StarCraft II 5.0.9 PTR Patch Notes

I mean - you keep bringing up this outdated TL post which clearly states it does not include IEM Katowice (the most important tournament of the year, and also the most recent one…), where 11 terrans made the round of 24, and Terrans had a 58.5% winrate vs protoss.

3 of the final 8 were Terrans, and 0 were toss. With all due respect - I think your TvP struggles might not be due to balance my guy.

https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/index.php?title=IEM_Katowice/2022&section=18#Distribution (IEM Katowice - Distribution and Stats)

1 Like

Why nerf ghost st that cost? If u nerf snipe halve its gas cost… Or u mean nerf emp range? I dont might slight range nerf on the upgrade that buffs it but if too small advantage might not upgrade at all

1 Like

according to Harstem, there is a large closed player group that deliberated these changes. I am unsure if it consists of purely pro gamers, a mix of community figures and pros, or just a bunch of active players at random. I would bet each of the players who deliberated these changes have more games than you (and much more than 0!).

2 Likes

Wrote this all out - applies here as well. Hope these changes are NOT final and they go back to the drawing board.

A step in the right direction I believe. We will see how this plays out.

I think they’re doing things a bit at a time. Most of the changes listed here seem to be to address cheese play, with the exception of the Lurker (the Nydus Worm creep change is to allow Queens to be able to transfuse the Nydus Worm the instant they pop out). Ghosts aren’t really a cheese unit (although there’s some nice 1-base Marine/Ghost All-Ins for TvP).

I hope some late-game PTR patches will come later, and I sense Ghosts may require a bit more thought. I have my own suggestion where PvT is concerned ([Suggestion] Protoss late-game (Templar + Tempest)) - ZvT I’m not completely sure about, although an overall reduction in casting range for EMP might be a thought, but I’m guessing the problem is that they can counter all Hive-tech units too easily with Steady Targetting.

3 Likes

I gotta be honest, I really don’t think that ghosts are a problem. I’m not saying that because I am a terran either - Ghosts are already difficult to use. Snipe takes a full 1.43 seconds to cast, which is plenty of time to cancel the ability. At best they’re a soft counter to zerg units, and trying to snipe while also dealing with everything else a terran - particularly a bio terran - has to do is hard enough already, even for pro players.

Also it’s important to keep in mind that the game is not a game of unit tier beats unit of lower tier - ghosts are supposed to counter broods and ultras well. And even lurkers to some extent. But they suck against more traditional ling bane. Developing your army composition around what your opponent’s composition is, is important in a game like starcraft.

EMP may need to have its radius reverted, but even that is questionable. Anything more than that would be overkill.

4 Likes

I almost think going back to the original Brood Lord/Infestor composition might be an answer here. If a Ghost is launching EMP at your Infestors, it’s not using Steady Targetting. At the same time, if an Infestor successfully lands Fungal Growth on a Ghost, it cancels Steady Targetting (and reveals them if you haven’t got a Detector). If you managed to Neural Parasite one… well… if it doesn’t immediately die, cast EMP on the other Ghosts!

In this case, I agree with you that Ghosts might be okay, but maybe to look at units that counter them or duel with them (e.g. High Templars).

1 Like

As far as infestors go, I dont think there is an issue with them per-se, but I can definitely see an argument being made for returning the Feedback damage to its original 1 point per energy, though I think that should be after an upgrade, rather than from base. If I recall, you made a suggestion like that in your thread, did you not?

IMO something like that would solve a lot of the issues protoss has against vipers in particular, but also other spell-casters as well - such as ghosts, since feedback is an instant cast. EMP is actually a (fast moving) projectile as well, which means that there is still the possibility of getting feedback off even after EMP has been cast. The timing is tight however.

1 Like

I have made a few suggestions over the years, and even made extension mods for them to be tested out - I put a load of the Protoss ones together here: [Extension Mod] All the Protoss upgrades!, although it’s not meant to be a final recommendation per se, especially as the other races don’t get anything (and the cost of Twilight Focus, the Feedback upgrade, is less than what I suggested).

