Kerrigan / Raynor Ending

The Queen Of Blades book was even worse. The author directly changes who wins missions. That book was a disgrace.

There’s no way you can play The Stand and pretend that Artanis got a promotion instead of demotion and talking down to by Aldaris.

They didn’t try hard enough. I prefer a good ole fashioned bludgeoning still, even if that would seal the fate of the sector.

The problem is (especially with SCR) New Gettysburg is explicitly referred to as a space port rather than a city, especially in doodads. This gets weird as well as previously unreadable signs on maps like the Dylarian Shipyards now also announce how you’re at New Gettysburg.

In Artanis’s case, the manual talks about how he’s the youngest praetor in Brood War, but it’s superfluous if he was also Executor. Also as mentioned Praetor is a step down. This also gets weird since he introduces himself to everyone as “recently appointed praetor” and how you can trust him in his duties, which you’d think he wouldn’t have to do as the hero who just commanded the assault that defeated the Overmind. Not irreconcilable but it does not mesh super well with the games.

Liberty’s a bit of a weird one since the book does mention the Magistrate, and up until Tarsonis Liberty’s not in any place where he’d see the Magistrate, but it does fall apart near the end. But they’ve used him in other placed too, he was pretty key to the prelaunch event they did for Nova Covert Ops as well. Still somewhat a “game.”

It all depends, I just tend to treat games as harder canon, but when the games don’t go deep in and the books do go with the books. Queen of Blades being a good example of this in practice with the game sequence of events being the more “canon” one, but smaller events still being signifiant.

2 Likes

55% of me takes the ending at face value.

35% of me thinks Kerrigan from the Void saw a girl flirting with Jimmy at the bar. Jimmy didn’t go for it but Kerrigan still got jealous, and absorbed Jimmy’s essence like a psycho girlfriend .

10% of me thinks Jim was drunk, and hallucinated the whole thing, and died wandering the Mar Sara wasteland .

5 Likes

welcome to the real world bad boys are not punished, and a story is not a moral treatise, kerrigan’s fate was a roulette she was already beaten if being guilty being a puppet all her life and becoming a goddess is not a prize if not a ballast

yes things go ambiguously well the final but in the course kerrigan divinity is not a benefit, Amon is developed under trope " Living Forever Is No Big Deal"or" Who Wants to Live Forever?"to put the perspective that kerrigan getting away from the normality that she desire.
For some people it is to imagine that a simple life is a prize (there are people who can see death the desired break) and the melacolic ending rests in which Kerrigan abandoned his normal life with Jim, and hence the ambiguous happy ending, in contrast Amon He loses all his life as a mortal because he was promoted, and I could assume through the kerrigan dialogues there is a certain loss and individuality by absorbing the essence of a xelnaga as if adding the consciousness of an infinite cycle

When Kerrigan won in BW people weren’t happy about it. At least it was consistent. I hate how SC2 treats her like the good guy. See this thread for more info: Kerrigan Thread #9023

1 Like

Then a Lyote ate the body.
The lyote then died from Alcohol poisoning.

What bothers me is that the game thinks necessary to hold our hands and tell us she’s a good guy. Either let us draw our own conclusions without trying to sway us - and swaying clearly worked for some people - or at least hold our hands the way I want it. I mean the way it makes a tiny bit more sense.

3 Likes

Artanis is obviously a retcon, but aside from naming his rank a couple times and the oddity of Zeratul having to explain to him that Terrans helped defeat the Overmind when he was the one commanding that battle, it doesn’t really conflict with anything.

3 Likes

That’s impossible. He didn’t bring any supply with him. I distinctly remember he left his glass on the bar. Thus, his body would long digest any alcohol before he collapses.

@Emperor Probius, the ruler of Probe

I can’t remember exactly which line, but his relationship with Zeratul is so weird under this retcon. They suppose to fight together through the whole Episode III. Not some stranger who just met at the beginning of Episode IV.

Lore-wise, I don’t see how it’d be possible under any practical circumstances.

That is very simplified, Kerrigan is never treated as the good girl, she does not have a other deep relationship like Raynor who forgives her for her soft heart , previou story and he seen that it was not exactly the same past point, there is a difference between military invasion (Primal Kerrigan) and a genocide (queen of blades).

Yes, from our quite rational perspectives, provoking a war for a personal affront is crazy but even so Menelaus and Agamenon burning Troy for Helena’s kidnapping was justified enough for them and others.

the other other relationships of Kerrigan Horner and Valerian (who saw her with a xenobiological interest) that are even softer than Raynor, and both are distant but seem compressive with kerrigan since they know their tragedy, but for the rest of the people it is a monster, a target shot or an enigma zerg

1 Like

We played a different game then because I see Raynor crying over her at the end during the epilogue and not once does anybody point out her blatant crimes in HotS. They just easily agree to work with her as if HotS never happened. All the times that anyone is ever mad boils down to two scenarios:

1. It’s Kerrigan’s victims saying something before they get killed.
  2. People are holding a grudge for her actions from Brood War.

Kerrigan experiments on other protoss as a weapons test. She has to be begged by Valerian into saving civilians.

The queen of blades never crippled 10 other industrial planets when her target was one planet. Her “military invasion” in HotS was far more gratuitous and on par with genocide. At one point she’s straight up invading a city planet which really has nothing to do with Mengsk or Korhal.

See this thread:

http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?15826-HoTS-Kerrigan-is-Evil-and-Morally-Bankrupt
1 Like

Who, exactly, has the moral high ground to be talking about collateral damage during a war? Artanis and his people initiated first contact with the terrans by murdering a planet, and they followed up with 5 more before Tassadar got cold feet, and Selendis (and by implication Artanis) was fully prepared to do the same thing again on Haven. Raynor, meanwhile, is explicitly not objective towards her, and his own actions against Mengsk haven’t exactly been casualty free either.

3 Likes

Get some portraits folks. This is annoying.

1 Like

Nay, son. That’d be the forum. It be taking yer face on a moonless night as it emerges from the mist. I saw with me own eye, more monster than forum, crawling through the cyberspace.

3 Likes

Why didn’t Kerrigan just reclaim her brood on Kaldir and get out of town? Why did she have to basically wipe out a protoss research colony.

I can’t see how it would take longer to evacuate a small brood than it would to destroy the warp conduits. Just jump on the Leviathan and leave.

1 Like

Well that has been one of the hottest HotS topics since release.

Pun intended.

Kerrigan is worried about the Golden Armada chasing her to hell and back if they find out she’s at anything other than max strength. Even if she could theoretically take them in a fight (which I contest) it would leave her far too weak to achieve any of her actual goals.

She shoulda’ bailed once she found that Naktul was dead.