How to win every TvP - instructions inside

1. Check that your opponent uses mech.
  2. Make Carrier/Immortal.
  3. If opponent have Thors add Disruptors.
  4. If opponent have BC add Tempest.
  5. Collect free win.

You have to be severely clueless or 1000 MMR worse than the Terran player in order to lose TvP against mech.

1 Like

awesome guide, very helpful !
Kind of skewered the fact that only Terran units have counters, and Protoss units seem to not have any counters of their own, but this basic rundown of how to deal with Terran mech is genuinely usable.
And remember the best advice that was, is or will be, regarding race balancing:
if you don’t like your own race because it’s too weak, switch to the race that you like more / feels more powerful

Mech vs protoss works at GSL level. Even avilo was above 50% vs toss last I checked.

1 Like

Not completely working.

While Protoss being too weak against mech is absolutely laughable, saying only MMR 1000 players don’t get free wins against it, is also a massive exaggeration.

1 Like

No I meant you need to be 1000 MMR above your Protoss opponent in skill if you want an even game. If both players are of even skill and Terran uses mech Protoss will always win.

The exception is maybe timing attacks. Mech can work if you do a timing attack and the Protoss player plays greedy. But if the game goes to late game good luck trying to win against Protoss.

I have had games where I killed 30+ workers and entered late game with a massive lead just be overun with carrier/imortal/tempest.

In TvT and TvZ that would never happen. If you enter the late game with large economic lead you have a huge advantage. But in TvP Protoss is so extremely much stronger than Terran that they still have the advantage even with massive worker losses.

How to win every TvP:

1. Realise that you are actually allowed 6+ factories.
  2. Make Thor/tank
  3. If they make zealot/archon, make drilling claw mines.
  4. Collect free win.

Seriously dude, if you lose with mech against Protoss past early game, it was because you were the worse player, 120%.

Thor/tank get gets killed by
a) disruptors
b) immortals
c) zealot
d) carriers
Basically the only thing you beat with thor/tank is stalkers and sentries.

Having a large number of factories just mean that Protoss have a huge army advantage. 175 gas for every tech factory, 200 gas for a reactor factory, 100 gas for each armory.

Mech is bad against protoss,almost every toss unit is a hard/soft counter to mech units. Assumimg equal skill, protoss player should win every time unless he is not really prepared for a a mech game.

I once beat a mech player with just chargelots,literally, I only built the first stslker and then just zealots. The guy whined about protoss units being OP, all I did was outmacro him ,massing chargelots and attacking from two sides and warprism.

1 Like

Everyone is over 50% vs Toss. The race is generally weak right now. Way too many heavy handed nerfs in conjunction with too many small or moderate buffs to T and Z.

1 Like

well in order to work with mech you need to slow down the toss with hellion/mine drops while expanding like a mad man this is my experience

you need to be confident that the toss wont frontal-attack you to fullfill this then you can get enough thor mines + couple tanks while being a base ahead you always need him to believe he can’t expand/counter attack you aka you need to mess with the mind set he shouldn’t feels save unless the invest of tons of static or leaving half of the army home

Yeah, it’s really not that easy.

Problem is I see Tank/Viking/Liberator/Marine in every match vs Protoss. Once they seige up at choke point, there is little thing you can do to stop the Terran from scoring that free win.

Actually, it does seem to be exactly that easy. I think I have lost once with Thor/tank against Protoss, and I was 4 base against 7. Meanwhile, I have won 1 game against it (out of 3 that got to that point) and I was 8 base against 4.

Sure. Everything about every other race is easy… dude, just max out with fat units like archons and immortals and attack from one angle. You’ll win 60% of the time.

Not to mention, it should be very easy to get ahead in bases. Yournattack timing depends on the map, though.

Did you ever try to micro disruptors? At least once in your life? You just speak about “free” wins so easily that I doubt you ever reach Masters league.
Mech has unlimited potential in defense if you play right and you are not suppose to push with whole of your army if you see(yes new word for theorycrafters like you) that your opponent has immortal carrier army(not sure when it happen I think after 9 minutes for sure). Add ghosts, add ravens, add BCs to your army composition, widowmines, everything that simply destroy this units. All you need is to think and have enough skill to micro thats it.

Mech TvP can be won in 3 ways.

1. If you kill 20+ workers with mine drops or hellion runbuys you get a short window in the mid game where you can try to kill Protoss before they transition to air.
  2. Protoss stays on a pure ground army until 200 supply and forgets about disruptors. In that case mech can defeat Protoss, at least if you do not fight in the open.
  3. Protoss botch an all-in.

But once the game reaches late game Protoss has more or less auto-won the game. Between Tempest/HT/Disruptors/Carrier and mass-gateway warp-in there is not anything Terran can do. If you have the mechanics of Korean pro than maybe you can out-multitask the Protoss player but given equal skill Terran has no chance.

It is no coincidence that all Terrans try to kill Protoss in the midgame. They know that if they reach the late game without a huge advantage the game is already over.

1 Like

The only way those archons and immortals win is if terran has less than 80 army supply still. Just watch pretty much any TY late TvP and see how a 180 degree attack arc of protoss still dies, barely killing half the terran army.

The only way that protoss kills that army is overwhelming terran with higher economy carrier/tempest/immortal, and maybe disruptors. The reason why it’s not a major balance problem is that it takes a very long time to max out of tank/thor, and tank/Thor is slow and bad at taking expansions, and because you need 3/3 on it it’s awkward to transition into. So it takes a long time to get there, you are vulnerable as the terran all the way, and it’s hard to stop protoss from way outexpanding you.

I don’t think it’s imbalanced. Thor/tank in TvP is fine, it’s fun to play against, and, if you live long enough, fun to use. But no protoss army in existence will ever beat Thor/tank if protoss just a-moves, and no matter what almost never on the first wave.

1 Like

“Every T vs P” means 5% of games someone uses mech? Awesome.

If you lose vs mech terran as protoss, it was because you were even worse than worst terran ever.