Starcraft II "An unexpected fatal error has occured." on startup, with black screen and rotating circle cursor

I opened the blizzard app as usual. I pressed play for Starcrat II. It opened to a black screen with the cursor being the rotating circle only version. Then it closed and gave me a “An unexpected fatal error has occured.” report, with the report ID D415B073-9238-48E2-81D6-37BEC8287626.

I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Restarting the computer. Restarting the blizzard app. Have retried opening the game a number of times that I wasn’t exactly counting, but it is alot. I tried making a new admin account and starting it on that. I checked my OS and stuff and I am running Windows 8.1 with Intel HD 5500. I have tried it both without and with other tabs open in the background.

None of these things have worked.

Also, the report ID is only the latest one. I don’t remember any of the earlier ones.

So, any suggestions?

Edit: Actually, considering report ID seems to always be different, perhaps it isn’t the most useful thing to know.

Hey Perceiver,

Looking at the crash logs from our end it seems like this could be a graphics driver issue. I’d recommend to try updating your Intel HD Graphics drivers to the latest version here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29313/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-

If those drivers don’t work or you get an error when installing them you may need to visit your laptop’s support page on the manufacturer’s website and get the latest Intel display drivers from there.

You can also try resetting the game settings through the Battle.net app and that will force the game to re-detect your resolution and graphics device.

Hope that helps!

Neither of those worked. My drivers are already up to date, and resetting didn’t work either.

Hey Perceiver,

It looks like you are getting a C0000005 error. These errors often happen due to background programs like security software that may be blocking the game. If you have any antivirus programs, I’d suggest adding SC2 as an exception or temporarily uninstalling them to test the game. You can always reinstall the antivirus again once this is resolved.

I don’t have any antivirus active, all of them are expired or turned off or inactive for some other reason. Have been since I got the laptop a few months ago.

Howdy!

Some features are still active even if the security software’s subscription is expired or set to “Disabled” mode. I would recommend try uninstalling the software if it’s expired.

As for other troubleshooting I would recommend to update your Intel HD 5500 drivers Here. If you run into errors installing the win64_15.40.44.5107.exe you can try downloading the win64_15.40.44.5107.zip then installing the latest driver following the steps Here.

I would also mix these steps with the following steps:

1. Place the system into Selective Startup and restart the PC to ensure all background applications are closed.

2. Reset the game’s settings to default.

Retest once the drivers have been updated, background applications disabled and game settings reset. If the issue still occurs try placing the game in Windowed mode following the StarCraft II drop-down steps Here.

If the issue continues I would recommend collecting a new Dxdiag and Msinfo then contact our support team Here.

Thank you!