How will lawsuit vs actiblizz impact SC2 future?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/business/activision-blizzard-california-lawsuit.html

Apparently the lawsuit relates to harassment in the workplace.
“the company’s executives and human resources department failed to address misconduct when they were informed of it.”

Does the lawsuit extend to ingame harassment? People’s livelihoods depend on gaming/streaming of SC2? How often have the parties responsible been informed about the ingame harassment and yet nothing changes?

Will the United States of California close SC2 once and for all? :thinking:

SC2 has no future, no more updates and no more balance patches. They just let it die and move on.

6 Likes

Are those gamers/streamers considered direct employees of Blizzard in a literal sense (not in an interpreted sense)? No. Therefore unrelated.

1 Like

The lawsuit says women at the gaming company were paid less and discriminated against, and it described a culture of sexual harassment.

Translation: Blizzard hired SJWs then acted surprised when they act like SJW’s (surprisedpikachuface.jpg).

Companies need to start hiring mature adults and turning down people with clear signs of mental illness. I have friends with blue and pink hair. That being said it’s a fairly good predictor for mental health issues which definitely will impact the work place.

Pew research did a study awhile back. They polled people based on a variety of questions then grouped by demographic. Young adult liberal women reported almost 60% had been diagnosed with a mental health condition. For men it was lower but still higher in the liberal demographic. Interestingly, married women reported no elevated problems above other groups. Anxiety seems to be a really common problem for young liberal adults (but most especially women) trying to make it on their own and this enters the workplace in the form of interpreting everything under the sun as “harassment”. This eventually culminates into lawsuits like this.

There is almost no possible way that there is a giant conspiracy at Blizzard to sexually harass women. It’s a mental health crisis created by the feminazi agenda, which shoved a bunch of people into the workplace before they were ready.

5 Likes

Gawd forbid this to extend it to ingame harassment. I never took serious what someone’s nonsense cursing or ‘go die’ to pursue them. It is stupid from the side of the snowflake to react to such. Sometimes they say t hat if someone makes such swearing and you are some guy that may suicide cause of it… it is not the game or the opponents problem. In NA (mostly quoting the snowflakish laws of VICITIMIZING yourself to get some gain out of it) this could get you in trouble so you gotta be careful with the :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake:

It’s called TIVS. It’s a new mental health condition.

https://www.psypost.org/2020/12/researchers-identify-a-new-personality-construct-that-describes-the-tendency-to-see-oneself-as-a-victim-58753

2 Likes

Basically it’s very similar to vulnerable narcissism. Narcissists see themselves as better. Vulnerable ones are extremely sensitive to anything that challenges their complex and will replay their mistakes over and over in their head. Grandiose ones could crash a car into a brick wall and still think they are better than nascar drivers. So the difference is in the amount of neuroticism.

Further, they found that people high in TIV attended to negative aspects of interpersonal relationships far more than others. They were much more likely to attribute negative intentions or maliciousness to the actions of others, and were much more likely to recall or remember the negative things, compared to positives. They tended to attribute negatives to other people, and rarely to themselves

So TIV people struggle with interpreting other peoples’ actions. In other words they are socially handicapped vulnerable narcissists.

1 Like

Sc2 always did have a focus on worker harassment though :confused:

4 Likes

For once, I agree with you.
If a piranha tells you it is a piranha, then believe it, and do not swim on it’s part of the river, otherwise you are the only one to blame, when you get chewed to death.

A company wants to virtue signal with post-modernist hires?
Then it will have to suffer those hires, and their post-modernist atittudes.

4 Likes

Sadly it’s a lose lose situation I think. If you don’t hire them, they will start calling you out for discrimination. If you do hire them, something like this happens… Company goes “woke,” something goes inevitably wrong internally or the quality of products drop drastically in the process of going woke. It’s going to get worse from here on out as companies are eaten alive by cancel culture and the screechings of a loud minority.

3 Likes

Move your company to a red state where there aren’t massive mental health crises.

1 Like

That’s probably a good move. Unfortunately, I think places like Texas and Florida are getting flooded with “blue” due to their cheap land/housing prices as people from the east and west coast move towards these cheaper locations. It’s a tough call to make as the future is so uncertain. We keep hitting new grounds with the woke culture daily, and no one knows when normal is going to make a comeback (because everyone wants to be special nowadays).

