HotS & LotV Chronological Order

Yeah, in hindsight that was very rude of me, sorry. (I’m stuck in hospital like a prisoner. It really takes a toll on my little sanity.)

Although, in my defend, the Emperor already did a good job of explaining physics to you. And, well, physics is physics, I could give you a different form of explanation, but it won’t be anything new.

Yes…you ignore it. It suffices as an explanation for you despite any scientific inaccuracies. That’s what it means when I say “workable”. Wow, words r hard. :face_with_monocle:

Yes, it is your point. You just admitted that you ignore it. It clearly doesn’t bother you.

Quit wasting my time. I hate having to explain basic $hit to you that a five year old would understand yet I have to spell out in explicit painful detail for whatever reason.

You don’t understand how the solar core works, which is why you think it doesn’t work as a scientific explanation.

The color means nothing. The power is provided by the solarite, which is why more systems get unlocked the more solarite you get, despite the star already being “on” since you first got the Spear.

You can’t disprove the solar core as a scientific explanation, but you can disprove protoss photosynthesis. Even if you thought that the star only provided a meager amount of power for the ship, you could still pretend that the sunlight was only a catalyst for khaydarin or argus crystals which gathered the real power. It’s such an easy thing to justify because it’s based on space magic.

Protoss photosynthesis however is not. The energy is explicitly from the sunlight and there’s no way that would power an alien as tall & strong as the protoss. The whole previous debate started because you were defending protoss photosynthesis while I was critiquing it. You conflated it to being similar to the solar core and that’s just factually incorrect. It’s never going to be a “strawman”, sorry.

There is nothing you can make up for photosynthesis because it’s already been very explicitly defined by the writers in terms of its scientific explanation. Go ahead and try, and I’ll demolish whatever you throw at me.

Way to prove my point. Still insulting me, and still adding nothing of value. I mean, the former would be fine if you at least did the latter.

Do we have an exact quote from Blizzard on how Protoss use their energy? For all we know they could be similar to crocodiles who could live for days without eating.

Or maybe we can write this one off as an instance where writers have no idea how real world science works.

What exactly is the debate about the solar core? Because it’s an artificial star and can be any color the Protoss want it to be, regardless of how much solarite is fed to it.

Yeah, I agree. However, saying that means you think it’s workable as well! Prepare to be crush by Gradius.

So basically, my point is that since it is a synthetic star; it should behaves as a star would. And star of difference color giving off differences energy/mass ratio. Using the color of the synthetic star, we can approximate the energy output of the Solar Core. Now, I don’t have the number with me (nor a decent calculator), but I believe the energy output is in a unit of MWatt, which is very impressive. You could powered a medium size factory, but not supermassive ship like the Spear of Adun.

My point is that both issues are equally ridiculous in pretty much the same way. One is that you can’t use sunlight to nurture any highly active life form (only tree and plant). The other is that you can’t use such a small reactor for that giant of a ship. Both are about energy source not adequate for the job.

Want to chime in? My stand is that both are unworkable. Just ignore it and enjoy the game. Gradius’ is that one is unworkable while the other is mysterious and rely on space magic enough to be fine.

If you’re going to join, please state your stand clearly; so that I know whether to side with you or crush you!

1 Like

What the fork?

Okay, normally, I don’t like doing this, but how about we ask everyone in this forum. All the other English speakers, we both can find here and ask them.

Is this really what the word ‘workable’ mean? I’m pretty clear from the very beginning, both are equally unworkable. It just not bother me. Does that mean I think they’re workable?

That aside; I’ll stick to the main topic and ask,

Is this hyperbole/sarcasm?

Gotta love this new forum’s feature. Yes, it’s a Straw Man or Hyperbole or Sarcasm.

I didn’t defend the photosynthesis. At least, not from a scientific perspective. I was clear that it’s physically impossible, but you shouldn’t be bother by it. Or if you really hate it that much, you should go after the Solar Core as well. It’s self-contradicting to criticize one, but not the other. Basically, my main issue was that you have double standard base on your subjectivity.

I’m not following, as a fake star, shouldn’t it behave however the creator of the star wants it to behave?

