Protoss Cloak Rework

Is no secret Protoss cloak never reached its full potential, the Mothership was never able to fill this role in its current state. Building up this tech in lategame is somewhat useless, since is very expensive and gets shut down in a few moments.

A rework must be done, in doing so, fresh new air will enter the meta, specially for lategame. Is important to do it in a way is viable specially for gateway and robo units.

How to do it? This is what need thought and discussion, I’ll go ahead and give 3 possible ways of doing it, I’ll ignore the Arbiter because is pretty clear it wont be coming back ever.

1- Mothership reduce building time and increase speed. This could be a way but I don’t really like it since still the tech will be hold by just 1 unit, it also needs airtoss tech which is a negative for me. It’s the least creative.

2- Mothership Core back and reworked to give Cloak, unlocks with fleet beacon. Increase cost 100/350 psi4, one per nexus limit. Another alternative, but still needs air toss tech and we are reviving ghosts so not good for me. Still this unit Art design was one of the best of the game.

3- Upgrade to the Prism that allows to give cloak field. Locked behind Stargate and Templar Archives/Dark Shrine. Somewhat interesting but have to figure out a way to include gas cost. The prism itself could have a second transformation for 50/300 +2psi. I like that is not behind Airtoss tech and flows with gateway and robo builds.

There are serveral Stats games where he pushes for a Mothership timing with robo and gateway units. The gameplay looked like lots of fun.

3 Likes

Here a Stats game where he rushes a Mothership and was able to defeat Rogue. Is the last game of this 2019 GSL series. He pushes with robo+gateway units and a few tempests. You can have a clear idea of how the gameplay could develop if cloak was somehow more accesible and easier to keep in game.

Recently the Zerg had a big change for their cloaked units, Lurkers (range increase and faster Lurker Den). I believe something similar must be done for Protoss.

Interesting idea. Personally i like more the second option. Also in order for all this to be viable a rework of Scan is on order. One option is to leave the Scan energy requirement intact and the Radius, but the normal Radius would reveal the Battlefield and only on half that Radius the terrans could reveal the hidden units.
On mid-late game with a terran that uses 4-5 OC the existence of cloak becames irrelevant.
Also the Stasis-Warp should be reverted, no more timed Stasis, they should be permanent until killed. It was a stupid nerff to begin with. That was due to a troll game and complaint from Scarlett.

1 Like

A simpler solution would be to just shrink the mother ship model, and take away the only one unit restriction. Turn the mothership into like the arbiter 2.0 instead of a unit that gets taken out in the first 5 seconds of the battle.

3 Likes

So we can have more than one meme unit of 8 supply? Do you know that protoos army has the supply 200 max?

I was thinking more of a rework for the Raven, the scan is already too powerful for me. Sure Cloak against Terran might not be as powerful but it would definetly change something in the gameplay. Also you can use the Mothership Core option and also give it recall for 150 energy. Terran also can EMP to reveal units, so they seem to already have all the tools to deal with this.

As for the Statis-Warp, yes its a nice way to keep ling run by’s at bay. Maybe increase their life time, so you can have their protection but can’t spam them all over the map in the long run.

This could be another alternative, still something should be done with building time, supply, cost and speed. So still lots of changes come into action, I don’t necessarily see this as the more simple solution.

Apart from idea 3, Mothership still needs some kind of rework. Was thinking adding to Mothership a “Stack” position like the observer can help just use her as a defensive and recall spam unit from your base. It’s like a flying Nexus.

Also what do you think if you could gather minerals with Mothership? After all you can only have one. Terran can fly CC’s and mule drop saturate so I guess is not too op, needs some testing.