1 Like

Activision Blizzard, however, denies DEFH’s allegations. In a statement, the company said that the agency’s lawsuit “includes distorted, and in many cases false, descriptions of Blizzard’s past.” It called the DFEH’s complaint “inaccurate” and described the lawsuit as the “type of irresponsible behavior from unaccountable State bureaucrats that are driving many of the State’s best businesses out of California.”

So I browsed the complaint. They allege all sorts of wild accusations and the evidence is basically nil from what I can tell. They have inserted “evidence” which is a small table with 4 entries containing the reported salary of top executives. Of the 4 people listed, one is a woman, and she is payed less (she does a different job than the others and she is making FAR more than a typical CPO does).

They are linking to news articles as “evidence” for their claims (lol). At one point it cites that because someone was asked out on a date they were being harassed. There seems to be conjecture that someone who committed suicide (tragic) did so because she was having a relationship with her boss (seems like a leap and/or gossip).

It reads exactly like some woke extremist propaganda piece - wild allegations rambling about “white men” and unconvincing evidence.

Here is a link in case you are interested: https://aboutblaw.com/YJw

https://i.imgur.com/Yy4arUJ.png

I didn’t see a footnote anywhere. They don’t seem to be citing any evidence for these claims. To me it looks a lot like drama / gossip rolled up into a “lawsuit”. I also noted that they allege the defendants didn’t take “reasonable” action in response to the complains (aka it’s an opinion). So there is lots of drama and accusations infused with opinions but very little evidence from what I can see. I don’t think this will survive a motion to dismiss.

This might be the first post on which we agree… Miracles still seem to be possible.

Just looked into the claim… The deeper I read into it, the more it looks to me like a lot of hot air is being blown which will be very hard to prove (read impossible). Since the presumption of innocence requires the plaintiff to prove his claim and Blizzard-Activision is the defending party here, it will probably lead to Blizzard-Activision making some big financial counterclaims due to slander and defamation, reputational damage, …

Some of the more fun passages which I am looking forward to:

Male employees proudly come into work hungover, play video games for long periods of time during work, while delegating their responsabilities to female employees, engage in banter about their sexual encounters, talk openly about female bodies, and joke about rape

How are they going to prove they are hungover?
What if their job is coding/ looking for bugs/ testing/… ? One of the only ways to test or look for bugs is to play the videogames.
Which responsabilities are delegated and if some are, is it within limits of the job description?
Is it a felony/crime to talk about your sexual encounters? It’s not something I openly would do but as far as I know it’s not a felony or a crime.

Defendants paid female employees significantly less then their male counterparts after hire. Women were also offered less stock and incentive opportunities.

This is an interesting one: if exactly the same work has to be done and they have to work ±equal amounts of hours this could be discrimination… but it is also easily refutable if the jobs consist are different functions/work.

The passage about Alex Afrasiabi is spicy: I urge every one to read it… This could be easier to prove with testimonies/footage/… but in that case they should prosecute him and not the company since it has nothing to do with company politics.

For the rest it reads to me a lot of hot air being blown by woke propagandist including some identity and gender politics in their claims. They will have a very tough time proving some/ all of those claims.

Thanks for the link btw

1 Like

Oh noo they might hurt my feelings and feelings only i wonder how will i survive that??
My only hope is that normal functioning people that i hired will doo!

The end!

Must admit the “they play videogames all day” argument is pretty funny. Is like going into an architects office and say “they were looking at buildings all day, it was disgusting”.

3 Likes

This is good thing now they will finaly had to find real job!

1 Like

Blizzard probably won’t post anything regarding SC2’s 11th anniversary since they’ve gone into full radio silence on social media and blogs. That’s about it.

The lawsuit has nothing to do with anything in-game behavior. California isn’t trying to close Activision Blizzard down although this could cost them a massive amount of money and further drive away customers and shareholders.

Color me skeptical. Besides the internet being full of frat boys who will no doubt be offended by the lawsuit bringing them into it, the internet outrage machine is a goldfish. You basically have to stab a baby on live TV before they remember you that long.