If the Protoss for example, want a bright pink star, who’s gonna tell them no?

I side with no one, just asking for clarification so I can make witty comments later.

You have a race who can move things with their minds and transform themselves into pure energy to be warped across the universe and this is the most ridiculous thing about them?

At least on Aiur, the Protoss have the excuse of having another form of energy to draw from aside from sunlight: the Psionic Matrix. The energy from it is so powerful that it generated a massive energy storm when they destroyed the structures maintaining it. The Xel’Naga temple there should also generate huge amounts of energy.

Shakuras also has a Xel’Naga temple that generates huge amounts of energy right down to the planet’s core, so maybe the Nerazim draws energy from it as well.

As for other worlds, I’m assuming their advanced technology can help them absorb more energy from sunlight or help them access Aiur’s energy through the warp network.

Synthetic means artificial, but its still a star and should share all the basic properties thereof.

Having said that, Solarite might just burn orange.

But I want my pink star!

Well, the creatures on Slayn whose digestive system has Solarie as its waste product is glowing yellow-orange, so you could very well be right.

I’m just tired of repeating myself at this point. Go back and reread my posts.

That would make the most sense, because they’ve also got the Khala and the void. But at that point sunlight becomes a superfluous explanation.

Here’s where it says protoss use sunlight:
Q&A batch 19

1. What do the Protoss eat? (where do they get energy and mass?)

Protoss gain nutrition from sunlight, or at a pinch, moonlight (which is just reflected sunlight anyway) by absorbing through their skins. They can go for extended periods without absorbing sunlight. What little moisture they need is also absorbed through their skin.

DT Saga:

Her skin was pallid, and the unhealthy hue told Jake that she had been imprisoned too far away from the life-giving rays of the sun, moon, or stars. The Conclave would not have let her starve to death, of course. But they clearly had permitted her the barest minimum of nourishment.

The grey skin color ensures most light is reflected anyway, and not absorbed.

One way or another, it certainly looks like the protoss are super energy efficient with regards to what they get from sunlight. That would seem to indicate that either they have magic space biology or that they get the majority of their energy from some other source. If the latter, it cant be the Khala, because the proto-Nerazim severed themselves from the Khala for months or longer before being taught how to connect to the Void by Adun. It could theoretically be the psionic matrix I guess, since that existed in a rough form due to Xel’naga technology, but as I recall the protoss evolved before Amon installed any particular level of equipment on Aiur.

In theory sunlight could just be the catalyst for whatever space magic reaction is going on.

I think what Adun taught them was actual void techniques. Opening up yourself to the void just comes naturally after you’re severed from the khala.

Again, I agree, but the problems with that are:

1. The sunlight is framed as the actual/primary sustenance, not a catalyst for the real thing that feeds them.
  2. Why bother with the sunlight explanation to begin with? They can’t get photons from the khala or void? It’s just completely pointless.

That seems unlikely, because untrained and uncontrolled use of void energies rapidly go out of control and frequently injure or kill the wielder and everybody around them. The ability to safely use void energies entirely unconsciously would seem to seriously go against that.

1 Like

It’s techniques that are dangerous, not whatever function it is that allows the protoss to live. The guy that created psionic storms all across Aiur pushed his abilities too far.

Its not just that. During the Void Ray short story we hear that apparently there is a fairly high casualty rate among the Nerazim among those learning to use void energies, and that even attempting to do so is inherently dangerous compared to using Khala energies.

If we’re working under the pretense that the void provides them with food/sustenance then that can’t be the case. Tal’Darim or Nerazim babies would kill themselves by just existing.

The void ray short story is talking about handling large amounts of energy. The amount needed to sustain a protoss’s caloric needs is absolutely minuscule when compared to cloaking or channeling a warp blade.

That’s my point. They almost certainly aren’t sustained directly by The Void, it would be like being fueled by nuclear radiation. We would have void protoss children disintegrating left right and center.

1 Like

Admitting that void energy in minuscule amounts isn’t going to kill you is way preferable to sunlight as the explanation, which makes no freaking sense.

If its in miniscule amounts, how is that any better an explanation than the miniscule amounts of energy theyre getting from sunlight?

2 Likes