Random freezes during Co-op play

I’ve been encountering stuttering and framerate drops that escalate into a full freeze. The freeze eventually resolves after anywhere from 10 seconds to five minutes. If the freeze resolves quickly, I can continue the game. If it exceeds the amount of time my partner’s client waits for reconnection, my client will sit and wait at a blank “Attempting to Reconnect” screen forever.

I cannot complete any co-op missions while this is occurring. The amount of time between freezes is inconsistent. Sometimes it occurs under 7 minutes, sometimes it occurs 29 minutes in just as we’re about to achieve victory. I have not noticed any consistent behaviors that might explain why it freezes. Early game, late game, few units, lots of units.

During the freeze, GPU usage drops to 0. I maintain SC2’s mouse cursor when SC2 is selected, and can move it around. Alt-tabbing to another application works fine, and does not seem to prevent the freeze from eventually resolving.

In my match history, some of these games appear to be “In Progress”, though for several, 24 hours have passed.

I’ve wasted several hours now without gaining any XP due to these freezes. I have updated my GPU drivers to the latest from Nvidia. I have restarted my computer. I have reinstalled SC2. I have set my graphical settings to Low and turned down my sound settings to their minimums.

My PC is as follows:
Windows 10 1903 x64
Ryzen 9 3950x
64GB 3600CL16 DDR4
GTX 1070

Hey, Perrine! Thank you for the details here! Based on the behavior, I’m curious if this might be a connection related issue. To help narrow down the concerns, would you be able to try an alternative connection or VPN to see if the problem persists with different routing and hardware?

The main concern is that sometimes the connection can impact the performance within the game, especially with the “attempting to reconnect” issue happening as well.

If this seems to help with the freezing, what’s the router/modem model in the household? Could you include a WinMTR test? Run the test until the problem occurs for 10 to 15 minutes.

If an alternative connection or VPN doesn’t seem to help, let’s gather a DxDiag file to check out.

Copy and paste the text file created and paste it between two ~~~ like so:

~~~
DxDiag and/or WinMTR Here
~~~

If you have issues pasting here, use Pastebin and post the end of the link. (ie. 123456 for pastebin.com/123456)