How Veil of Shadows Works, and why it doesn't benefit Oracles

I know some people might be curious about this. TL;DR, the oracle does not benefit from Veil of Shadows when upgraded, unless it’s in a dark pylon field.

As for why this is the case? Veil of Shadows is two behaviors instead of one. One of them is granted by the dark pylon and applies to all allied units. The second one is Veil of Shadows (Permanent) and applies to specific units that have been assigned to it.

This list in particular bothers me. It includes the dark templar and the corsair (which makes sense) but it also includes stuff like the banshee, wraith, han and horner’s wraith, and various other cloaked units without shields. What it does NOT include, curiously enough, are the observer and the oracle. The oracle is semi-understandable, as stealth drive applying to it was a fairly recent thing. What I don’t get is how it doesn’t apply to the observer.

4 Likes

Units without weapon maybe? Make me curious about lurkers.
Keeping (but striking) the answer I made while being confused with “Emergency Recall”.
But maybe some devs were as confused as me :laughing:
Where did you find the “list” you’re talking about? (if in the map editor, where, because it’s not easy finding stuff in there)

So have you tried to add to the list in editor and see if it works?

Are you talking about “veil of shadow” or “strike from the shadow”?

“Veil of shadow”= +400% shield regeneration
“Strike from the shadow”= +15% attack damage and +50% energy regeneration

Yes, I am referring to Veil of Shadows. What’s curious is how Strike from the Shadows works just fine no matter what unit is cloaked. However, Veil of Shadows only works on a whitelist of units, or units within a dark pylon.

2 Likes

it’s in the editor, but you need to load the coop dependency

I am not sure if you were there during the Oracle patch or not but the stealth drive is originally Corsair’s research. Oracle was later buffed to be benefited from this research in patch 4.6.0.

The list of Vorazun’s permanently invisible units probably predate the Oracle buff and was overlooked since then. Even during the Oracle buff, it was not updated to correctly include them in “Veil of Shadow”.

For Observer, i can understand because as Vorazun player no one will waste 150 energy to mind control Amon’s observer so they are not needed to be included.

I have no speculation for Banshee and wraith

You say that… but umm… I may have did a thing when oracles piss me off…

3 Likes

But I mean this sounds more like a bug. Should make a bug report to include it in the list. Not that I expect this to ever be fixed.

I suspect Cerebrate is right though, they probably changed what got cloaked but didn’t include it in the initial list for Oracle. Rip lol.

1 Like

figured out how to fix it and it’s really rather easy.

for each unit, there’s a list of behaviors that apply to it. this includes stuff like basic AI controllers, upgrade effects, and whatnot. among these behaviors can be “Veil of Shadows (Permanent)”. this is present on the units mentioned beforehand (corsair, dark templar, wraith, banshee, etc.) so, all one has to do is add the behavior to the list on the unit, and voila.

1 Like

Hope a moderator sees this and pass it on. Easy work to include on the next fix.

Or you can load up MM map. All the co-op data are there (except for Stettman and Mengsk).

Does not make sense for vorazun not having observers. Every toss should have obs.

i also figured out how to enable revelation on vorazun and it’s a simple case of literally changing one parameter (and i guess readjusting the command card to prevent button conflicts, but that’s not the important part)

honestly, the editor is so easy to use that it’s infuriating. the fact that i can just pick it up and make these balance changes i’ve been wanting for months, it’s just so disheartening

Would be nice if her oracles could have that. Why don’t they? Another weird blizzard reason.

Here’s a screenshot of a cloaked Oracle not in a Dark Pylon field having the Veil of Shadows & Strike from the Shadows buffs (status icons visible). So are you saying that one of them is not actually active even though the icon is present?

Imgur

(it’s outside the DP field)

2 Likes

This was my exact thought initially too, except too lazy to check (cuz it wasn’t an issue at all even if true). So I just took OP’s word for it.

Now that this is presented, it would be cool if OP can clarify?

If I recall right, it first gets cloaked by the upgrade, but the veil doesn’t apply. Then dark pylon applies it when it enters, and it remains when it leaves until it gets decloaked.

It’s a similar case with Zeratul. If he’s in a dark pylon when he starts regenerating shields (note: zeratul has no shield regeneration delay unlike other protoss units) then he’ll have VoS even if he leaves the radius, until he hits max shields, at which point he loses the behavior.

Is this what’s happening in the picture above with the oracle?

The way I tested this was to spawn an oracle, a dark templar, and a corsair, and then using an enemy ghost to EMP them, then observe how they react.

As for why I spawned the other two units… I guess it’s for control purposes. It’s pretty obvious that once they start regenerating they’ll regenerate 4x as fast. But I guess you can compare the corsair and the oracle.

But importantly, do not let a dark pylon influence the test at all.