Is Zerg underpowered

According to Aligulacs “balance” page PvZ has a win rate of around 57% for protoss and around a 51% to 52% win rate for Terran in TvZ

In other words, zerg players are losing more than the other races. By looking at the graph, it appears this all became more obvious after the balance patch this year since you can see the graph change a lot.

This is since the new balance patch changed things up a bit. I believe this is for pro/gm players but it still correlates to the whole ladder at least a bit.

Do you think zerg is underpowered or do you think zerg just has to “figure out” what works for this patch?

1 Like

A big NO
20 Characters.

1 Like

TvZ bounces above and below the 50% line for the past two years, and usually by less than 3% variance. It’s been Z favored as least as many months as it has been T favored over the past 2 years. There’s no issue there.

The only anomaly is PvZ which had been consistently protoss favored for years. So rather than asking if zerg is
underpowered, it would probably be more to the point to ask if protoss is overpowered. Which many other people have asked as well.

But we need to see a few months of results with the new patch, to see how the balance is in the new patch. Zerg got buffs, and protoss got some nerfs.

1 Like

Anyone that actually plays this game at diamond+ level knows this. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve played 10-20 Protoss players in a ROW because thats the extreme majority. Terran bio and Zerg take tons of skill. Protoss does not. So why are you going to pick Terran or Zerg?

2 Likes

This is the most anti-zerg map pool that I think I have ever seen. The balance patch was heavily in zerg’s favor, but this map pool is absolutely awful. I am winning a lot of games due to the balance changes and losing a lot of games due to the map pool, and it’s pretty easy to identify the cause. Sometimes snipes will miss when normally the ultra would die, or carriers will die to hydras when normally the hydras would derp on the interceptors.

The maps are just absolutely horrendous. The maps are small. The maps have short-by-air distances between bases and long-by-ground distances. This means it’s literally impossible to defend certain medivac manuevers. Every base has a nice siege tank location, and the terran’s parade push arrives at your door almost instantly and his reinforcements are practically on top of you the moment they pop out of a barracks.

A season of absolutely terrible maps is fine considering the balance patch buffed the ever living crap out of zerg. The balance patch should be here at least a year.

I Love that even batzy is saying the Patch is in favor of zerg.

Maybe Just maybe because zerg pros dont ladder at all anymore. In fact Most of the pros dont ladder at all anymore. There are some pro terran content creators that still ladder hard but top ladder is protoss only which skews the aligulac result. Its important to Note that GM distribution is now fairly Equal tho for na plus EU plus kr…Accounting for respective Playerbase.

Is zerg doing Bad ? No what the hell ofc Not. Zerg Had a good result in iem and in every tourny with the new Patch.

1 Like

The patch that made Clem use mech consistently? Batz would rather claim Zerg isn’t underpowered than admit he’s wrong, lmao. Atleast he’s not as wrong as the PPP that claimed the sky was falling when they helped gold leaguers against carriers.

3 Likes

not sure if it’s the patch or maps, but one of them hit zerg hard.

after watching a few games and playing against battle mech myself.
yes… it is… just yes…

True. But havent seen many protoss actually complaining about that. I only see people like ghosthydra still crying about that…maybe still further proving the point he should be in gold if he still struggles vs carriers. As you said they helped gold leaguers with it. Higher people shouldnt complain about carriers.

just look in thread with PTR changes. those were no more tears but a sea of crying.

and some have exposed themselves that they have no idea…

well right now i just see more zerg whiners not getting that they simply could build some corrupters and a move vs carriers and they will be fine.

Zerg got nerfed too in particular the vipers and creep spreading.

Carriers aren’t the problem. Protoss easily blocks scouting with a stalker consistently on the ladder so you can not scout them early to know if they’re going DT, Robo, Skytoss etc… then they often attack with an all-in and win. Not only that but Altitude (the map) is very unfavourable for zerg though I think this is for TvZ where Terran wins most of the games on altitude.

Though I don’t know about the other maps it was just altitude that was blatantly imbalanced.

That doesn’t matter. The fact remains that zerg is losing a lot more than last season(s) vs protoss. It hasn’t been this much of an imbalance since 2016.

Just because your favorite pro isn’t part of the stats doesn’t mean the stats are wrong.

LllIlIlIlI which maps do you recommend vetoing?

Its not about 1 pro.

Show me where is serral on the ladder. where is reynor? Elazer? Lambo?

Its common knowledge right now that zerg pros simply dont ladder and rather do custom games.

When you watch tournaments and look at the win percantages there its very very good for zerg. Same with aligulac top 20 players.
There is literally not a single reason for zerg to be crying right now.

Yes. And other races got nerfs too but zerg is the only race that actually gets core buffs and even freaking BATZY is saying that the patch is good for zerg. Dude. Batzy is the whiniest zerg there is and even he says its good for zerg :smiley:
Implying zerg is weak on this patch is simply dense.

And btw sry this is not a thing at all. Protoss doesnt even want to build a stalker in early game because its practically useless besides killing the overlord. Meaning if hes desperatly trying to kill the scout its a scout on itself and a delay for the protoss. Its stupidly easy to scout a protoss and you might want to get your defense up. Watch pro games. They dont struggle at all with scouting vs protoss. if protoss is not expanding before 5 minutes its a cheese/all in so prepare for it. If not, the protoss is rather bad. dude. you can hover at the nat of protoss for like 5 minutes with your overlord. how can you fail to scout what hes up to??

yeah. all in all this sounds like a massive skill issue.

3 Likes

Overall, totaling up all the zerg changes it is a large buff for zerg. Enjoy it rather than complaining about it. You know, some people complain when their race gets nerfed. Zerg apparently complains bitterly for months when their race gets massive buffs. Lol. Gotta give it to Batz, at least he sees buffs for what they are.

Look at it this way, would you want them to take out all the zerg changes? Be honest. No? It was a huge buff.

I seriously don’t get how low league players think. How was anything a real buff to zerg? These .1 and .2 balance changes did NOTHING. Hydras still can’t kite zealots on or off creep, it was a useless buff. Ultras are still extremely derpy, still can’t get their attacks off vs bio and now they’re smaller so splash damage destroys them. ZvZ went back to being 100% lurker vs lurker because of the Ultra size “buff”.

So we got a bunch of useless “buffs” and our ONE only amazing unit in the game gets nerfed, so a 200/200 unit almost always instantly dies every time it casts ONE spell. There is a reason this game lost 75% of its viewer/playerbase, ya’ll need to wake up.

Um, except it wasn’t league players who made the changes. It was top pros. You know - people who know the game a lot better than you, dude. And many of them were zerg players.

Bruh, I’m talking about you complaining on the forum, not about Pro players. Also the general consensus of the ENTIRE community was that this balance patch was terribly thought out.