SC2 LotV freezing/fps drops from 60 to 9

So I just started playing Legacy of the Void for the first time and it seems like after about 2 minutes of being in game (prologue mission) I get sudden fps drops from 60 to 9 and from 9 to 60 every 2 seconds or so. It’s like the game freezes for a second and then the next 2 seconds works fine then it freezes for another second and so on. Vsync is on.

WoL and HotS both worked perfectly fine on my laptop before (I played WoL about 2 years ago and HotS a couple of months ago) and never had this issue with them. At times the game did drop fps in those two campaigns (from 60 to like 39-40 for example, depending on the map too and the number of units) but overall in 98% of the time it worked perfectly fine. However, with LotV it’s a whole different story, game is pretty much unplayable. Not sure if LotV is more demanding CPU wise than WoL/HotS. Is it?

My specs are:

• Intel i5-7300HQ
  • GTX 1050 4GB
  • 8GB Ram.

Also, one thing I noticed is that the mouse scrolling isn’t as smooth as it should be, it’s like it has a slight delay, which I don’t know whether it’s related or not, during the first 2-5 minutes as I said the game works fine and the frames stay at 60. It’s when Kerrigan attacks the terran bases that the framerates start to drop and the intermittent freezing starts.

the scrolling issue is caused by your cpu being too weak. i experienced the same on my i7-7700HQ which is stronger. you could reduce settings however which should help with that. you should also upgrade the ram if possible. starcraft 2 is very ram heavy. legacy of the void`s requirements is higher than wings of liberty and heart of the swarm but, they also made starcraft 2 more demanding starting in version 4. the thing about the game freezing looks like it is caused by energy efficient ethernet which you can turn off in your windows control panel. i had the same problem with that myself.

Hey ShyFX,

Is this what you’re seeing?

I posted this in the Bug Report forum:

1 Like

Hello Levathian, yes it’s exactly what happens to me as well. Is it just during the prologue mission?

Yep. Only that one spot in that one mission.

1 Like

then you should report it as a bug.

That’s where my report currently is. Thanks!

ShyFX, if you could add yourself to that thread, it will provide another report of the issue for the QA team.