Starcraft 2 Crash to Desktop

Title. The issue started a while ago, but since I had other things to worry about it kind of took back burner. But now its just getting annoying; for whatever reason, every time I call up the game, it’ll CTD for no apparent reason and no popup error code after about 5 minutes of sitting inside the game. It doesn’t matter if its Campaign, Co-op, or versus tab. It doesn’t matter if I’m in a match or not, campaign or co-op. It’ll CTD roughly five minutes after launch. This very clearly isn’t a crash on launch caused by One-Drive (I never even logged in with a One-Drive account back when I got this computer almost a year ago, so there’s no possible way that One-Drive is suddenly trying to sync my Documents folder with no account in use).

My dxdiag: https://pastebin.com/WTfQGW8K

Not entirely sure what’s causing this issue right now. I’ve done a scan and repair, Battle.net came back with no errors. I guess my next step is to delete the cache, but I’m not overly hopeful that’s going to actually fix anything. I’m not having issues with the login module, just a consistant crash to desktop. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, I’m all eyes.

Thanks.

EDIT: Updated my display drivers. No fix. Deleting cache, no fix. Resetting in-game preferences, no fix. Forcing the game into window mode also failed to fix it, but it did give me an actual error box with the code: 7908C608-3226-433F-8A86-5D6E2C5F1C81. Not entirely sure what that points to, but I guess at this point my last recourse is to reinstall the game and hope that does something useful.

EDIT 2: Reinstalling did absolutely nothing. After reinstall failed to fix the issue, I also tried disabling full screen optimizations and compatibility mode for Windows 7. Compatibility mode worked for a spell, but ultimately all it did was make the CTD not happen for around 10 minutes instead of 5. Running out of options here, am I just boned?

i figured it out. starcraft 2 gets blocked by data execution prevention. there is several error messages related to that in your dxdiag. to fix it, go to system, advanced system settings and performance(the top option). then select the option on the right. then you get 2 options: either turning it on for all software except what you select or turning it on for absolutely neccesary software. if it is already set on absolutely neccesary software, then turn it on for all software and add starcraft 2 to the list.

Hey Sunrider,

Thanks for the details on what has been done so far. I looked over the crash log from the code you included and it looks like it could be a rendering/memory issue. Since it’s happening a few minutes after the game has opened that could indicate some kind of memory issue, or perhaps another program interfering with the game client.

I have a few other ideas for you to try.

1. If you’re using any overlays try disabling them. Discord overlay, Windows game bar, Nvidia in-game overlay, etc.
  2. Check for overheating to make sure the CPU and GPU are not overheating after ~5 minutes of playing
  3. Try rebooting using Selective Startup, which will help determine if it’s another program running in the background that’s causing it.

Press Windows Key+R.
Type msconfig and press Enter.
Select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.
Select the Services tab.
Check Hide all Microsoft services.
Note: Skipping this step may prevent your computer from rebooting correctly.
Click Disable all.
Click Apply then click OK.
Click Restart.

I appreciate the reply. However, shortly before you posted I discovered the issue on my own: There were several updates for my computer that I had never told my computer to download. There was a few, including a Feature Update and some smaller non-essential updates. After installing all updates the problem seems to have finally been resolved. My guess is that not having one of those updates was doing something wonky with my memory while the game was running, causing DEP to terminate Starcraft 2 under the assumption the game was a security threat. Still though, I went ahead and took your solution and made sure to turn on DEP only for essential software, on the off chance this decides to return or if not having an update causes this to happen in the future.

Thanks.

Cannot play co-op missions or campaign without the game crashing to the desktop.
Checking for hidden non-essential updates on the computer almost-sort-of helped and allowed me to play the first campaign mission of Wings of Liberty on easy right up to destroying the headquarters before crashing.
Every time I try playing the co-op missions though the game gets 75% loaded and then crashes. We already followed all recommended fixes above (plus every other one we could find).
The game only gave us an error code twice in over 50 times of crashing. (The first error we got before finding the hidden computer updates, the second happened right after crashing while playing the campaign, but none have shown up since and its crashed 5 more times since then. The second one was sent to Blizzard as a report.)
1st: Blizzard Error.exe 0xc000012d
2nd: A8B81271-F761-424D-811E-16B69A9C72FD

Edit: Just tried the same mission again and it crashed in the same spot again.
Error code/report to blizzard:
79CFA1BE-24C7-4C06-8003-9B00064BDD7E