Playing Zerg is stupid

Crocodile tears…
:man_facepalming: :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:
How about reverting the Thor buff to GtA range that was sold under the sauce of Tempests? Tempest speed and acceleration was nerffed but Thor’s buff remained.
Zergs were made a collateral damage …

2 Likes

yet you have no explanation for this…
unless toss is easier to execute, but you wouldn’t say that. That’s why you say “spam”…
give us a plausible answer for toss 40% in GM.

look back shortly:
you are right 23.11.2016 - 13.10.2018 was zerg the leading race in GM. highest peaked 38,50%. reached twice.
since then falls Zerg 20-25%… and toss get high.
highest peaked 45%… since 1.9.2020 ~40%…constant

zerg dominant in tournaments? 2018 the year of the 2 monsters… Maru and Serral.
2019 you can give right different zerg win.
2020 is again mixed winner.
2021 is current.

It’s better to compare results looking when patches are active instead of years, since under patches everybody play under the same circumstances while years interfere with that.

Last balance patch was implemented on august 13, 2020. If you look at the results under that patch till now, and you compare the results of the won tournaments vs runner ups you come to the next result for premier tournaments :

zerg wins vs runner ups : 8 vs 7 for 20-25% of the GM ladder
protoss wins vs runner ups: 8 vs 8 for roughly 40% of the GM ladder
terrran wins vs runner ups: 4 vs 5 for roughly 30% of the GM ladder

I used premier tournaments since those include the most relevant ones (IEM/ Homestory cups/ TSL, Last Chance/ GSL). The further you go down (major/minor/basic), the more basic the tournaments are and the lesser of importance the results are.

I really don’t think you can pretend playing zerg ‘is stupid’ or not powerful enough atm :slight_smile: .

If you look at the permier tournaments under the balance patch before this one, I can understand terran and protoss players complaining. As you already pointed out they peeked in GM and they won over 70% over the premier tournaments. I think in all objectivity that the game was Fubared at that point (though I really enjoyed playing zerg most at that moment :slight_smile: ).

I also think that IronFelix reports Batz often for trolling/spamming numbers he pulls out of thin air/ out of context or cherrypicks numbers to get a desired result that has nothing to do with reality. If one starts from the point that starcraft should be balanced near the very top, the game is in a very good spot. In KR we have Trap, Dark, Rogue and Maru doing well, in EU, we have Serral, Clem and Reynor doing well. Katowice and other tournaments therefore are fun again to watch since the endresult is uncertain because of balance and since no particular race gets 5/8.

If your goal is to nitpick that every league should have the same amount of players in it percentagewise, then I have very bad news for you. It isn’t going to happen… ever. Not only can players choose free which race they want to play, also there will be small differences in which league they are represented more/less and that will vary from GM to bronze.

What matters most is that the game is balanced at the top. I heard several GM’s tell that there is as much difference between bronze and GM top 100, then between GM 100-1. If I compare Serral/Reynor to another GM ranked ±100 I am inclined to believe that. If you reason from that point of view small differences in leagues which race occupies more/less don’t matter anymore.

Kind regards.

1 Like

Better people than me have explained the discrepancy of GM (when 5000MMR players are present) with higher tournaments. You know the explanation and still refuse to accept it. It’s your right, as is mine to ignore the spamming of BatZ’s BS and opportunistic people that care only for easy wins with specific races.
Protoss had higher GM representation even when was in much worst place than now due to peculiar design issues (that i don’t like in the least).

The tens of thousands of data points from GM far outweigh the dozen you cling to in premier tournaments just due to sample size alone. There is a 1 in 38,857 chance that this many protoss GMs could occur assuming balance is fair. There is a 1 in 12 chance that Protoss would win 2 of 13 premier tournaments in 2018:

https://i.imgur.com/aCDSvrj.png
https://i.imgur.com/tAaM8C8.png

It is very simple math. Not understanding statistical validity != valid argument. Cherry picking != valid argument.

1 Like

Statistics has nothing to do with design issues. Protoss race is designed to rely heavily on tricks and cheese that are fine in ladder but don’t help much in BO-N when people know the opponent.
I am all for further increasing the defender’s advantage and nerffing cheese IF they compensate Protoss in mid-late game with units more robust and more consistent.
The king of inconsistency (Disruptor) is the unit where all Protoss race rotates in PvT, that is indication of deep malaise in the Protoss race.
Protoss turtles in PvZ till 200 supply not because they like it but because to attack before the critical mass is created is suicidal.
Sorry for not liking to donate units for next to nothing return.

1 Like

as you said tournaments is different than ladder.
as you can see Zerg is weak in the GM, while toss is 40-45%. And if you look at master lvl zerg is also down by far.

But the point is.“Playing Zerg is stupid” and that’s understandable… because if you don’t play ~5800+. You need more skill basics.

Just say… “yes with the last patch Toss became a easier race for master and GM.” Because that’s what the numbers say…

4 Likes

So how often Protoss win and how often Zerg wins has nothing to do with design? How much brain damage have you received?

1 Like

I didn’t say tournaments are different then ladder, but I agree with that statement since in tournaments you have a different environment, more mindgames are going on, some of them aren’t online,… I believe IronFelix stated that.

