Mecha-Zerglings

Thank you, good sir! I haven’t played Co-op since they implemented prestige, so by reverting back to level 1 I get to learn a lot of things again, and learning is fun!

Thus far, I feel that Stetman:

1. Gary is ultra useful.
  2. I love buffing teammate.
  3. I don’t need a big variety of units to remain useful. This may not be a good thing, because I like to have more than one play style per commander, even more so now thank to prestige, but Stetman feels all around versatile and that kinda shrinks the necessity of (as per other posts suggested) using the end-units.

I’ve not ventured into mutation yet so who knows, that might teach me more.

2 Likes

Speaking of Stetmann’s P3, I figure now’s the time to ask: how on earth does the “Best Oil” mechanic work, and how does it affect units? Has to be particularly good if you’re losing Infestors, of all things. o:

As far as I know, it is a refresh-able buff that lasts 30sec and up to 20x stacks. So as long as you somehow kill something with your unit every 30sec, it will continue keep the stacks and refresh it.

Each stack gives 10% attack speed and regen by 1. So it’s honesty not that crazy of a buff considering how many each unit needs to kill and maintain buff. The main issue is the maintenance (coop being how it generally is and all).

It is widely agreed his P3 is pretty terrible. It is also an easy fix to make the buff last 4x long (ie. 120sec). And that would fix a lot of issues it current has. Taking into account that units with buff can die just as easily, the change wouldn’t imbalance anything. Not that any changes is in the works.

1 Like

CtG did a vid on it. P0 is better, though P3 can be better in a few very niche situations.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I can see the 30-second thing being the main turnoff, yet I also see why it can excel in niche situations where a siege is constant, ala the zombie waves on DoN. Maintenance is right lol. x3

He prefers P2 though, no?

P2 is just all around better without ‘in-practice’ downside. As a player becomes more nuanced with Stetmann, their placement of Stetelites and the amount of Stetelites (without mastery) becomes o’plenty. This in turn equates to unhindered paths for Super-Super Gary. Between the short cooldown on his abilities, the uber number of Stetelites, P2 moves unhindered and uncontested.

Often, you’ll see a more pro P2 Stetmann charging into bases/objectives that are far beyond reach for any other commander during early stages of the game. That feat alone somewhat is telling of how powerful ‘right off the bat’ P2 really is.

-cries in pre-nerf P2 Tychus- :joy:

Put another way, it’s a damn shame Stetmann alone doesn’t have any Prestiges. Any at all. Certainly not a mix of overpowered, underpowered and weird ones that don’t really live up to any particular fantasy. It’s disappointing – at least Abathur, Vorazun and H&H got two, but here’s Stetmann with nothing. Oh well. He’s a fun commander anyway.

Usually transmutation, they were used to complete cold adaptation (blizzard + transmutation on ME) with stetmann, no other stet unit can do that mutation. They are generally good units on that map. Of course p2 was used, don’t even think of ever using P3 even for the most unit spammy mutations.

Yup, super dooper Gary is so powerful.

On mutators that Spawn infested his p3 skyrockets once you get ultralisks out.

On DoN you can protect all 4 entrances with just one ultralisks,they get insane attackspeed and healthregen, in combination with green or blue overcharged stetalites they going nuts.

P2 is a straight up buff to his P0 since you always wana fight inside stetzones.
If you really need to move far away his E is ready

I can think of three now suddenly (apart from transmutation), but I don’t have the whole mutator list in my head.

These are temporal field, photon overload and laser drill.

EDIT: Oh, and avenger ofc.

Why would these better suit Mecha ultra over Mecha Zergling?

As far as being tanky, Mecha Zergling don’t lose out to ultra at all per cost point. With overcharge on Stetelites, they are actually more tanky due to the number of matrix shields recast if lost due to damage (while mitigating damage from its own hardened shield).

So things such as photon overload (enemy structure go pew pew) and laser drill simply just have more to target through. Especially the drill, it’ll have to focus and refocus on each ling (presumably far more than ultra).

As for avenger, it is the same. Neither do well or poor against it. Given that it is far cheaper and reliable to use lings, I’d still give them the edge.

Ultras are great and fun, but really do get overshadowed and have few niche. One I can think of is any infested map with outbreak, incubator, etc. The more it can cleave/damage, the better it’ll sustain over Zergling.

1 Like

Well, there’s no way you can always fight under stetzone, so zerglings die in 5 hits if at least 10 damage. That’s for laser and overload.

Against avengered units zerglings barely do some damage and even that is healed. The ultra has much greater attack.

You are right about the three infested mutators which ultras would perform much better against.

you can always fight under stetzone and you can even let your Overcharge shields build up on all your units before you charge at an enemy.

Ummm what…? You should always fight under zone… if your link-stetelites can’t reach, that’s where your Super Gary’s personal zone + stetelite comes in. You overcharge and that’s how you approach every fight generally.

I mean if you let Avenger get to that point, a few Ultras doing minimal damage isn’t exactly better. So that’s not “Ultras are better than Lings against Avenger”… that’s just “you done f’d up by not using E-gorb”. Not to mention, you probably shouldn’t be using either of those 2 to begin with. Kind of a side point of “which poor choices are poorer?”

Also, just for information, it’s 0.3 armor per stack. So even at 10x stack, the unit only has 3-4 armor (for like 99% of the ground units).

Mecha zergling does 5dmg over 0.35sec (with adrenal), over 14DPS. While Mecha ultra does 35dmg over 0.86sec for abotu 41DPS. Given that one has smaller collision size (ie. better surround), cost to cost (ie. 6lings to 1 ultra), that is 14 x 6 for 84DPS over 41DPS. So even if you account for a 3armor stacked avenged unit, the math is as follows:

• (5 - 3) / 0.35 x 6 = 34DPS (6 lings)
  • (35 - 3) / 0.86 x 1 = 37DPS (1 ultra)
    Cleave is taken out as avenged groups are too large for cleave to generally get any benefit.

If you add the +3 upgrades on each of these units: (+3 lings, +12 ultra)

• (8 - 3) / 0.35 x 6 = 85DPS
  • (47 - 3) / 0.86 x 1 = 51DPS

You can see that there’s basically no benefit whatsoever on Mecha Ultralisks at all. Given again that more overcharged shields on x 6 lings is more bulk than 1 x shield on 1 x ultra, you’re benefiting far more in sustainability, on top of the higher DPS applied in practice.

1 Like

I agree based on my own experience, but that experience is of a level 5 unbought locked Stetmann.
And common practice is probably to use full level/mastery commander as reference, and state it if doing otherwise (though I may choose to not participate in a discussion instead :stuck_out_tongue: )

You’re comparing mecha-lings for their damage output? Isn’t what hydras are for?

Lings by themselves often can’t deal with avenger enemies and you have to add either hydras or infestors, and I don’t know what kind of game you play but some enemies always get to 10 stacks with avenger in games with the mutator, this is not really an error by the player.