But yes, my suggestion was for a Templar Archives upgrade (that I’ve named “Twilight Focus” and given a picture for in the above extension mod) that restores Feedback damage back to 1 HP/energy.

(I’m not sure about my Fleet Beacon upgrades these days in that extension mod, just to note! If I had to give something to the Oracle now, it would be an upgrade that increases the duration of Revelation… that way it rewards you for keeping your early-game Oracles alive)

That Teamliquid post includes the 2022 Katowice results, what are you talking about? Including the 2022 Katowice results, Protoss performed better than Terran in Premier tournaments over the last year, according to that Teamliquid post.

Community members? Do you guys even chat with the Sc2 Mapster community? I’ve been extracting a tons of bugs related to the editor and this is being ignored until what… Microsoft takes over and hires staff?

1 Like

Community members means professional 1v1 players.

So what ?
Protoss is the easiest race in the game and Zest won the GSL tournament before IEM
BabycryingToss cant win all the Premier Tournament with Carriers and DT lol …

Glad to see Blizzard is fixing a 2 year old blatant issu a gold league noob would have never implemented in the game

Lurkers and DT with blink are also broken since decades

3 Likes

ghost are “anti-caster” did not know that ultra/ brood/ lurker are caster…
if ht has no energy two options wait or archon. Infestor no energy useless. viper back and recharge energy.
Ghost? don’t care fight unit with 6+ range vs ground/ air …
A typical terran unit.

Not even a patch.

How are people talking about this…

sees that these people literally think the ghost is a viable unit

oh that’s why.

1 Like

Protoss is the easiest race in the game and Zest won the GSL tournament before IEM

True. Protoss is still by far the easiest, most abusive race.

3 Likes

They were originally conceived to be anti-casters, yes. But with the advent of LotV, their design was specifically changed to deal with units like the ultra and the broodlord. This was back when the ultra had 8 armour and marauders had the split attack, which meant bio-terrans had literally no good way of dealing with the ultralisk. Snipe specifically was redesigned for it into steady-targeting, partially because snipe was quite literally a useless ability, and partially for the previously mentioned reason.

Units got redesigned during LotV’s lifespan. The swarm-host was another unit that got redesigned. The Raven also got a redesign too. The disruptor underwent several completely different iterations before they settled on its current one.

Vipers don’t care if they get EMP’d or Feedback. HTs become a powerful massive unit. Ghosts get an auto attack that’s frankly quite rubbish for its mineral/gas cost. Without one (and logically speaking not having one doesn’t make sense), the ghost is quite literally dead-weight - which before you say “but so is the infestor” Zerg has the ability to reproduce units at a rapid rate, and the best vision+mobility in the game with creep. If the terran takes a fight and has no energy, without an auto attack it’s worse than useless. With an auto-attack it’s still manages to be worse than pretty much every other bio unit other than a reaper. And it’s a very standard range AA, considering marauders, stalkers and hydras all have 6 range, and many, many units outrange its standard AA.

1 Like

Very happy there is actually a patch. Even if it’s not really a big patch, it’s kind of the rebirth of SC2 !

1 Like

The Ghost is a dead unit, just like the Raven. It has no utility, other than GM gameplay far beyond the 10 min mark. It is ridicolously overpriced at 125 Gas, has a pathetic attack, basically no HP and the worst is, it has no means of retreat, other than a medvac. 2! Ghosts cost the same amount of Gas as a CARRIER! A CARRIER!!! A CARRIER!! Do you understand ?? I am baffled how anybody can consider the ghost relevant, it must be bait, right? This unit needs to be reworked ASAP. Reduce the price, DOUBLE the damage, INSTANT SNIPES + give it some form of retreat option like EVERY protoss unit has (ShadowStride,Blink,Recall etc.) Even after that buff, it would still be worse than HT or Viper, but at least useable.