 25 vikings attack back, dealing 500 DMG, killing one and losing the rest of dmg to overkill.

Tempest are meant to lose dps. They are not army unit. Same as liberator, their dmg is not meant to affect fight but force enemy to do something. In case of lib its walk around its field, in case of tempest its attacking into you. They cant be able to fight vs their counters like you propose, because it would be queen like unit. Good at everything with massive range.

You want to give the medivac the ability to negate vipers and clear the already niche contaminate plays?

Lol no. Not a chance.

Dude stop, you’re so grotesquely biased nobody listens to you.

I also like how you assumed the Vikings did overkill but the tempests smart fired somehow LOL.

3 Likes

Don’t waste the time with somebody that maintains with a straight face:

Maybe we can use Tempests for mining mineral? With this approach it is meaningless to engage somebody in a normal discussion.
A lot of people recognize that Tempests need some help. Some proposed the hit-scan approach, it’s OK because even hit-scan tends to reduce the DPS loss.

3 Likes

Myohmind has competition! Let the modding games begin!

I’m thinking that the energy cost should be increased to 75 and the research moved to the Fusion Core (since the Starport Tech Lab is reserved for units that require the Tech Lab now, it seems), so if you use the ability to clear something like Parasitic Bomb or Revelation, it really hurts the Medivac’s healing potential afterwards, so you can’t just spam it.

I’m still in the proposal stage, not saying “this is the next big thing - you are a fool to not accept it!”. If it proves to be an absolutely terrible idea, then of course it won’t progress from there.