I already stated that starcraft 2 should be balanced near the very top, otherwise you wouldn’t have a strategy game anymore, but a choose-the-right-race-and-win-your-tournament- game like it almost was the case with the previous patch. Wether you like that fact or not isn’t important in the least.

Demanding the opposite - that the game should revolve around your skill-level, a level not near the very top able to win premier tournaments/ should be equal in each and every league- leads to a broken and unfun game which isn’t pleasant, nor interesting to watch.

Let me give you an example and turn it around. (insert whining mode) "Zerg only makes up 20-25% of the GM and percentage wise they won as much premier tournaments as the protoss who make up 40% of the GM-ladder (sobbing, while letting some tears). This is totally unfair: I demand if 40% of the GM ladder consists of Protoss they also should win 40% and zerg only 20% since they only make up 20% of the GM ladder… . See how idiotic this kind of reasoning is?

Zerg is perfectly fine to play atm. If you care about numbers that much I think u can’t disagree with the amount of wins they managed to pull of in this patch anyway :slight_smile: .

If you struggle with some aspects of the game, focus on improving them until you run into the next wall. And if you don’t adopt that attittude, I advise you to buy up a lot of Kleenex stock, because you will need it for a very long time every time a game isn’t going your way and an (insert whining voice again) ‘evil-overpowered-not-fair-at-all-extremely-unbalanced’- protoss kicks your but again at the level you are playing.

Kind regards.

1 Like

easy to say… when you have an advantage…
wonder if you would have said that on 1/25/2017.
Still the number say it toss is casual race :grinning:

I already stated I play all 3 races and my toss is about as good/bad as my zerg. I also stated already that I thought the game was fubared in the last patch. I wonder what is so hard for you to understand that for me this is just a matter of perspective (starcraft being balanced at the very top, it now being the case and in the previous patch it being a disaster) …

If you can console and convince yourself that toss is ‘the casual race’ and it helps you find your fun again it’s a good thing. I don’t agree with that statement at all but if it gets you going again and prevents me for having to console you with a ‘there there’, I guess it’s fine.

Now go ladder and smash them.

1 Like

how can you enjoy this as Zerg 3:40 first void… from min 5 at each base 4-6 cannons + 3 sb…

and the toss only makes random shoft clicks on the map for run by … because spine are extremely useless

1 Like

+10000000000000
Mr. Elf: You forgot to say “Kind regards” to your teary deluded interlocutor.

1 Like

A race is as casual as the player.If you are a casual it does not matter if you play T Z or P, you will be a casual,your gameplay will be casual level.

2 Likes

But his point is that if you’re casual as protoss you get a boost to your mmr compared to terran or zerg.

In fact it’s not even just “casuals”, take a look at the race report for the top accounts on ladder, the vast majority of their games are against protoss to the point you will struggle to find any player with less than 50% of games vs them (most are 70%+), in a game of 3 races. These aren’t everyday scrubs, not even avg gm’s, these are the top players of the scene, 6.5k-7kmmr, having 70% of their ladder games vs toss, and you want to paint this as an issue of time investment? No, rather it indicates the opposite where the higher you go the more likely you are to face players that can take advantage of the race’s lax macro requirements to boost themselves to the level that other races’ best players struggle for.

This makes mathematical absolutely no sense whatsoever and is another exagerated rumour pulled out of context.

Riddle me this: if you have only 30-40% playing toss in a league, how can the remaining 60-70% of the playerpool play 50-70% of their games against them… The only possible explanation would be that protossplayers play almost two times as much games as the rest of that playerpool since otherwise they would meet those protossplayers in 30-40% of their matches.

I find that very hard to.believe Your only possible explanation would be that protossplayers would play almost twice as much since otherwise your claim isn’t mathematically possible ( and even if that would be the case, what would the next level of nonsensical whining be : asking them to train less :smiley: ? )

It’s called unranked and leave league dingus.

Furthermore given that we can literally see their number of games played, we can verify as a fact that they do not on average play twice the games as players of other races.

Keep up the mental gymnastics though, any explanation to explain protoss overrepresentation is fine except the simplest.

No, it’s you being full of nonsense and you know it. If you talk about the absolute pro’s 6.5-7k and create a made up sobstory of how 70% of their matchups are vs toss… they play ranked all of the time, even if they offrace. Try to watch a couple of their streams so you can notice that :slight_smile: .

Also feel free to provide their match history to back up your claim.

Sure feel free to look at their race report last season, it’s public data. Their games are nowhere close to being 2x that of other races yet the rate one faces protoss remains 70%.

Edit: Looks like last season is not available. It’s ok, give it a month and the numbers will look the same as last season. Oh and just so we’re clear, you are now on record stating the reason for protoss overrepresentation is that protoss players practice 2x as much as any other race. Seems logical.

If you want to boost,start onetricking,thats easy,thats what a lot of p does and and always did. With T and Z you can also onetrick and boost your mmr.

The high level ladder problem,yes tahts a problem,but if affects mostly the variety and not the quality of the training,because many of these P arenlownlevel players,it does not matter if they were from other races,the top player would be playing lesser players.There is a lack of high level players on ladder,many top players just wait and use the queue as a direct matchmaking,wauting for players to end their games and then queueing to play against them.Low amount of zergtñ?,totally,but allbthe good Z are already in gm if they play,no good Z is going to get only master because low skilled protosses filled the ranks.

1 Like