Packet loss when patching SC2

After years away from SC2, I downloaded it on my new computer (Windows 10). The main download went fine, but when the BNet client tries to download the latest update, it reports a 0KB/s transfer rate and the status area says I am disconnected from BNet. What’s more, all other programs using the Internet perform very badly, both on my new computer and on other devices connecting through the same router (both wired and wireless). I can load very simple webpages (like a few KB of plain HTML), but even that takes a few minutes. The problem ends immediately if I hit “pause” on the update.

I used the Windows terminal to ping major websites while BNet was trying to get the patch. I lost patience after the first 20 packets were lost. As a result, I haven’t been able to patch or play SC2. (I need to finally finish the Legacy of the Void campaign!)

Other Blizzard updates haven’t given me this problem. My HOTS updates have always worked fine, and I installed Hearthstone with no problem just as an experiment. A Broodwar update went smoothly just before I tried started installing SC2.

I tried everything in Unable to Install or Patch StarCraft II - Blizzard Support.

• I disabled my security software
  • I always use a wired network connection
  • I ran the BNet client with administrator permissions
  • I ran “scan and repair” on SC2
  • I checked that my drivers were up to date
  • I verified that Windows is not connecting through a proxy
  • I tried installing through a new administrator account
  • I don’t use a VPN
  • I scanned for malware
  • I reinstalled the BNet client
  • I even removed and reinstalled SC2 (even though it was a fresh install to start with)

I’m fishing for answers here before I pester the nice tech support folks directly. Let me know if you’ve got any suggestions!

Hey Babamots,

Thanks for including the details and the steps you’ve already taken. I have a couple of ideas that may help clear up what you’re seeing with the patch download.

Reset the network configuration in Windows 10:
Go to Start → Settings → Network & Internet → Network reset
Proceed with the prompts and restart the computer.

After that is done try patching again.

If it’s still happening, lets try doing a clean install on the Battle.net app and delete a few of the temporary folders in the process.

1. In Windows 10 go to Start → Settings
  2. Click on Apps
  3. Uninstall the Battle.net app
  4. Press Windows key + R
  5. Type the following into the Run window and hit Enter: %APPDATA%
  6. Delete the Battle.net and Blizzard folders inside the appdata folder if they exist.
  7. Repeat steps 4-6 with %LOCALAPPDATA% and %PROGRAMDATA%
  8. Empty the recycle bin.

Now reinstall the Battle.net app: Battle.net App – Blizzard Entertainment

Thanks for getting back to me! I really appreciate the help.
I did a network reset, deleted all of those folders, and reinstalled BNet. Unfortunately, the problem persists.
I’d be grateful for more suggestions! If we can’t come up with a solution on Blizzard’s end, I’ll try talking to my ISP.

Hey again

That’s definitely interesting that the download seems to be slowing down your other devices on the same network. That makes it sounds more like a router or ISP issue.

You might want to try connecting through a VPN, there’s several VPNs out there that offer free trials, just to see if that gets the download to start progressing. If that works then it could indicate an issue with the router’s firewall or something similar. If you talk to the ISP you could have them try temporarily disabling the firewall to see if it will finish patching then.

The patching succeeded in less than a second once I connected to a VPN. It’s strange that SC2 is the only thing I have this trouble with, but the problem at hand is solved.
Thanks so much!