Opinion on improving Swann's Vanilla and Prestige

I don’t think this occurs. Granted I didn’t check in-game, but as far as I know the attack is not reset. Can anyone else confirm that the Herc-load trick resets tank attack cooldown? Lol. I mean to me, it’s just cuz you have quite a lot of tanks, and they might get staggered… which may make it look like that? Regardless, even if it does, the trick is useful for other reasons than “you can deal more damage from sieged tanks, which kills everything anyway”. So really that’s just a Sieged Tanks is >> Thors issue rather than a Herc-load trick issue.

Also, P3 is not “flat out superior” to P0 at all, they are equal. Again, this is a Drill Top Bar vs Herc/Tank strategy and preference discussion, which has been debunked so many times but people still claim this despite facts.

Can confirm, tanks don’t get shots reset if your loading and unloading super fast. It’s hard to tell with any prestige outside of P3 since they unload one at time, pretty much ensuring they’ll get a shot off while they’re all unloading.

With the instant drop from P3, it becomes more pronounced due to the instant unloading. Once you get fast enough to unload, shoot, and scoop before missiles from a banshee hits, you’ll notice the delay.

Also speaking, I myself prefer tanks with P3, due to the higher alpha damage, longer range, and splash. 12 tanks doing 90 damage with splash gives over 1000 instant damage, and still gives room for goliaths and SCV’s (btw, SCV’s passively heal other units in Herc). 8 Thor’s doing 30x2 damage gives you just short of 500 instant damage with no splash. Granted, this is somewhat offset by the ability for Thor’s to do Barrage, but you’d be amazed at how fast they can die before they start shooting. Usually for Barrage, you want to shoot and then have the enemy walk into it. The extra mobility is nice, but even 4 Thor’s doing a well timed barrage can destroy entire ground comps.

As for High Impact… Eh, I don’t think it’s really needed. If you’re going against a heavy armored air comp, you shouldn’t be massing Thor’s. And if the enemy has the 1 or 2 BC’s defending a base, I usually have my drill focus those down first.

2 Likes

I mean, about the tanks you can do the same as P0, P3 you can do tanks and everything else. I don’t take it worth for mass goliaths/cyclones unless tanks are involved, but thors are slow units which is a pain to answer to attack waves without Herc.

Of course, insta-unload siege tanks means more burst, but it’s not far away from the dmg you do on P0 unless you’re filling the entire cargo with tanks.

I don’t need to be convinced with P1. As “the ally”, I’ve played with P1 Swann, and it really is quite handy. Bunch of enemies clump up, are slowed, and you can then kite, spell bomb them, runaway, reinforce, etc.

I’ve seen a couple of P2 Swann’s REALLY kickass with towers that it felt not that far off from P1 Karax (without his Chrono Wave ofc).

Then let’s just remove the Thor from Swann and give to Raynor. Clearly Swann doesn’t need it.

You mean 12 tanks deal a total 90 splash damage or 90 splash damage each tank? And is that to 1 unit or a group?

What do you think makes more sense?

90dmg / 12tanks = 7.5dmg per tank? :expressionless: What are these miniature paper tanks? Shooting Marine’s rifle bullets?
Tank operator: “Am I a joke to you?”

Or perhaps each tank deals 75dmg (+45dmg armor) with 1.25splash range of 50% or 25% damage, depending on splash radius? And totalling over 1k damage per volley?

2 Likes

There is a strategy of just using only static def and using Hercs for vision, you can do this even in 1 base.

It’s all about abusing the static attack range to push, I don’t particulary like it but it’s legit possible.

What i really wish right now is for Thor to have a toggling button that disable its AA attack.

I found that Mass Hellbat + Thor is very strong vs Ground comp and relatively simple to set up but Thor will most of the time being distracted by a detector or the flying Hybrids and attack them instead of the ground units which it is excel at destroying.

Rather than disabling it’s AA attack, what if it’s AI was changed to prefer ground targets to air targets?

1 Like

Swann is 1 one of my favorite commander too !
Regarding the change you want, I’d say that
VANILLA moving shots Hellions won’t matter, unless we have Faster Cyclone with Better Lock-on. I’d love to see Tactical Jump for SV as well.
P1 Has strong early game, good at defending small waves and bad for pushing / fighting big waves. I agree with the change, drill need more upgrades.

P2 might as well have the 5 men Belly of the Beast team :D, would dig that.
P3 Better Mobility, much Weaker Pushing. The 20+ points Concentration Beam and Bomb, dropping every cooldown clear a lot of maps, taking out key units like Vipers. As much as I love Herc Tank drop, Swann has hella weak early game, and should often go for Hellbats Thor opening, especially vs Air, unless maps/ mutation strongly prefer the long range Siege Tanks or the nimble Wraiths.

1 Like

That could work but I don’t know if it’s possible.

Setting the unit to prefer its ground weapon over its air is easy enough, BCs have that behaviour for example. The real issue for the Thor would be that their anti-air has a much longer range, so at the start of a fight they’d probably focus on the air units still as their original target.

Also gets a bit wonkier due to the Thor’s retargeting choice, as it prefers the closest unit in a set angle in front of it rather than simply the closest like most units in the game.

1 Like

Tychus Odin has the same issue as the Thors with wanting to use anti air weapon because it is longer range. Usually bringing it closer to the enemies fixes that.

Since Thors are mini Odins, seems like it should work with them too. Bonus points if objective target can be hit by both air and ground weapons.

1 Like

With Swann’s upgrade for Goliaths that do both at the same time, I do forget to move them within range of their AA and AG attack so they can fire both together!

1 Like

would be easy to change that as it’s a setting in the data module

Maybe for Swann’s P2:
Instead of 50% increase in vespene cost for units.
Vespene Harvesters only provide income for your ally.

In other words, vespene harvesters can still be deployed but Swann himself gains no visible benefit, at least himself. Yet every few second, his ally gains 2 vespene.

Maybe for Swann’s P1:
Concentrated Beam now becomes usable, but it requires Drill Upgrade 2 and starts on cooldown once researched.

Revisiting this after I played this prestige extensively. I think these are good ideas especially weapon’s upgrade. Right now, even though it’s under powered, I could clear most of enemy wave which travels into maps using transports maps like Parts / Parcel, CoA, ME, DoN, etc.

If we allow the drill to have higher attack (right now max attack is 50, maybe 60-70 attack and slightly more attack speed, 0.8-0.9 rather than 1), I think these upgrades could be ‘wave clearer’ just like the laser abilities. You would need to micro a bit.

For swanns P2
-increase by +300% instead of +100%
and apply to fire suppression rate as well
(so +8 armor, +4 range, +100% attack speed, heal up to 1/2 at 60 hps)

-+100% to all unit (and upgrade) gas cost instead of +50% from units
-no Vespene drones
-no Salvage

instead of disabling abilities for the P1 drill they should have changed to the give the drill temporary buffs. Replace the drill nuke ability with a buff that gives the drill 3 laser attacks instead of 1 and that will attack separate targets for like 8 seconds. Replace the drill laser ability with a buff that gives the drill infinite vision for 15 seconds.