Random freezes for a few seconds

Every match I play, the game will randomly freeze for 4-5 seconds every few minutes. This freeze will almost always happen especially when I get attacked or attack, or a new enemy unit appears on screen, making micro nearly impossible because my army will already be mostly destroyed by the time it unfreezes, which also means the game still moves while my inputs and display freeze.

I’ve never experienced this with any other game before (except Warcraft games, also by Blizzard), which makes sense, as I am running off of an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, have 16GB of RAM, and an Intel Core i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz. And despite what a lot of people suggest, I know the issue isn’t with my network itself, as I’ve had this issue on several networks I’ve tested, and my friends that are connected to the exact same network I am have never had this issue.

I’ve almost stopped playing the game entirely because this issue is just too frustrating for my play experience. Any help to fix this soon would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Hey, flubbrmonkey! Thanks for the details here! We’re not aware of any issues with game freezing in StarCraft II at this moment. This sounds like there may be application hangs happening on occasion causing the freezes. Could you gather a DxDiag file for us to check for application hangs and any clues to whats causing the random freezes? Copy and paste the text file created and paste it between two ~~~ like so:

~~~
DxDiag Here
~~~

If you have issues pasting here, use Pastebin and post the end of the link. (ie. 123456 for pastebin.com/123456)

i experienced the same thing myself. in my case it was caused by energy efficient ethernet. that is a power saving solution that is enabled by default in windows.

1 Like

Here’s the DxDiag:

9DRr5FKF

that is not a link…

Thanks, flubbrmonkey! The files helped a bit, but there wasn’t any direct information on what’s causing the freezes with StarCraft II. There were a few things that caught my attention that can help improve the performance and the freezing within StarCraft II.

• Set the Power Management Settings to High Performance. We can see that it appears to be set to Balanced currently.

Current Setting: {651288E5-A7ED-4076-A96B-6CC62D848FE1} (Balanced)

• Make sure the Nvidia card is being used.
    1. Right Click on your Desktop, then find Nvidia Control Panel.
    2. Manage 3D Settings
    3. Under Global Settings, switch the Preferred graphics processor, as “High Performance Nvidia processor.”
    4. Click OK and done!
  • Always make sure when gaming to plug in the laptop.
  • There were some windows telemetry errors. Try seeing if the game freezes while on a New Admin account. This resets the user profile, including settings and features tied with the profile. This won’t affect the main account.
  • Force update Windows 10. The system is currently on Version 1809 (Build 17763). The latest version for Windows is Version 1909 (Build 18363). The 1803 and 1809 are the two builds that have typically become stuck when upgrading to the latest versions. The link above should help with forcing the update.

Once the update is done, you can type in the search bar or by pressing Windows Key + R and typing in winver to check that it is on the latest version.

If it does continue after these suggestions, please contact our Technical Support team directly including full system files. This will give us more information to look into this further that we can’t do on the forums. Please do not post the MSINFO on the forums.

Hi there, did someone find the cure for this problem. I have an Alienware laptop exact same config and same problem…

Edited by Blizzard - this topic is being locked as this is an old post which was bumped. Please create your own thread or contact support.