ProtossCraft 2 cemented SC2's fate in stone

1. Protoss was repeatedly buffed through the roof.

2. Each time it was, more players abandoned the game, especially at lower leagues.

3. Now the game is seeing the worst stats it’s ever seen ranging from # of active players to most imbalanced Grandmaster league ever recorded.

4. Blizzard has now announced it is retiring the game.

The PPP have literally killed the game.

9 Likes

Again whine nothing new

3 Likes

Through the roof??? What batteries doing something and void rays having a use in the game? Maybe people have left because its not a game for the casual player. Its hard to play with your friends.

Its obviously a very niche game. RTS is not a popular genre of gaming. Blaming it on protoss is just such a :cactus: thing to say. Maybe people got tired of the constant protoss racism that percolate the game and forum

5 Likes

It’s OK batz no need to pretend you love Terran by being anti P. Maybe your whole stay after you hit yourself and came back is one big sarcasm. split personalities heeh

5 Likes

Forgets to mention that the game almost died in heart of the swarm when people got bored of the Z fiesta and even a KR Z player destroyed the scene with matchfixing.

3 Likes

The Terran community IMO has done more damage to this game than Protoss… but ultimately it just seems that the balance team if there was one was out of touch with the reality of competitive SC2. All the patches this year were catered towards who was whining the most (Terrans, with Protoss sorta taking over at the end of the year after Rogue and Reynor beat Stats and Trap… in finals)… with no regards to actual results.

Instead of solid well thought out balances changes, we got some changes that were probably suggested by a Gold League Terran intern. The meta settled last season into a balanced state because of Zerg players’ sheer skill, but it’s really in razor’s edge, and with new maps being rotated every season I hope we’re still going to have a dedicated balance team looking over this game, but I’m not feeling optimistic.

5 Likes

The player base is as big as its ever been. Aligulac balance this year has been one of the most balanced periods in the history of SC2. Blizzard finally established its goal of establishing and cementing a competitive foreign scene. And its not just Serral and Reynor. Showtime, Heromarine, Clem, Special, Scarlett, Time, Elazer, etc. Serral and Reynor are foreigners and the two best players in the world. Who would have guessed that even 2 years ago? Zergs won like 70% of the premier tournaments over the last year or so. Protoss havent won a premier tournament in 14 months. It cant be Protoss. I dont think its Zerg domination that caused it either. Its straight up just a business decision from a money grubbing out of touch Blizzard that has been this way for years.

The sad sad truth is that SC2 has long since passed its apex as a money maker. And it doesnt matter how much the game improves, its not a money maker for Blizzard. Despite having as big of a player base as they have ever had even at the top in HOTS… Blizzard simply cant monetize it well enough.

Also, the design of the game is just not entertaining enough. Brood War STILL has new exciting maps, new exciting rookies, and new exciting meta. I could write you several pages why BW is more entertaining than SC2. And as much as I love SC2, the fact is that CS:GO, DOTA, Overwatch, etc. just attract larger player bases and more importantly more revenue per user and better return on investment.

3 Likes

I remember hearing professional protoss players saying they never got any comunication with Blizz and apparently was the norm in the top protoss circle, they felt excluded, and I think later some KR Z said it too, old balance team worked on misterious ways, for sure it always seemed that T was the favourite race but somehow they also let Z get this part of the cake letting them with long periods of broken meta.

Not in my opinion, I’m not into BW, but for me it just looks interesting from a viewer point because the graphics and sounds are awesome, it’s really visual, sc2 feels dull in that aspect, which is a very important aspect.

1 Like

SC2 is entertaining. But it honestly feels like the same builds over and over and over. There are a few rays of light occassionally. Cure had the “new” build with widow mines. Zoun did some cool stuff. Zest basically already won the game but closed it out with a mother ship. Ling bane muta play is kinda back. But overall, despite all the patches, it is still very stale. Yet somehow BW still feels more fresh without a patch since 2001. To be fair, remastered made Valkayries usable which resulted in a new decent build by Flash.

And we are seeing Flash play random and is winning!! And there are exciting rookies like Rush, Soma, and Sacsri (and more) plus great players coming back form the military like Bisu, Stork, Shuttle etc.

2 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/dSkos0B.png

ThE pLaYeR bAsE iS As BiG aS iT hAs EvEr BeEn

My main race has been terran since Broodwar kiddo. But don’t think for even a second I will reveal my true identity to this forum gestapo.

2 Likes

That’s probably because the game is not very competitive and it’s at a niche stage, when the competition is lowest is easier for newer players to shine and be noticed.See sc2 qualifiers, many ‘‘not known’’ players are destroyed and never reach the actual tournament. I’m sure sc2 will enter that stage in some years, but not sure if we will see someone playing random and winning.

“Dead” is relative. There was a sharp drop in the number of players COMPARED to the game’s peak in mid HotS, but, even at its lowest point, it was still far more popular than LotV ever was. This game has been a continuous dumpster fire kept barely alive by infusions like free to play.

Well for GSL I would say that a lot of "not known players are now making it past the qualifiers. People going to military made things less competitive. But other than Zoun, most of the new players getting to the Ro24 are not exceiting.

I will give you that veterans returning from the military have been exciting. DRG and especially Byun have been super cool to watch. Wish MC or Classic could come back soon though ><

1 Like

Okay so the player base reset after the most recent season but its most recent peak was the biggest ever. So recently it was the biggest its ever been. You are probably right though in that it will likely never recover and go down from here.

1 Like

LOL

Thanks to smurfing / cross region play. The key here is in the number of games played. The number of active accounts goes up four-fold but the number of games played goes up literally 2%.

The start of the season IS the active player base and it has NEVER been lower.

1 Like

Fair enough.

I still would have thought having a competitive foreign scene would have “saved” the game. I guess not.

It killed the game. They banned the world’s best players from their most committed fanbase. Of course that is going to nuke the game!

1 Like

LOL

I guess that’s why it was mostly zerg players who left? Because people treated protoss unfairly and not because protoss was bonkers OP vs zerg? LOLOLOLOLOLOL. That’s exactly the mentality that killed the game. Protoss were constantly given hand-outs but if you point that out you are a bully to the poor victim protoss. Reality check: protoss bullied their way to massive buffs then played the victim to keep the status quo.

3 Likes

KR needed other tournament than GSL, something aimed to not top players, because GSL is stacked, just from the current GSL and focusing on newer players,Spear on a group with Trap, Solar, and Special. Zoun, agains Innovation Hurricane and Soo. We used to have code A and Code S, A for the not so good players, code S for the top, now they are mixed and some brackets are brutal.